CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Look what followed us home - wife says I can keep it! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4126015-look-what-followed-us-home-wife-says-i-can-keep-it.html)

Railroadman 04-13-2018 08:11 PM

Look what followed us home - wife says I can keep it!

Well a couple weeks ago there was a project '64 on the "Opinions on these C1-C2's For Sale" thread which caught my eye. Contacted the seller but he said it was sold. A couple days later I got a message saying the deal fell through. :eek:

Long story short, between a very understanding wife, and some advice and support from Benton (ChattanoogaJSB) I reserved a Uhaul "just in case" and we made the 990 mile trip from western NY to northern Iowa.

It has the usual problem at the kickups, not sure if it's repairable or needs a new frame. And the hood cable is broken and I don't even know whether it's a 250 or 300hp. Birdcage looked good through the remote probe. I have the car's entire history, even the owner's manual, radio instructions, and other paperwork. From what I can tell, it is very close to original although obviously quite ratty.

We came to a price fair to both sides given the unknowns involved, moved it from where it has sat for 10+ years, and uhauled it home. Once I knock down a wall in the garage and make some space, I'll go over it in detail and no doubt will have a ton of questions here. (unlike n00bs, I DO know how to use the "search" function :lol:). .Plans are to keep it fairly close to original, but not go the NCRS route, but to have fun tinkering, and ultimately driving the wheels off it.

And while it's great to have a C-2 after 40+ years without one, I have no plans to get rid of our C-4, either.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f516f065ea.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...047240fcc3.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6044c6fa9d.jpg

BANG11 04-13-2018 08:18 PM

Awesome!!!!:cheers:

Glad you got back into the C-2 world.

BR69 04-13-2018 08:23 PM

Congratulations!! That will be a lot of fun. Also, you have a great wife.

dmaxx3500 04-13-2018 08:25 PM

cool

6T5RUSH 04-13-2018 08:25 PM

Congratulations! Well done. Happy wife...happy life! Glad to see you and your wife are safe and sound back home AND the new addition is in your garage.

:thumbs:

Jim
In God We Trust!

Nowhere Man 04-13-2018 08:28 PM

nice project. did you finish that truck you where working on

capevettes 04-13-2018 08:28 PM

Congratulations. Looks like a worthy project. Nice road trip to get it. Have fun with the resto and keep the pics coming.
Good luck with it.

bigearl56 04-13-2018 08:29 PM

Blue on Blue

Don, if that car has a blue interior it's the same combo I bought in 1965. Wife drove it while I was in the Army and never had a problem. We sold it to make a down payment on our first house. I wonder sometimes whatever hapend to it . :thumbs:
Earl

Railroadman 04-13-2018 08:35 PM

My heart has never left the C-2 world (nor the C-1 world either, for that matter!)

Wife is a keeper for sure, a wonderful woman who has put up with me for over 36 years and somehow has not wound up in the looney bin from it. I knew the kickups were bad and eventually convinced myself the birdcage would be totally shot so why bother. She insisted that if I did not at least go and see for myself, I would always be kicking myself in the rear. True!

I know it's not perfect, but half the fun for me is the work and the skinned knuckles and the satisfaction. I believe this car has enough work to be fun, but is not so far gone that it's foolish.

Railroadman 04-13-2018 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1596993155)
nice project. did you finish that truck you where working on

No, Keith, I have only been working on that truck about 30 years. But it's getting there! :rofl:

Had a great road trip, took the wife to a nice dinner the night we arrived but before we saw the car the next morning. Coming back was no fun - I was paranoid to leave the C-2 on an open trailer at a motel, I have heard of such things vanishing. So we spent the morning and early afternoon getting it to roll and loaded up, then drove all the way home and got here 10:30AM this morning. :crazy2:

Railroadman 04-13-2018 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by bigearl56 (Post 1596993162)
Don, if that car has a blue interior it's the same combo I bought in 1965. Wife drove it while I was in the Army and never had a problem. We sold it to make a down payment on our first house. I wonder sometimes whatever hapend to it . :thumbs:
Earl

This one was actually bought new in Buffalo NY an hour west of me!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0e5abe325e.jpg

Nowhere Man 04-13-2018 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 1596993227)
No, Keith, I have only been working on that truck about 30 years. But it's getting there! :rofl:

Had a great road trip, took the wife to a nice dinner the night we arrived but before we saw the car the next morning. Coming back was no fun - I was paranoid to leave the C-2 on an open trailer at a motel, I have heard of such things vanishing. So we spent the morning and early afternoon getting it to roll and loaded up, then drove all the way home and got here 10:30AM this morning. :crazy2:

thats a very valid concern. years ago when dad and I went and hauled his 67 home 500 miles people would follow us for miles and never pass and when pulling off to a rest area they would follow us in. i a few things go through you mind at that point:ack:

Rusler John 04-13-2018 08:49 PM

Oh man! You're making me jealous.
Good luck and have fun with the build.
Glad you made it back safely.

Railroadman 04-13-2018 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1596993256)
thats a very valid concern. years ago when dad and I went and hauled his 67 home 500 miles people would follow us for miles and never pass and when pulling off to a rest area they would follow us in. i a few things go through you mind at that point:ack:

Only 2 or 3 years ago on here there was the story of someone who had a Vette and a Harley in an enclosed trailer at a motel. In the morning all that, plus the pickup he was towing with, had all vanished.

This Vette has the original wheel covers, I removed them and put them in our pickup. And at rest areas, we took turns so someone was at the truck at all times. Nothing suspicious happened but you never know.

Railroadman 04-13-2018 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rusler John (Post 1596993309)
Oh man! You're making me jealous.
Good luck and have fun with the build.
Glad you made it back safely.

Check your email - just sent! :thumbs:

Robert61 04-13-2018 08:57 PM

Great project!

vettebuyer6369 04-13-2018 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 1596993322)
Only 2 or 3 years ago on here there was the story of someone who had a Vette and a Harley in an enclosed trailer at a motel. In the morning all that, plus the pickup he was towing with, had all vanished.

This Vette has the original wheel covers, I removed them and put them in our pickup. And at rest areas, we took turns so someone was at the truck at all times. Nothing suspicious happened but you never know.

Those were ‘63 covers in the first pic, right?

Frankie the Fink 04-13-2018 09:01 PM

You can drive yourself batpoo crazy worrying about theft, muggers, ninjas, ISIS, etc..
Insure the car and don't be so paranoid you can't enjoy it.

Nowhere Man 04-13-2018 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1596993394)
You can drive yourself batpoo crazy worrying about theft, muggers, ninjas, ISIS, etc..
Insure the car and don't be so paranoid you can't enjoy it.

Frank most when you buy a car and transporting it, the car doesn't have insurance yet. So theft is huge concern

Railroadman 04-13-2018 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369 (Post 1596993378)
Those were ‘63 covers in the first pic, right?

My first C-2 was a '67 with Rally's, and my '63 had plain steel wheels with no covers IIRC. If you say these are 63's I won't argue, I'm still real new to the nuances of 64's. What you see in the pic was what was on all 4 corners.