CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   ZR1 money loss after GM drop ME C8! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4127867-zr1-money-loss-after-gm-drop-me-c8.html)

timmyZ06 04-18-2018 01:56 PM

ZR1 money loss after GM drop ME C8!

Since the ME C8 is getting more and more closer, what kind of impact it will have on ZR1 sales/ price hit, after GM unveil the new C8 at the beginning of Jan 2019? Aren't you guys worried that will majorly hit ZR1 prices? Specially for those who are paying 10K over MSRP!! Which i will never do for any vehicules whatsoever! Im not trying to piss on ZR1 onwers parade at all! Love the ZR1, but the C8 looks VERY promising!
Its a legimate question, and im curious what people think about it !:cheers:

HTXSkydiver 04-18-2018 02:01 PM

Didn't buy my ZR1 as an investment, I bought it to drive and enjoy. I have almost no interest in the ME from the renderings and the fact that I prefer front engine/RWD. Just like any model, when the new body style comes out the old one takes a hit. No big deal and I'm sure every ZR1 owner/buyer is well aware of the ME lurking over the horizon.

Worth mentioning though that the ZR1 will possibly/probably be the last front engine and/or manual trans Corvette ever. Hows that for future collectibility?

timmyZ06 04-18-2018 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver (Post 1597024829)
Didn't buy my ZR1 as an investment, I bought it to drive and enjoy. I have almost no interest in the ME from the renderings and the fact that I prefer front engine/RWD. Just like any model, when the new body style comes out the old one takes a hit. No big deal and I'm sure every ZR1 owner/buyer is well aware of the ME lurking over the horizon.

Worth mentioning though that the ZR1 will possibly/probably be the last front engine and/or manual trans Corvette ever. Hows that for future collectibility?

Sure the M7 going out is huge factor! Will also help the Z06 M7 value as well! I myself, will only look for a M7 ZR1, i dont care if A8 is faster.
But it doesnt make sense that GM introduced the ZR1 and a year after an all new C8 ME!!!

HTXSkydiver 04-18-2018 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by timmyZ06 (Post 1597024869)
Sure the M7 going out is huge factor! Will also help the Z06 M7 value as well! I myself, will only look for a M7 ZR1, i dont care if A8 is faster.
But it doesnt make sense that GM introduced the ZR1 and a year after an all new C8 ME!!!

It has been well documented the ZR1 was never originally planned for the C7 platform. The Corvette Team decided they could/should make it due to technological developments after the initial development of the Z06. Effectively the ZR1 was squeezed into the lineup at the end of the C7 platform's product cycle while the C8/ME has been in development for a much longer time with the release date already set. The ZR1 and other C7 models will sell alongside the ME for a year, two, or three and will still make GM some nice profit during that time.

hcvone 04-18-2018 02:32 PM

It's a car to me, they will make more and they will keep getting better, I am sure next year when I sell the ZR1 there will be an even better choice, don't keep them long enough to worry what will it be worth. :thumbs:

23/C8Z 04-18-2018 02:51 PM

Lol. Anyone that has the means and will to buy a new Chevy at MSRP or above becaise they want it "now" is certainly capable of taking hit if that were to happen.

hopefully for any C7 owner's sake. It doesnt go down that way :rofl:

charles7970 04-18-2018 03:28 PM

I'm sure current ZR1's aren't worried about the upcoming C8 which currently is looking like a Chinese knock off Ferrari but all we have are photo shopped images as of right now and from the looks of it will be heavier and slower than a Z06. Until the C8 Z06 or whatever comes out..

427Z0SX 04-18-2018 04:03 PM

I'm guessing that the 2020 C8's performance will be nowhere near that of the ZR1. Until, the "Z06" or "ZR1" version of the C8 arrives, whenever that is.

JerriVette 04-18-2018 04:06 PM

I believe even the c6 zr1 has held its value well even as the c7 came out.

I wouldn't expect anything less from the c7 zr1 over time,

txoutdoors 04-18-2018 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX (Post 1597025665)
I'm guessing that the 2020 C8's performance will be nowhere near that of the ZR1. Until, the "Z06" or "ZR1" version of the C8 arrives, whenever that is.

