CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Terrible engine noise, please help! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4127807-terrible-engine-noise-please-help.html)

panamaniac 04-18-2018 11:30 AM

Terrible engine noise, please help!

Hoping this is something small but sounds bad. Checked oil and it was a little low but not out—added a bit more but didn’t help. Kinda sounds like it’s coming more from those front belts than from the engine itself but hard to say.

Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

MelWff 04-18-2018 11:36 AM

1. Is the fan hitting anything?
2. Take a length of rubber hose hold one end to your ear and hold the other end against the alternator, the power steering pump, etc. to determine where the noise is coming from.

stumpshot 04-18-2018 11:49 AM

Possibly a water pump, alternator or power steering bearing? Make sure all your belts are running true and not hitting anything. Check the bolts on the accessory brackets and fan.

panamaniac 04-18-2018 12:08 PM

Ya I can’t even get it started now so I wonder if something is stuck. Tried for a minute and got a chemical smell from the car when I tried. I tried moving the radiator fan by hand but can barely get any movement one way or another—is that expected when car is off? Belts appear to maybe be a little forward of true but hard to say.

MelWff 04-18-2018 01:19 PM

if you have a clutch fan and cannt move it, the clutch is seized but that will not prevent the car from starting.
Do you see antifreeze dripping from the water pump?

panamaniac 04-18-2018 01:21 PM

Thanks—I was talking about the radiator fan, not the clutch fan (I assume they’re different things). Also I didn’t see any leaking.

Tampa Jerry 04-18-2018 01:40 PM

Noise

Start by taking the front belt off and running the engine. If the noise persists, take the second belt off. If you still hear the noise, the problem is within the engine. Jerry

calwldlife 04-18-2018 02:17 PM

good news is that it sounds external.
bad news is that finding the accessory
part requires some work.

Big2Bird 04-18-2018 02:32 PM

My best guess is the fan clutch has died, and the fan is rubbing the shroud.

panamaniac 04-18-2018 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big2Bird (Post 1597025044)
My best guess is the fan clutch has died, and the fan is rubbing the shroud.

Thanks so much! Did some research on clutch fans generally but it wasn't obvious to me...if everything is fine with the clutch fan, should it spin freely or NOT spin freely when the car is off?

HeadsU.P. 04-18-2018 03:25 PM

Spin with just a little resistance with engine off. No free wheeling.

panamaniac 04-18-2018 03:27 PM

Lots of resistance!

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P. (Post 1597025422)
Spin with just a little resistance with engine off. No free wheeling.

I’m getting lots of resistance belong about 1/8th turn of the radiator fan—see this video:

HeadsU.P. 04-18-2018 03:32 PM

I can't run the video today for some reason. But if fan is really stiff, must be shot like BigBird said. There is fluid inside them things. The fan clutch. Not BigBird.

panamaniac 04-18-2018 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P. (Post 1597025464)
I can't run the video today for some reason. But if its really stiff, must be shot like BigBird said. There is fluid inside them things. The fan clutch. Not BigBird.

weird, maybe try now? Just readded link. Video hopefully will make it obvious to someone who knows what the heck is up lol

MelWff 04-18-2018 03:47 PM

either the clutch is seized or you dont have a clutch. Need a better look at the fan and what it is mounted to in your next video. Can you get the camera in front of the fan to see the center hub?

flyeri 04-18-2018 03:48 PM

I cannot see a clutch in front of the fan. Is there anything that looks like this on the front side of the fan?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e4d405eda9.jpg

panamaniac 04-18-2018 04:04 PM

No clutch

Oh, sorry I didn’t think to say earlier—this is an automatic, so no user-operated clutch. I assume that makes a difference?

edit: very sorry to have missed this, sorry gang.

calwldlife 04-18-2018 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by panamaniac (Post 1597025678)
Oh, sorry I didn’t think to say earlier—this is an automatic, so no user-operated clutch. I assume that makes a difference?

edit: very sorry to have missed this, sorry gang.

the fan clutch may or may not lock up when hot.
this alone is not noisy.
the problem would be it is wobbling allowing fan tips to hit
shroud.
the noise does sound like a fan to shroud issue BUT
that doesn't mean it is.

earlier poster told you to remove fan belts to see
which accessory is making noise.

do some work

panamaniac 04-18-2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by calwldlife (Post 1597025702)
the fan clutch may or may not lock up when hot.
this alone is not noisy.
the problem would be it is wobbling allowing fan tips to hit
shroud.
the noise does sound like a fan to shroud issue BUT
that doesn't mean it is.

earlier poster told you to remove fan belts to see
which accessory is making noise.

do some work

Thanks, will do as soon as I can. I'm working today as well so can only jump in with these quick questions and checks for now and was hoping it was something on the simple end.

av81 04-18-2018 05:34 PM

loosen all the belts and spin everything by hand you will find it no problem if its driven by the belts , just guessing the most likley item would probably the a/c compressor ,