CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Which C8 ME Model/Engine would you buy? Poll (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4125554-which-c8-me-model-engine-would-you-buy-poll.html)

GOC 04-12-2018 05:18 PM

Which C8 ME Model/Engine would you buy? Poll

For discussion sake, let's assume that the recent rumors are correct and the ME price increase will be roughly $10K +/- and the basic engine specs from C&D are all accurate.

1.) Now, let's say the base ME starts at $68,500 in the 1st model year and then creeps up... would you buy it? Keep in mind this will have the same LT1 motor tuned to 500HP.

2.) Or would you wait for the 5.5L V8 DOHC producing in the 600HP range version which will likely start at $78,000ish (based on base model’s price), before options.

3.) Or… would you wait for the turbo 5.5 liter V8 is supposed to make 800HP range, which I would assume starts at around $90k.

4.) Or would you go all in, and wait for the hybrid (5.5 V8 turbo + electric motor 1000HP +/-) which will clearly be the world beater version and if they include world class things like active aero you see in the Huracan Performante, I won't be surprised if it starts between $160K to $200k.

So would you buy one or not and if so, which one an why?

badass1g 04-12-2018 06:10 PM

Its all about boost these days, if this car doesn't come with turbo's or atleast a SC, I am keeping my SC Z51. Also, the car MUST have at very LEAST 530hp in stock form IMO. If there is any rise in elevation over sea level, the NA cars get SO SLOW... It is mind blowing to me how much power is lost on NA motors with elevation. I have seen well over a full second slower and that is only at 4500 ft. Boost is a must for me.

badass1g 04-12-2018 06:11 PM

Also, it one of the recent vid's of the spy shots, the car most def sounded like it was boosted (with turbo's). So that makes me very happy.

OnPoint 04-12-2018 06:52 PM

I don't want a hybrid ME. I will get the big dog, non-hybrid variant.

GOC 04-12-2018 07:03 PM

If the "leaked" engine production schedules from last year are accurate and in accordance with the C&D article, the LT1 ME may only be around for the initial 1-2 years launch.

Eventually, I would assume the 5.5L V8 NA engine will be the base model. So the starting price will really be close to $80K for the ME once the LT1 phases out.

I voted for the turbo V8, but I would heavily consider the NA V8 as well. Something about the sound and feel of a 9000RPM redline NA engine you just can't replace.

I agree force induction seems to be the direction of the industry, especially with the EPA regulations. Maintenance costs will go up for turbo engines, but not sure anyone that can afford the car would care that much.

Walter Raulerson 04-12-2018 07:23 PM

Some folks say the current Z06 is not for everybody but the 600 ME might be a better car for me. However I don't want to wait years to get the ME car . I'm not too old for that car but there are other things I want later than a car.I'm hoping the first models have 525-550 that'll be just fine with me

sunsalem 04-12-2018 10:23 PM

As a C7 Z06 owner, I will say the LT4's power is not needed for the street.
A flat plane high-revving DOHC at about 600hp or even less would be good enough for me.

PobreWey 04-12-2018 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by GOC (Post 1596984514)
For discussion sake, let's assume that the recent rumors are correct and the ME price increase will be roughly $10K +/- and the basic engine specs from C&D are all accurate.

1.) Now, let's say the base ME starts at $68,500 in the 1st model year and then creeps up... would you buy it? Keep in mind this will have the same LT1 motor tuned to 500HP.

2.) Or would you wait for the 5.5L V8 DOHC producing in the 600HP range version which will likely start at $78,000ish (based on base model’s price), before options.

3.) Or… would you wait for the turbo 5.5 liter V8 is supposed to make 800HP range, which I would assume starts at around $90k.

4.) Or would you go all in, and wait for the hybrid (5.5 V8 turbo + electric motor 1000HP +/-) which will clearly be the world beater version and if they include world class things like active aero you see in the Huracan Performante, I won't be surprised if it starts between $160K to $200k.

So would you buy one or not and if so, which one an why?

I'm a pretty cheap dude but I also like to spoil myself sometimes. All I know is I will be a C8 owner and I would prefer something new and exciting so likely the 2nd option.

JerriVette 04-12-2018 10:35 PM

I'm all in for the 500 hp LT1 version. I'd like a dct and a z51 heavy duty suspension and cooling system.

I rarely find the need for all the luxury options as well.

Given the choice I'd go for the 1LT interior trim.

Jmo and I'm sure not a popular forum choice but it would be my personal preference.

