CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Exhaust removal tips? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4129311-exhaust-removal-tips.html)

racerseks 04-21-2018 09:52 PM

Exhaust removal tips?

This is in regard to a '96 CE with LT4. Got my exhaust off, and having trouble with the last of it. I have everything after the catalytic converters off, except for the short pipe right behind the cat on the driver's side. I have one nut off, but I think there are two more. What's the best way to get those suckers off...heat?

Alternatively, I tried to get it from the top, and have the whole exhaust manifold loose on the driver's side...except one that holds the cat in place. Can't seem to get my rachet to do a single click with that short pipe on place from underneath. Any tips to get that one off, or does the short pipe have to come off first?

Love to get answers for both, but I'll settle for either.

Thanks!

grandspt 04-22-2018 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by racerseks (Post 1597047906)
This is in regard to a '96 CE with LT4. Got my exhaust off, and having trouble with the last of it. I have everything after the catalytic converters off, except for the short pipe right behind the cat on the driver's side. I have one nut off, but I think there are two more. What's the best way to get those suckers off...heat?

Alternatively, I tried to get it from the top, and have the whole exhaust manifold loose on the driver's side...except one that holds the cat in place. Can't seem to get my rachet to do a single click with that short pipe on place from underneath. Any tips to get that one off, or does the short pipe have to come off first?

Thanks!

I am not sure if this will answer your question completely but if it is the Catalytic converter bracket that you are trying to get off then I think you will need to remove the bellhousing to get at those bolts!
I ended up cutting my bracket off when I removed my exhaust.

FASTAZU 04-22-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by racerseks (Post 1597047906)

Thanks!

:iagree:

Even a small hand held propane torch will work, just be sure to shield above and around were you use the heat. Can't be to careful. :thumbs:

racerseks 04-23-2018 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by grandspt (Post 1597048805)
I am not sure if this will answer your question completely but if it is the Catalytic converter bracket that you are trying to get off then I think you will need to remove the bellhousing to get at those bolts!
I ended up cutting my bracket off when I removed my exhaust.

Haven't done that one yet, but sounds like a lot of work. How many bolts hold that bracket in. It feels pretty loose...I was thinking it was just one. Cutting is an option too, I suppose. Thank you!

racerseks 04-23-2018 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by FASTAZU (Post 1597049578)
:iagree:

Even a small hand held propane torch will work, just be sure to shield above and around were you use the heat. Can't be to careful. :thumbs:

I picked one up the other day. Any suggestions on how and what to use for shielding? I agree...can't be too safe. Thanks!

FASTAZU 04-23-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by racerseks (Post 1597054568)
I picked one up the other day. Any suggestions on how and what to use for shielding? I agree...can't be too safe. Thanks!

I use some old tin as it can be bent easily around the area to be heated. :thumbs:

racerseks 04-24-2018 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by FASTAZU (Post 1597056840)
I use some old tin as it can be bent easily around the area to be heated. :thumbs:

Thanks for the tip!

grandspt 04-25-2018 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by racerseks (Post 1597054564)
Haven't done that one yet, but sounds like a lot of work. How many bolts hold that bracket in. It feels pretty loose...I was thinking it was just one. Cutting is an option too, I suppose. Thank you!

If my memory serves me right it was two bolts. One was accessible but the other was at the bell housing.

racerseks 04-25-2018 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by grandspt (Post 1597075739)
If my memory serves me right it was two bolts. One was accessible but the other was at the bell housing.

Okay, thank you.