CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   1985 Corvette Stock muffler mods. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4127240-1985-corvette-stock-muffler-mods.html)

Markever234 04-16-2018 11:54 PM

1985 Corvette Stock muffler mods.

Evening fellas,

So the other day i read that stock c4(1985) mufflers had a dummy
exhaust port, so I go out to my project car... lo and behold... my
vette is a dual exhaust, not a quad exhaust. Needless to say I was a little devastated... This got me thinking though.. can the stock mufflers be modified? specifically.. what is behind the dummy port? Can I drill it out and make it a true quad exhaust? Why did GM do this? Where can I find a
diagram of stock muffler?... but alas... there doesn't seem to be that much info on the topic.. or I suck at searching. Either way.. any info on
this abomination to american muscle would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks as always.

- Mark

84 4+3 04-17-2018 12:03 AM

I believe I have read about people knocking out the second port back in the day... probably won't notice much of a difference though.

gerardvg 04-17-2018 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by 84 4+3 (Post 1597013798)
I believe I have read about people knocking out the second port back in the day... probably won't notice much of a difference though.

:withstupid:

Oh no no no ... with factory mufflers it gets real loud when you open that blank port, I had my dumb half hour of the day when i did that. She was way too darn loud, had to buy new mufflers.
The exhaust enters that section and has to travel through the baffles to exit the other side, open that and you have straight out not muffled exhaust.. very very loud.. the noise police will make a bee line to you..
Some come with a small hole in the blanked off section, to get the same color as the other outlet.

84 4+3 04-17-2018 08:30 AM

My much of a difference was in performance/power. Should have clarified that one lol.

dclafleur 04-17-2018 09:20 AM

In all truth it isn't a true dual exhaust on an early C4 anyways, the exhaust comes together at a y-pipe in front of the catalytic converter. If you're looking for power there's more to be found at the front and middle than at the back.

Louder exhaust might help the butt dyno, but so do hard tires, it doesn't make the car faster though.

vader86 04-17-2018 10:38 AM

I lost the mufflers to rust before drilling mine out.

Markever234 04-18-2018 04:19 AM

I'm not looking for extra power out of the car just yet. I wouldnt mind a little extra sound, but nothing extreme.. Does anyone know what is behind the blank? If I knock it out will
it damage any muffler internals? Also.. recommend method to removing the blank?

vader86 04-18-2018 11:28 AM

No it should just be a thick plate, you can drill through it, you might cut into a baffle. I believe there are some baffles oriented behind it, but I'm going by old memory of what mine looked like when rusted through.

FASTAZU 04-18-2018 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by gerardvg (Post 1597014052)
:withstupid:

Oh no no no ... with factory mufflers it gets real loud when you open that blank port, I had my dumb half hour of the day when i did that. She was way too darn loud, had to buy new mufflers.
The exhaust enters that section and has to travel through the baffles to exit the other side, open that and you have straight out not muffled exhaust.. very very loud.. the noise police will make a bee line to you..
Some come with a small hole in the blanked off section, to get the same color as the other outlet.

:iagree: Did this once and the drone was so bad I put a plug in to put it back stock, Get headers and catback if you want better sound and a small bump in HP.

Markever234 04-19-2018 06:52 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys ! Since mine seems to be in pretty good shape, I think I will
hold off on drilling them and wait until I can purchase a a full 2.5inch system.