LightningBolt 04-12-2018 11:47 PM

LT1 or 5.5 would be enough.
Manual if offered (sigh)
2LT
Torch Red with Kalahari interior and chrome rims

LightningBolt 04-12-2018 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1596986875)
I'm all in for the 500 hp LT1 version. I'd like a dct and a z51 heavy duty suspension and cooling system.

I rarely find the need for all the luxury options as well.

Given the choice I'd go for the 1LT interior trim.

Jmo and I'm sure not a popular forum choice but it would be my personal preference.

The forum can buy their own cars. Love what you love and don't make excuses for it! :cheers:

JerriVette 04-13-2018 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by LightningBolt (Post 1596987270)
LT1 or 5.5 would be enough.
Manual if offered (sigh)
2LT
Torch Red with Kalahari interior and chrome rims

I believe there will be a manual offered. I believe it's all nonsense that no manual transmission will be offered to try and sell as many manual transmission c7 s as possible.

The c8 might launch with jut a dct but I don't see the no manual transmission option lasting more than a few months..

Fwiw I've been driving manual transmission cars for forty years...my corvette is a manual transmission.. I just thought I'd give this dct if it's actually offered a try.

The last Porsche I test drove had a dct and it was pretty slick.

That said...I don't believe no manual on the c8...other than at launch....if even that...

An outside supplier will supply the dct if one is available. I see no reason why an outside supplier can't offer the manual transmission...

If little Porsche can offer a manual...if Mazda can offer a manual I'm sure the corvette team can offer a manual..

I still think a torque converter automatic 10 speed might work its way into the option list....

GM s release of information on the c8 through car and Driver is full of smoke and mirrors...

Just look at the car and Driver sketches...they literally look like the fun house mirror...

Same for any information released...

Some will be accurate and some will be fostered by GM to mislead.

For those that drop the coin for the twin turbo Dohc v8... more power to you.

The attributes of the ohv v8 as in a 500 hp LT1 are more than enough to warrant the durability of the design...not to mention the low cost...

Big pluses without question...

For those at altitude.,,of course forced induction...! Smart move:cheers:

sunsalem 04-13-2018 03:30 AM

Looking at the production numbers of the M7 and the A8, it's safe to say the clutch pedal could very well become a thing of the past fairly soon.

JerriVette 04-13-2018 07:36 AM

20 to 25 percent manual production with a great percentage of corvettes sold from dealer inventory shows there is still sufficient demand for manual transmission corvettes for the c8.

The hysteria created by having rumors running around that the c7 is the "last" manual transmission corvette can help fuel sales of the c7 for its final year..

I don't personally believe manuals will end with the seventh gen...

Maybe just the first year of c8 production a dct will be the only option...maybe just the first six months.,

capevettes 04-13-2018 08:51 AM

The 800 horse version most probably will be the Z06 variant. Count me in :thumbs:

RandomTask 04-13-2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by capevettes (Post 1596988373)
The 800 horse version most probably will be the Z06 variant. Count me in :thumbs:

Same. Go big or go home.

tbrenny33 04-13-2018 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by capevettes (Post 1596988373)

IF the 800 hp version were to start at 90k I’d probably go wth that but I highly doubt it would start under 115-120k. That’s a really big jump, but hey who knows.

Quinten33 04-13-2018 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1596987996)
20 to 25 percent manual production with a great percentage of corvettes sold from dealer inventory shows there is still sufficient demand for manual transmission corvettes for the c8.

The hysteria created by having rumors running around that the c7 is the "last" manual transmission corvette can help fuel sales of the c7 for its final year..

I don't personally believe manuals will end with the seventh gen...

Maybe just the first year of c8 production a dct will be the only option...maybe just the first six months.,

The beautiful new Aston Martin Vantage Is currently only available with a ZF 8-speed. They said that a manual option wouldn’t be out for a couple of years. I believe that the Mid-engine car would be similar, if a manual is happening. Making a manual transmission car isn’t their priority. In fact, that 20-25% will drop to 10-15% due to the DCT. Many only choose the manual because the ZF sucks In the C7. I hope the
manual lives on, but I’m losing hope.

DickieDoo 04-13-2018 11:25 AM

don't rule out mild hybridization on even the base model. Dodge is doing this with the 2019 Ram trucks and GM can easily design this in to work for a base and a more extreme version, there would be some economy of scale doing this...

tooold2race 04-13-2018 01:45 PM

While I want the 'big dog' my issue will be the wait time. I may just get one of the lesser engine models rather than wait two or three years.

PS: I think the price ranges for the various ME models based on the engines are way off.... the numbers are much too low!