CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Xpel: Do it yourself? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4128806-xpel-do-it-yourself.html)

McFly 04-20-2018 03:14 PM

Xpel: Do it yourself?

I was looking on Xpel’s website, they offer “do it yourself” kits. Anyone tried? Easy? Hard? Leave it to the pros?
Thanks.

naturaldisaster3 04-20-2018 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by McFly (Post 1597040121)
I was looking on Xpel’s website, they offer “do it yourself” kits. Anyone tried? Easy? Hard? Leave it to the pros?
Thanks.

Interesting... I did not notice that.. I'm also interested if anyone's tried it... I got a quote of $2500 for just the front on my car, so that is out of the question.. maybe this could be an alternative though.

tadda 04-20-2018 03:27 PM

Maxpowers 04-20-2018 03:28 PM

Unless you have experience applying clear film, Xpel'ing a C7 is very difficult for a beginner. Its not impossible, but there is a good chance you'll mess up and have to purchase new film or have a pro do it.

Foosh 04-20-2018 03:44 PM

Yes, it's very difficult and requires a lot of practice. You'll probably make a mess of it the first time you try. Even "certified" installers often do a sloppy job, and it requires a true professional with years of experience to do it in a way that makes it virtually invisible.

nukemustang 04-20-2018 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by naturaldisaster3 (Post 1597040160)
Interesting... I did not notice that.. I'm also interested if anyone's tried it... I got a quote of $2500 for just the front on my car, so that is out of the question.. maybe this could be an alternative though.

wow.... i just paid $1450 for the front of the C7: bumper, fenders, full hood, and mirrors.

Foosh 04-20-2018 04:14 PM

The difference in price is often a function of the skill of the installer. The really good ones have a reputation that keeps them very busy because they do much better installations which take more time. It's usually a classic case of you get what you pay for.

robert miller 04-20-2018 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1597040440)
The difference in price is often a function of the skill of the installer. The really good ones have a reputation that keeps them very busy because they do much better installations which take more time. It's usually a classic case of you get what you pay for.

:iagree: Also the prep work is a PITA if you look at doing this yourself just REMEMBER this what marks & dirt & crap you let sit onto of the paint that will be under the Xpel. Plus that seems to show thur 10 times worse than what it looked like before the film went down.

So if doing this your self get the panels really clean & stuff..:thumbs:

mcoomer 04-20-2018 05:30 PM

I'd say it's probably not something that you can't do, but is it something you can do easily enough that you won't mess up the material and have to spend money twice, and will you end up with a result that will last. If you watched the video above, you saw they used a precut piece of material for the nose. I'd say if you went that route you would have a shot at pulling it off. Free hand installation with bulk material? That would be a lot more daunting.

Mike

Foosh 04-20-2018 06:00 PM

Most who try it the first time end up with bubbles, wrinkles, stretch marks, and problems with edge adherence. It takes a lot of practice to get it right, and every vehicle design presents different challenges. An experienced pro has probably done almost every type of vehicle that generally get film treatment.

dvilin 04-20-2018 06:06 PM

Forget it unless you have some experience with this process you will most likely not be happy with the results.

Dif 04-20-2018 06:56 PM

I bought a 3M pre-cut kit for something like $300.00 from Invisible Mask and applied it myself on my C6.
Full Front bumper, 3/4 Hood, 3/4 Fenders, and Mirrors.
Took me 3 days between 4-6 hours each day, and no way was it a professional looking job.
No many people could tell it had a Clear Bra on it when it was done, but believe me, it wasn't good :hide:

It's not to say someone can't do it themselves and get good results.
But I watched installation videos and installations in person.
And IMO, the problem with that is they make it look easy because they do it all the time.

I knew when the time came to get a C7 it was going to get a Professionally installed Clear Bra before I drove it off the lot ;)
Worth every penny :auto:

Kevin A Jones 04-20-2018 07:26 PM

Forget it!
There are those who do it everyday for a living who struggle with it. At Carlisle last year, it really surprised me in seeing the different quality of work between professionals.

Skid Row Joe 04-20-2018 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by nukemustang (Post 1597040250)
wow.... i just paid $1450 for the front of the C7: bumper, fenders, full hood, and mirrors.

I'm finding pricing all over the place. As much as a $2,750.00 difference for the same materials brand job. No idea why the same job could vary by that much $.

Always Red Dave 04-20-2018 08:02 PM

Just pay a good installer or you will be sorry you did not if your getting Xpel!:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

McFly 04-20-2018 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave (Post 1597041899)
Just pay a good installer or you will be sorry you did not if your getting Xpel!:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Thanks for all the replies, appears to be way above my talent level....

guido7834 04-20-2018 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by McFly (Post 1597042098)
Thanks for all the replies, appears to be way above my talent level....

Buy a do it yourself ceramic kit and be done with it. The clear bra stuff is way over priced...

L82Brake 04-20-2018 09:28 PM

I did mine myself with no prior experience. It is very hard to do. Easy are flat surfaces like the hood, mirrors, headlights and door sills. The bumper was a bitch but mine came out great. It takes great patience and a willingness to ruin what you bought.

I used a pre-cut piece for the hood, but I was not pleased with how it came out the first time. When I did it again I covered the edges.

I have a bikini cut on the hood and fenders, bumper, headlights, mirrors, door sills, stage 2 skirts and splitter, and select pieces I cut from stock on the lower edges on the fenders and around the rear tires. I also did the air ducts in front of the rear tires (wide body). I think I have around $400 into my install.

Don't be scared to try it as long and you understand what you bought may end up in the garbage. Start with small and flat easy parts. But don't be afraid to try.

Foosh 04-20-2018 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by guido7834 (Post 1597042178)
Buy a do it yourself ceramic kit and be done with it. The clear bra stuff is way over priced...

Ceramics are great for protecting the paint finish, but do nothing for rock chips. The two serve entirely different purposes.

McFly 04-20-2018 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by L82Brake (Post 1597042375)
I did mine myself with no prior experience. It is very hard to do. Easy are flat surfaces like the hood, mirrors, headlights and door sills. The bumper was a bitch but mine came out great. It takes great patience and a willingness to ruin what you bought.

I used a pre-cut piece for the hood, but I was not pleased with how it came out the first time. When I did it again I covered the edges.

I have a bikini cut on the hood and fenders, bumper, headlights, mirrors, door sills, stage 2 skirts and splitter, and select pieces I cut from stock on the lower edges on the fenders and around the rear tires. I also did the air ducts in front of the rear tires (wide body). I think I have around $400 into my install.

Don't be scared to try it as long and you understand what you bought may end up in the garbage. Start with small and flat easy parts. But don't be afraid to try.

I bought my supplies here:

http://44tools.com/

Thanks for sharing! :cheers: