CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   2018 Stingray - Sick Engine (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4125709-2018-stingray-sick-engine.html)

Star129 04-13-2018 12:06 AM

2018 Stingray - Sick Engine

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b852ec101.jpeg
Hey guys,

I have a 2018 Stingray with 4700 miles and it’s currently at the dealer with a sick engine. They’re saying either a blown head gasket or cracked block.

The dealer can’t get to it for 2 weeks for official diagnosis and they aren’t offering any courtesy car in the mean time. I filed a case with GM but, that’s not progressing in a timely manner either.

Please let me know if anyone has advice for this situation. It’s a brand new car special ordered and delivered to me a few months ago, now it’s sitting outside at a dealership broken.😖😩☹️

Star129 04-13-2018 07:02 PM

2018 Engine Failure (4700 miles) HELP!!!

Filed my case with GM on Tuesday and was told I would hear from senior management by Thursday. No phone call yesterday so, I called GM today and was told they would call the dealership to help with a courtesy vehicle. My brand new corvette is still at the dealership broke down (SITTING OUTSIDE!) and it’s day 7 without a vehicle. :banghead:
Anyone have this same issue and how did you handle it?

Maxie2U 04-13-2018 07:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sounds like the dealer isn’t stepping up. Any chance there is another Chevrolet dealer near you? If yes, you may want to go in to speak with the service manager to find out if he is willing to give you better service.

ssidekickbp 04-13-2018 07:22 PM

Very sorry to hear. Things like this always sour a big purchase.

JimNeedsC7 04-13-2018 07:29 PM

If you are committed to working with that dealership you are most likely screwed. If you can find another dealer who will do better you can consider taking it to them. But you might have to pay for the transport in that case. Overall that might be better than working with a dealer that obviously doesn't really give a crap about your car or about you as a customer.

Bill Dearborn 04-13-2018 07:57 PM

You might be in the middle of the decision process. With an engine failure the dealer notifies GM and one of the first things GM tells them to do is to send GM the engine tune data. If that passes muster GM then tells the dealer to tear down the engine far enough to find the fault and build a should cost estimate to repair the engine. Once the should cost is complete GM evaluates the repair cost Vs replacement cost and makes the decision on how they want to go. When the shop tears the engine down they are committing a lift for a certain time. Lifts make money servicing cars so if a lift is tied up with a single car on it for a long period of time it isn't producing and the mechanic who normally uses the lift isn't making money either. You will get put to the end of the line in a push down stack where anytime another car comes in with a problem that can be resolved quickly it will be worked on before yours.

Bill

Crossed Flags Fan 04-13-2018 08:13 PM

Do a search for Mary Barra's email address. It seems that someone at GM actually does respond (usually within a day) and the results are favorable. At the very least they owe you a loaner (but don't expect it to be a Vette).
Good luck.

DALE#3 04-13-2018 08:18 PM

Sucks to Hear That...Hang in their.Be Persistent:toetap:

HAD2HAV2 04-13-2018 08:27 PM

Lawyer. I understand the delay on parts but you paid for a new engine when you bought the car. A loaner car is your right.

Classic-Chevy-Guy 04-13-2018 08:31 PM

Lemon law??

Maxie2U 04-13-2018 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan (Post 1596993046)
Do a search for Mary Barra's email address. It seems that someone at GM actually does respond (usually within a day) and the results are favorable. At the very least they owe you a loaner (but don't expect it to be a Vette).
Good luck.

LOL. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maxie2U 04-13-2018 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy (Post 1596993174)
Lemon law??

Have you ever read any State Lemon Law? If you had you would know his situation does NOT qualify.

Sailfun 04-13-2018 08:38 PM

Did you purchase the car from the dealer you are asking to service it?

C5Driver 04-13-2018 09:05 PM

Here is what to do. Call the BBB tell them you have a new car with most likely a blown motor and you want to file for a lemon law buyback or exchange car. Tell them you contacted GM C/S and have gotten no satisfaction. Within 3 days of calling the BBB you will get the right person at GM calling you.

C5Driver 04-13-2018 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Star129 (Post 1596992552)
Filed my case with GM on Tuesday and was told I would hear from senior management by Thursday. No phone call yesterday so, I called GM today and was told they would call the dealership to help with a courtesy vehicle. My brand new corvette is still at the dealership broke down (SITTING OUTSIDE!) and it’s day 7 without a vehicle. :banghead:
Anyone have this same issue and how did you handle it?

Keep track of whats going on. Most States have a 30 day limit on down time some States even less. Once you pass that 30 day mark they HAVE to replace the car by State Law. Look up your States parameters online.

Star129 04-13-2018 09:23 PM

Bad engine?

Thanks for the replies. I purchased the car through Kerbec corvette, I could not find a similar unit in Texas anywhere. The service manager at my local dealer said the car was leaking coolant around the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipes are wet inside. This car was broke in via GM recommendation and has never been ran hard or raced, there are no aftermarket mods or programmers involved. The first oil change was with this same dealer that will hopefully be making the repairs. I’m just so disgusted that this $62k car will have this major repair attached to the vehicle history report I’m hoping GM does the right thing and stands behind there product. We where told by our sales man not to move the car to another dealership? The GM case manager told us we would have a loaner car two days ago but we have nothing. We where nailed by hurricane Harvey last year and got burned by or insurance company and we are still in recovery mode. This new car was a breath of fresh air until last Friday.

PobreWey 04-13-2018 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1596993195)
LOL. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Exactamente ! When you read the posters location it makes sense though.

Don't listen to stupid advice. GM will fix it. Leaving a negative review on their Google review page or Facebook will get you more action done however I'd just be patient and they will fix it. When I had an issue with my dealership I spoke with the general manager and we resolved it fast. 2 weeks isn't long in the grand scheme of things.. Email the dealerships GM and be respectful but state your case and document all communications. Let them know your concerns about it being on the vehicles history. I'm positive you will get a good outcome in the end.

Sailfun 04-13-2018 11:15 PM

I suspect the purchase from Kerbeck is why the dealer is slow to fix the car and will not provide a loaner. If the maintenance department is at capacity their customers are going to get priority and rightfully so.

C5Driver 04-14-2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Star129 (Post 1596993554)
Thanks for the replies. I purchased the car through Kerbec corvette, I could not find a similar unit in Texas anywhere. The service manager at my local dealer said the car was leaking coolant around the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipes are wet inside. This car was broke in via GM recommendation and has never been ran hard or raced, there are no aftermarket mods or programmers involved. The first oil change was with this same dealer that will hopefully be making the repairs. I’m just so disgusted that this $62k car will have this major repair attached to the vehicle history report I’m hoping GM does the right thing and stands behind there product. We where told by our sales man not to move the car to another dealership? The GM case manager told us we would have a loaner car two days ago but we have nothing. We where nailed by hurricane Harvey last year and got burned by or insurance company and we are still in recovery mode. This new car was a breath of fresh air until last Friday.

Unfortunately GM has a pretty bad track record with the C7 for various types of engine, transmission and drive line failures.

PatternDayTrader 04-14-2018 01:55 PM

The dealer with the car is getting screwed over as well, and that's why they are not in a big hurry to deal with it.
Anyone know the warranty labor time for an engine R&R on this car ?
I'm betting its less than ten hours.