CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   MGW Shifter... What a difference! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4129551-mgw-shifter-what-a-difference.html)

BurntNoodle 04-22-2018 02:59 PM

MGW Shifter... What a difference!

Hello all,

Just got done installing my new MGW shifter that my fiance got me for my birthday. All I can say is that it makes the car feel so much better, I now understand what all the hype was about.

My one concern is the shift boot now, it is kind of scrunched up due to the MGW shifter being significantly smaller than the OEM shifter. What have other people done to remedy this issue? It doesn't look like crap, but it also doesn't look the best.

Is there an aftermarket company (Forum vendor perhaps) who has shift boots that will fit the MGW short shifter better? Or do I just have to live with the scrunched up OEM boot?

Thanks,

John

Vetteman Jack 04-22-2018 05:41 PM

Maybe talk with a vendor like Redline Goods and see if they can fabricate something up for you.

BurntNoodle 04-23-2018 05:09 PM

Jack,

Just thanking you for the referral to Redline. I got in contact with them today and got everything figured out. Ordered my new boot! I'm really excited.

Thanks,

John

04zjimc 04-24-2018 07:45 AM

I got my interior pieces from redline..quality stuff!

RapidC84B 03-12-2019 01:53 PM

That's the correct latest variation. I ordered a flatstick, don't love the cueball and the 3/8x16 threads is limiting so I bought the upper kit to adapt a a stock C7 knob but have never gotten around to re-doing it. the stock shifter is angled back 30-40 degrees w/ the stock knob vs. this one being straight. Plus, I don't like an overly short throw.

1. Did yours not come with the black part already installed?

2. When you install the shaft part do you thread it all the way in, or do you have the option to leave it a little higher if so desired?

Verrückt ZR1 03-12-2019 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder (Post 1599032599)
That's the correct latest variation. I ordered a flatstick, don't love the cueball and the 3/8x16 threads is limiting so I bought the upper kit to adapt a a stock C7 knob but have never gotten around to re-doing it. the stock shifter is angled back 30-40 degrees w/ the stock knob vs. this one being straight. Plus, I don't like an overly short throw.

2. When you install the shaft part do you thread it all the way in, or do you have the option to leave it a little higher if so desired?

The MGW needs to be fully assembled. The shaft is threaded and uses a single washer and lock washer. In theory, I don't know why you couldn't use a few more washers for the desired height/effect. It's honestly not that much shorter than the stock unit.

RapidC84B 03-12-2019 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Verrückt ZR1 (Post 1599032667)
The MGW needs to be fully assembled. The shaft is threaded and uses a single washer and lock washer. In theory, I don't know why you couldn't use a few more washers for the desired height/effect. It's honestly not that much shorter than the stock unit.

If it has a lock washer and set nut then can't you adjust the height of the stick and lock it down? I seem to recally my old MGW in my C5 being that way. Not following you on "fully assembled".

FYRARMS 03-12-2019 02:36 PM

I was fortunate enough to purchase my current C5Z with a brand new MGW shifter already installed by the previous owner. Unfortunately, it was the model made for an OEM C6 knob, which I don't like. It was also the newest version MGW lower box, so it has the very odd "angled" stub coming out of the base, and the god-awful staggered shift lever adapter (the gold piece), which puts the shift lever in a very awkward position to the far rear and far left. Ugh! I knew I had to change things for the much better, so here is what I did:

a) Ordered the MGW shift lever for C5 knobs.
b) Ordered the MGW adapter (gold piece) for a Mustang GT500.

As you can see in the below pictures, the Mustang GT500 adapter centers the shift lever and also gives you an extra 1" of height, which is awesome.

Before:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1e05ea69b6.jpg

After:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...55536418f5.jpg

Knob and boot installed:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cc21f75353.jpg

RapidC84B 03-12-2019 02:39 PM

I have the same black piece as the OP. MGW has stopped doing that odd offset. The stick is centered but set a little back from the shifter base unit. My question was more on installing the shift stick metal rod upper thingy... can you vary the height. I don't see why I can't. Just haven't gotten to it yet. If I did it all again I'd get the C5 stick to and MGWs race knob. We'll see.

