CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Buying dilemma (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4128302-buying-dilemma.html)

Iceman60467 04-19-2018 01:42 PM

Buying dilemma

Need to ask you for buing advice

Good morning dear members.
I need advice fom you.
my kids hust finished collage, we downsised our house and it’s finally time to get my Corvette.
I have a Big dilemma which car to buy.
I love C5 Z06 red or black, I love C6 2008 and up and also like C3 1969-1972 454 big block .
I like new body stile but the best value would be probably C5 Z06, which I also love.
C3 in great shape especially 1970 would be probably the best investment and you don’t see many of them anymore.
Budget wise woul be around $30,000 but for nice C3 I would steach my budget a little.
I don’t want to spend a lot of money for maintenance, I woul like to enjoy riding it.
What do you guys think???
Do any of you had similar dilema before ???
I know there will be a lot of different opinions but I would like to listen all of you.
Thank you very very much for your advices.
Arthur

JR-01 04-19-2018 02:27 PM

What would you use it for? How many miles a year would you put on it? I saw online a nice C7 with 18K miles on it for $32K. You might want to add a C7 to your list. You should be able to get a really nice car for your budget.
C3s are more of a collector car and good for shows and short trips but not for road trips or long cruises.

bobs77vet 04-19-2018 02:33 PM

take the c3 out of the equation...they are fun but not up to the standards of a C5 or C6 and the driving expericnce and heat will leave you disappointed compared to todays cars

do you like buttons and knobs or touch screens.....

buttons and knobs go to the C5

touch screens go to the C6

good luck and congratulations on making it to this point. and your budget of 30k is plenty enough to find a nice C5 or C6 with money left over for some trips

RSbeast 04-19-2018 02:36 PM

The newer it is, the more money lost through depreciation.

The older, the higher the upkeep cost.

If you want a weekend toy - go older
If you’re driving it all the time/DD - buy as new as you can afford

Newer car likely ammortizes a higher overall cost

DDaaryl 04-19-2018 02:55 PM

You can easily maintain a C3 with a box of wrenches and no dealer support. Having owned a bunch of C3's I'm not sure a big block is a good idea. 69-70 have more power than 71+ with lower compression. Rusty frames and bird cages are common. The average owner finds it difficult to maintain newer vehicles due to modern technology. How you plan to use it, own it and who maintains it are important questions.

Either way I suggest you avoid all vehicles with after market bolt on horsepower adders that have been tracked, raced, beat, molested or rebuilt with unusually low mileage as well as all salvage and flood vehicles.

Good luck!

capevettes 04-19-2018 03:20 PM

I have owned all of what you are considering and enjoyed them all. If your goal is to drive and not fix things, at 30 grand an 08 up LS3 C6 would be my choice :thumbs:

Good luck.

rrwirsi 04-19-2018 03:31 PM

I wish I had my C3 back, a '72 T top with no AC, no power seats, or no power windows,no power locks, no computers, no sensors, no traction control, no anti lock, etc. No nothing that the current C5's forward have. This was a car I could wrench with minimal tools. Unless you are a experienced DIY mechanic or have funds to pay someone else to fix, think long on the C5 and C6's. I went with a C5 because I do have funds AND I could not find a C3 in good condition that was not a show car and priced accordingly. Good luck on your search. :flag:

Principal Lewis 04-19-2018 03:31 PM

First off, let me say I have a C5Z and I love it. It really boils down to what you want in a car.

1. If you are looking for a GT car that you and your wife can enjoy taking long trips in I would suggest the C6. I have taken long trips in the Z as have many on here, but if long road trips were my top priority given the 3 choices you mentioned I would get the C6.

2. If you like the raw feel and sound of the older C3 but would like a little more refinement and more modern technology and/or if you are thinking of autocross or HPDE I would choose the C5Z.

3.If you want a Corvette for short 1,2 or 3-hour cruises and going to car shows etc., then I would say you are good with any of the 3 you mentioned above.

Good luck, all three are great cars.

Iceman60467 04-19-2018 03:32 PM

Thank you guys I’m checking this post all the time and I’m stll thinking 💭

Principal Lewis 04-19-2018 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DDaaryl (Post 1597033132)
Either way I suggest you avoid all vehicles with after market bolt on horsepower adders that have been tracked, raced, beat, molested or rebuilt with unusually low mileage as well as all salvage and flood vehicles.

Good luck!

:iagree:

Velocity_Vette 04-19-2018 03:55 PM

1) Drive a few cars. Drive anything within your strike range. One thing to think about and post on a forum and another to actually experience it.

