CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   OT - I Just Had To Go See It!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4129441-ot-i-just-had-to-go-see-it.html)

Tom Austin 04-22-2018 10:23 AM

OT - I Just Had To Go See It!!!

2 Attachment(s)
As many of you who follow the auto industry know, the most iconic "movie car" of all time, the '68 Mustang driven by Steve McQueen in the movie "Bullitt", was recently re-discovered. Well, it's been on displayed in a glass case on The Mall in Washington, DC . . . I just had to go see it this morning!

Attachment 48276840
Attachment 48276841

Recent articles for your reading pleasure:
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...all/528673002/

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...d-real-mcqueen

Tom

fyreline 04-22-2018 10:28 AM

There was a nice piece on it on CBS Sunday Morning today.

Nowhere Man 04-22-2018 10:30 AM

I rather have the charger. From what I read is the driver of the charger had to keep slowing down so the mustang could keep up.

65hihp 04-22-2018 10:35 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cf7808e283.jpg

I wouldn't go into a movie house today for all the tea in china, but I look at that movie every chance I get.

BADBIRDCAGE 04-22-2018 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1597049818)
I rather have the charger. From what I read is the driver of the charger had to keep slowing down so the mustang could keep up.

As I had a 68 Charger I’m with you on rather having it. Whoever was driving it in that movie had his hands full. Not that I don’t like the Mustang because I do. I just like the Charger more.

AZDoug 04-22-2018 10:59 AM

Needs paint. Wheels are kind of tacky, too.

Doug

Bluestripe67 04-22-2018 11:12 AM

I had a '68 Charger at the time. The one in the movie appears to be an R/T version....all 440ci of motor. Last noght Jay Leno had the story on the Mustang. I wonder what happened to that Charger? :cheers: Dennis

65tripleblack 04-22-2018 12:34 PM

I love Mustangs. In fact, I own a late model Triple Black Mustang GT convertible with the famous Coyote motor. But frankly, every time I watch Bullitt, I always focus in on that badass Charger R/T in the chase scene. Not only was it black, but the 2 dudes riding in it looked REALLY sinister. The exhaust note from the Charger sounded authentic, deep throated and cool. Not to mention the fact that the 440 engine's rating of 375 HP was probably underrated by 100 HP.

I always have a burning question about that movie: Why the hell did McQueen feel the need to double clutch that beautiful, raspy sounding Mustang?

Can you name the vehicle that both chase cars passed twice?

MrTrim 04-22-2018 12:44 PM

Personally I can't wait for it, to hopefully be shown somewhere, on the west coast. I need a selfie with my hero's icon car....every time I hear about this car I'm 17 years old again....if only I was....:D
Chris :flag:

MrTrim 04-22-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack (Post 1597050495)
I love Mustangs. In fact, I own a late model Triple Black Mustang GT convertible with the famous Coyote motor. But frankly, every time I watch Bullitt, I always focus in on that badass Charger R/T in the chase scene. Not only was it black, but the 2 dudes riding in it looked REALLY sinister. The exhaust note from the Charger sounded authentic, deep throated and cool. Not to mention the fact that the 440 engine's rating of 375 HP was probably underrated by 100 HP.

I always have a burning question about that movie: Why the hell did McQueen feel the need to double clutch that beautiful, raspy sounding Mustang?

No, but I believe the Charger lost a total of 7 hubcaps during the chase.:D

BADBIRDCAGE 04-22-2018 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack (Post 1597050495)

You mean that VW Beetle that they passed at least twice if not three times.

Kerrmudgeon 04-22-2018 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67 (Post 1597050067)
I had a '68 Charger at the time. The one in the movie appears to be an R/T version....all 440ci of motor. Last noght Jay Leno had the story on the Mustang. I wonder what happened to that Charger? :cheers: Dennis

I don't know if this is the one you saw, but it's a brief drive in the original.:thumbs:

KC John 04-22-2018 01:11 PM

Unfortunately the 2019 Mustang is ugly compared to the '68. My neighbor bought a red fastback 68 Mustang when they came out and I lusted after that car throughout my youth and actually still do. I think it's the best looking mustang of all time.

65tripleblack 04-22-2018 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE (Post 1597050586)
You mean that VW Beetle that they passed at least twice if not three times.

Right, the green Beetle. If you watch closely, you'll see that they replayed the same footage at least twice. But, according to the position of the VW on the street, the film was shot with the 2 chase cars ACTUALLY passing that green Beetle two times.:thumbs:

But why did old Steve double clutch that Mustang GT........wasting time while trying to chase a car with at least 75 more HP than his car had.

BADBIRDCAGE 04-22-2018 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by KC John (Post 1597050678)
Unfortunately the 2019 Mustang is ugly compared to the '68. My neighbor bought a red fastback 68 Mustang when they came out and I lusted after that car throughout my youth and actually still do. I think it's the best looking mustang of all time.

Just saw the 2019 Bullitt Mustang on display at BJ Palm Beach.

Boss looking ride. Not a 68 but still a great looking car. I wouldn’t turn one down.

65hihp 04-22-2018 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack (Post 1597050767)
Right, the green Beetle. If you watch closely, you'll see that they replayed the same footage at least twice. But, according to the position of the VW on the street, the film was shot with the 2 chase cars ACTUALLY passing that green Beetle two times.:thumbs:

But why did old Steve double clutch that Mustang GT........wasting time while trying to chase a car with at least 75 more HP than his car had.

He double-clutched because he could, it sounded cool, and he was cool. And don't forget, it was a movie.

vjjack04 04-22-2018 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Austin (Post 1597049780)
As many of you who follow the auto industry know, the most iconic "movie car" of all time, the '68 Mustang driven by Steve McQueen in the movie "Bullitt", was recently re-discovered. Well, it's been on displayed in a glass case on The Mall in Washington, DC . . . I just had to go see it this morning!

Attachment 48276840
Attachment 48276841

Recent articles for your reading pleasure:
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...all/528673002/

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...d-real-mcqueen

Tom

Cool! I like it. But, maybe the most "iconic" of all time is the General Lee....a little controversy for your Sunday afternoon....

65hihp 04-22-2018 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by AZDoug (Post 1597049990)
Needs paint. Wheels are kind of tacky, too.

Doug

Fluff it up and lop a $million off the value.

68hemi 04-22-2018 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67 (Post 1597050067)

If I remember correctly I think there where three Used in the movie. I don’t know if any of them survive enough to still drivable today the guy that played the part of one of the hitman that was driving my car is Bill Hickman and he was a stuntman/driver in many movies. He has the actual driving the charger.

Yes, it was an R/T with stripe delete.

My screen name here 68hemi is Left over from when I owned a 68 hemi charger

survivor66 04-22-2018 03:02 PM

Can't imagine the buyer's family used it as a daily driver for many years! Any guesses what it's worth now? Glass case not included... and they removed the NJ BULLIT plate in front.