FYRARMS 03-12-2019 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder (Post 1599032827)
My question was more on installing the shift stick metal rod upper thingy... can you vary the height. I don't see why I can't.

You can, but obviously, only as much as the threads will allow. Just thread the rod to the height you like, and lock it in place with the nut.

Spaggs 03-12-2019 05:13 PM

I never knew it was scruched up. I always thought that's the way it's supposed to look.
I'd leave it alone.
Just my 2 cents.
Spaggs

Bushman66 03-12-2019 07:51 PM

I threaded mine in all the way at first, but the shifter looked REALLY strange being that short. I ended up threading it out on the shifter end, and a few threads on the cue ball end as well. Looks MUCH better IMHO.

El original 03-13-2019 12:35 AM

I also have installed an MGW shifter. What I did to fix the leather boot was to remove the staples from the plastic retainer ring that fixes the boot to the console and cut the leather to size and replace staples and re install the boot. Looks good and cost is nothing. Plan B mark out the leather to be cut out and take to a tailor that does leather alterations for cheap. Re use the plastic retainer and have made to measure. I love my MGW as well! Cheers, Rob

USAZR1 03-13-2019 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1599032818)
I was fortunate enough to purchase my current C5Z with a brand new MGW shifter already installed by the previous owner. Unfortunately, it was the model made for an OEM C6 knob, which I don't like. It was also the newest version MGW lower box, so it has the very odd "angled" stub coming out of the base, and the god-awful staggered shift lever adapter (the gold piece), which puts the shift lever in a very awkward position to the far rear and far left. Ugh! I knew I had to change things for the much better, so here is what I did:

a) Ordered the MGW shift lever for C5 knobs.
b) Ordered the MGW adapter (gold piece) for a Mustang GT500.

As you can see in the below pictures, the Mustang GT500 adapter centers the shift lever and also gives you an extra 1" of height, which is awesome.

Thanks for posting that info, Dan. My car also has an MGW w/C6 knob and I have wondered what I could to improve its shift quality.

bwill03z 03-13-2019 08:09 AM

I recently put my MGW shifter in and was using my c6 knob, which feels good and looks great, but I bought an MGW knob and I like the weight of it much better. It’s near perfect now.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...48bbc70ba.jpeg

FYRARMS 03-13-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by USAZR1 (Post 1599036064)
Thanks for posting that info, Dan. My car also has an MGW w/C6 knob and I have wondered what I could to improve its shift quality.

I am 6'1" and have long arms. A shifter with a super-short throw and short lever height is awkward to me. The extra 1" or so of height I gained with the Mustang adapter (and not threading the knob all the way down) plus the centered lever now gives me some extra throw length. It also shortens the distance between the steering wheel and the shift knob, which is what you want for track and spirited street driving.

Here is a pic I took when I swapped the boot, just to give you an idea of the shifter height:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9ec055d8d6.jpg

USAZR1 03-13-2019 03:01 PM

I definitely need some extra height, for sure. That's something else to put on my list of things to do.

Bushman66 03-13-2019 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by USAZR1 (Post 1599038789)
I definitely need some extra height, for sure. That's something else to put on my list of things to do.

MGW makes a 1" longer shaft in 9/16-18 (stock C5 Shift knob). $15 + shipping. Just ordered one today (and already shipped!!!), but I think you need to call, I didn't see it on their website.

SelfCo 03-13-2019 03:42 PM

you should be able to buy an extender to raise the shift height to where you want it.

USAZR1 03-13-2019 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bushman66 (Post 1599039065)
MGW makes a 1" longer shaft in 9/16-18 (stock C5 Shift knob). $15 + shipping. Just ordered one today (and already shipped!!!), but I think you need to call, I didn't see it on their website.

I was just looking at their website and noticed that. May have to order one and give it a try. Just have to find a C5 shift knob, though.