2) Buy the newest thing that is within your strike range that you both want and can afford. My thought has always been slightly newer may depreciate a little harder but the higher chance of less need for maintenance and enjoyability outweigh depreciation.

If it's not a C5 so be it. Even if it's not a Corvette so be it; if you're having fun that's what is important. Although I don't know if I could wait that long. I let the crisis hit after I left college and even with a kid the Corvette isn't going anywhere and if it does I'll get another. You live and die once.

~Josh 04-19-2018 04:02 PM

Are you around Atlanta?

You could hang out here at the shop on a Saturday. I have probably 3 each of every car you've mentioned sitting here. You can check them out and possibly drive them. Decide for yourself.

coia96vette 04-19-2018 04:22 PM

I have a beautiful '04 Z51 coupe that I will probably be selling this spring. It is black on black fully loaded with both tops. PM me for more details and pics if interested. Or if you are in northern IL stop by.

Phanni 04-19-2018 04:42 PM

Most of the depreciation is out of the C-5, so it will likely retain most of it's value, if you take very good care of it. Although the C-3s look cool, they require a lot of maintenance, especially for brakes and minor stuff. The C-5 is a pretty good compromise between old school 'cool' and the newest stuff on the block.I have C-5 and a C-7 and both are very reliable, however, I've taken a flogging on the resale value of the C-7 while the C-5 remains drivable, maintainable, and is still pretty damn cool looking.

jasonsamara 04-19-2018 05:42 PM

I own a C1 C2 and a C5z. I think you just need to decide which one you want more. I drive my C1 more than any of them and the maintenance is minimal.

My C2 is more in line with the C3 your considering and the only issue I’ve had is brake calipers leaking.

The C5z is gonna be the most expensive for repairs like with the ebcm or the fuel tank issues, sensors etc.

i k ow where there is a 72 Elkhart green t top air auto car for under 30. Fully restored and ready to rock so I know they are out there.

good luck

Mayor111 04-19-2018 06:03 PM

Go C5...to me the C5 is a much "hotter", sportier looking car. Alot of guys think the C6 is a step backwards in terms of looks and interior... The C6 is going to cost you alot more. Buy the C5 and the money you saved can go into some nice cosmetic or mechanical upgrades.

My good friend parks his C6 next to my C5 at almost every car show, and he ALWAYS gets pissed off that barely no one stops by his car to ask questions or comment how hot his Vette is, where they always stop by mine - and I must admit, his C6 is in absolute mint condition.

bikeriderga 04-19-2018 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Iceman60467 (Post 1597032576)

Need to ask you for buing advice

Good morning dear members.
I need advice fom you.
my kids hust finished collage, we downsised our house and it’s finally time to get my Corvette.
I have a Big dilemma which car to buy.
I love C5 Z06 red or black, I love C6 2008 and up and also like C3 1969-1972 454 big block .
I like new body stile but the best value would be probably C5 Z06, which I also love.
C3 in great shape especially 1970 would be probably the best investment and you don’t see many of them anymore.
Budget wise woul be around $30,000 but for nice C3 I would steach my budget a little.
I don’t want to spend a lot of money for maintenance, I woul like to enjoy riding it.
What do you guys think???
Do any of you had similar dilema before ???
I know there will be a lot of different opinions but I would like to listen all of you.
Thank you very very much for your advices.
Arthur

If you want a good driving car, I would leave off the C3. They look great and are great show cars, but not good driving cars, unless you can find a resto-mod, but will probably cost more than the 30K.

As others have stated, 30K gives you lots of options. Pristine C5 Z06 or good condition C6 Grand Sport.

I do not like the C6 Standard body styles, but that is just me.

knewblewkorvette 04-19-2018 06:18 PM

For under $30K you can get a MINT MINT MINT C5 Z06. Should be able to get a MINT C5 Z06 for no more than $25K.

zeevette 04-19-2018 07:04 PM

Owning a pristine C5Z, I would caution you against this car if you want comfort. They ride pretty harshly if you have any back/mobility issues. I have lots of these issues, plus I am 65, so regardless of the fun factor, I rarely drive mine.

NCVette1 04-19-2018 08:34 PM

I sometimes regret my decision getting my C5 instead of an LS3 C6. So many little quirks and issues in these cars.

I also don't think C5 Z06s are worth what many are going for. If its near 20k get a C6 LS3 and don't look back. I don't think any C5 is worth over 20k.