:iagree:

The C8 will have to start with a base model that has the cost and performance not far from the base model Stingray. If the C8 starts at ZR1 pricing, Chevy will loose a huge portion of the market.

Kenwood1113 04-18-2018 08:39 PM

More and more closer.........vehicules. 😂😂

svtkeith 04-19-2018 09:15 AM

I could care less what the C8 ME looks like because the C7 Z06 and ZR1 are gorgeous looking and will stay that way.

Tmill 04-19-2018 09:25 AM

I don't care about the ME i will keep my 2019 ZR1 and drive the car!! The C8 ME looks like a cheap knock off of a bad Acura..

I brake for nothing 04-19-2018 09:44 AM

Not to me. The best performance models almost always come at the very end of the production run. I think the market for the ZR1 would only be affected by the performance C8 models and for me that would be the very end of run again. Mid 2020 - ish.

Who wants a base model - skinny body vette or a first year Z06 etc unless your business is developing product. There always full of issues. Run a gen back and get the very best of that gen.. :cheers:

pcguy2u 04-19-2018 10:00 AM

Rough crowd...

Suns_PSD 04-19-2018 10:44 AM

Of course it will drop in value, most all cars do. And the more expensive the car is, the more actual money lost since % drops are essentially the same.

I assume that most people that buy a $140K car are pretty comfortable losing $40-80K over the next 8 years or so in depreciation. I mean if you spend that much on a car, certainly you should have some deep pockets.

Palantirion 04-19-2018 02:45 PM

There will ALWAYS be a faster car. There will NEVER be another driver's car.
(except the Miata, which is a great car but a totally different style)
IT IS OVER with the C7 ZR1, unless GM changes it's mind about several design factors of the C8, or perhaps TVR gets rescued but that's a serious pipe dream. If you want a manual front engine RWD sports car after the ZR1 ends you will have only kit cars and hot rods as options.

3 Z06ZR1 04-19-2018 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Palantirion (Post 1597033066)
IT IS OVER with the C7 ZR1, unless GM changes it's mind about several design factors of the C8, or perhaps TVR gets rescued but that's a serious pipe dream. If you want a manual front engine RWD sports car after the ZR1 ends you will have only kit cars and hot rods as options.

As far as drivers cars the 2019 Z06 and ZR1 2019 are identical if the extra 105hp is not a factor. What you said actually applies to both cars.

Palantirion 04-20-2018 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1597036358)
As far as drivers cars the 2019 Z06 and ZR1 2019 are identical if the extra 105hp is not a factor. What you said actually applies to both cars.

- True. Mostly. The ZR1's shaker scoop does add a viceral thrill that the Z06 (and every other new car) lacks. A minor detail, but a very special minor detail.

As for my "never" statement, the ZR1 model chronologically debuted after the Z06 so I think of it as "the end" of the C7 line. Certainly it is the pinnacle. None of us know at this time when the last C7 will be produced or what model it will be. I would not be surprised if the production timeline for the Z06 becomes similarly limited as the ZR1. The C8 is coming, soon, and I am beginning to suspect that GM will not produce both cars simultaneously. But that's just gut feeling atm.

samgauto 04-20-2018 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Palantirion (Post 1597033066)

I think most new ZR-1 owners do wonder how the C7 ZR-1 values will be affected, although I doubt many are loosing sleep over it. The value drop and desirability may vary more with some factors like.. if the 2019 is the last year for a rear drive ZR-1. Also, another factor will be if the base model ME C8 matches or exceeds the performance of the C7 ZR-1. I am not yet sure if I would sell my ZR-1 for a C8. If so, I would be more likely to purchase the 2nd year of the C8. That is not to say Chevrolet can't resolve most of the first year bugs, but it is just a personal preference. Also, even though the mid-engine vette has been in the works on and off since the Zora years, the fact that so much Corvette heritage has been established on a rear drive-front engine V8 platform, may hold a portion of some Vette owners into pre C8 models, again as a matter of personal preference. Although I had not driven a Corvette since my C4, and I ordered my ZR-1 not knowing how the C7 style drove, the ME is such a big change to me that I would test drive one first before considering the purchase. I have never driven a mid engine vehicle and would like to get a few miles in one to see the differences in overall cabin sound and dirveability.