CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   high torque starter??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4126576-high-torque-starter.html)

playsdixie 04-15-2018 02:26 PM

high torque starter???

My 85 starter has to "click" a few times before it starts...doesn't do it all the time, been going on for some time...figured it's about time to replace it anyway, never have touched it....connections seem ok....looking at places that sell them, ecklers etc, they have these "hi-torque starters that promote lower profiles and better performance. Is there any advantage to using one over a good GM OEM starter??? I have a bit more h/p than stock, but nothing crazy....:lurk:

84 4+3 04-15-2018 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by playsdixie (Post 1597002718)
My 85 starter has to "click" a few times before it starts...doesn't do it all the time, been going on for some time...figured it's about time to replace it anyway, never have touched it....connections seem ok....looking at places that sell them, ecklers etc, they have these "hi-torque starters that promote lower profiles and better performance. Is there any advantage to using one over a good GM OEM starter??? I have a bit more h/p than stock, but nothing crazy....:lurk:

The 90s pickups use a similar gear reduction style iirc they bolt up the same. Unless you have something crazy a peanut is just fine I believe. (From the little I've looked into it.) The big one is fine too unless you have headers or a higher compression engine. Or both.

C409 04-16-2018 08:19 AM

..... Your original starter sufficed for 30+ years ... how much more advantage do you need ? ... If you haven't done anything to your engine that dramatically increases the cylinder pressure (compression , hot cam) a standard type starter motor will be more than sufficient ... I would suggest taking yours to a local rebuilder rather than doing a parts store exchange .....

RWDsmoke 04-16-2018 11:12 AM

The full size starter on my 86 didn't last too long after I installed headers. A smaller starter is better with headers and about 10 pounds lighter, much easier for us old guys to install.

vader86 04-16-2018 03:05 PM

Best thing you can do is install the 88-91 starter. Its much smaller than the 85-87 behemoth.

It also makes installing headers easier, if you do that.

playsdixie 04-16-2018 06:05 PM

appreciate the responses, just one last stupid question...most vendors show the gm starters with a conical end....some of the gear reduction starters have a square end...are they going to fit in my 85??? :cheers:

84 4+3 04-16-2018 06:07 PM

Yes

69427 04-16-2018 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by vader86 (Post 1597009953)
Best thing you can do is install the 88-91 starter. Its much smaller than the 85-87 behemoth.

It also makes installing headers easier, if you do that.

:iagree:

aklim 04-17-2018 02:52 PM

Bring your starter to a rebuild place. See what they say. Now if you bring a 6 pack of something decent, they might even be able to "core" it for you towards a newer starter they rebuilt. ONLY IF THEY HAVE A GOOD REP DO YOU DO THAT.