CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Are M/E Cars Considered More "Toys" Than Daily Drivers? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4129554-are-m-e-cars-considered-more-toys-than-daily-drivers.html)

C5Driver 04-22-2018 03:06 PM

Are M/E Cars Considered More "Toys" Than Daily Drivers?

The C4,5,6,& 7 coupes can easily be used as a daily driver in warmer climates. Just how many M/E cars do you see people vacationing in and driving to work every day or in the Target parking lot? I'm thinking the M/E car is really going to be looked at as impractical for daily use because of its design.

Tuna Goat 04-22-2018 04:31 PM

After they get a used car marked I will daily the ..... out of one.. daily my c6 and people think thats impractical too

NY09C6 04-22-2018 04:39 PM

If I cannot daily drive and road trip in it, I will not be buying one.

JerriVette 04-22-2018 05:23 PM

Of course the rear mid engine corvette can be daily driven. GM designs every corvette to be a daily driver with the correct tires.

I put snow tires on my purchased new ls3 c6 m6 z51in the winter put 120k trouble free miles so far and will do so with every vehicle I own.

I live life for the experiences and would never again let the things I own ...own me.

My material objects serve me and not the other way around.

I respect other people's choices as well...

roadbike56 04-22-2018 05:47 PM

I see plenty of Porsche cars driven as daily drivers soooo....

JerriVette 04-22-2018 05:49 PM

BAck in the late seventies, and throughout the 80s I had a rear mid engine lancia scorpion that I had turbocharged etc and it was great in the snow...rear weight bias is good for traction in the dry and the wet ...

Just put in the right tires and you re good to go.

FrankLP 04-22-2018 06:30 PM

Deciding if the car is a daily driver is a personal choice of its owner... it's not necessarily dependent on the design of the car.

There are owners that daily drive their Ferrari's and McLarens, while there are owners that choose to leave their Corvettes in the garage and/or at home for days on end to keep the miles to a minimum.

That said, I'm excited at the prospect of having a ME Corvette as a daily driver!!

Bikerjulio 04-22-2018 06:52 PM

My MR2 was a daily driver. It came with the occasional surprise too :eek:

(snap oversteer, for anyone not familiar).

Walter Raulerson 04-22-2018 07:14 PM

Why wouldn't you be able to drive the ME Corvette everyday?

Walter Raulerson 04-22-2018 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by FrankLP (Post 1597052517)
Deciding if the car is a daily driver is a personal choice of its owner... it's not necessarily dependent on the design of the car.

There are owners that daily drive their Ferrari's and McLarens, while there are owners that choose to leave their Corvettes in the garage and/or at home for days on end to keep the miles to a minimum.

That said, I'm excited at the prospect of having a ME Corvette as a daily driver!!

Right! Who wants to own a car NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT COSTS that you can't drive ANY TIME YOU WANT

JerriVette 04-22-2018 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by FrankLP (Post 1597052517)

Years back i was in Hastings on the Hudson in a snow storm and heading at me in this quaint little town was coming a Ferrari boxer berlinetta....right then I knew the owner had the right idea...

Back then the rear mid engine Ferrari was no longer popular as the testarossa was the "it" vehicle...must have been the Miami vice time period...

Seeing that driver out in his Ferrari in that massive snow storm put a huge smile on my face..

Those who prefer to protect their sports cars and only use the manual on sunny days are cool to do so as well...

Rear mid engine sports cars in inclement weather are awesome and from my experience the front trunks are more than capable of carrying the weeks food from the supermarket without a problem.

Walter Raulerson 04-22-2018 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1597052105)
Of course the rear mid engine corvette can be daily driven. GM designs every corvette to be a daily driver with the correct tires.

I put snow tires on my purchased new ls3 c6 m6 z51in the winter put 120k trouble free miles so far and will do so with every vehicle I own.

I live life for the experiences and would never again let the things I own ...own me.

My material objects serve me and not the other way around.

I respect other people's choices as well...

We don't own Ferraris or Maseratis or POCHES...She drives a little ole Honda Accord '(16) and I get a Corvette when I want one and we DRIVE THEM.................They are just THINGS to use. The ME will be a daily and nightly and holiday and every other day DRIVER. Every car should be a daily driver

Johnsrx7 04-23-2018 10:23 AM

Any car can be daily driven, it all depends on how much you want to pay in maintenance.

wilfie 04-23-2018 10:42 AM

That's all very logical Captain but you earthlings seem to be governed more by your emotions.

(I had a Ferrari 360 and it just didn't "feel" the same and didn't get the daily driving)

HUBBELL RACING 04-23-2018 11:49 AM

All depends. 914, Cayman, Boxster, Karman Ghia, even R8 & NSX are built as DD

I think the Corvette will b a DD

Exotics cost a lot x mile in Maintenance so unless you have crazy $$$$$ they aren’t DD

tooold2race 04-23-2018 12:31 PM

Based on today's Corvette 'demographics' and the price point I think the new C8 will command, I'm of the opinion that they will be driven when and where the owners want. After all, most of the buyers of these for the first few years will be old guys with the financial means to add the latest 'toy' to their collection in the garage. A whole lot of 'em will be retires, and I'm sure they will drive them to Starbucks pretty much every day, if the weather is good..... At least that's my plan!

dexterkatt 04-23-2018 03:26 PM

Unless the C8 will be 100K and up, it can and will be a daily driver for many owners. The problem with exotics costing $250K and up is the depreciation, maintenance and potential accidents. I can hardly wait to get a C8.

JoesC5 04-23-2018 04:19 PM

Of my 80+ local friends with Corvettes(1953 #016, up to an including C7 Z06's) only a few of them use their Corvette(s) as daily drivers. There are so few Porsches, Lamo's, Ferrari's etc around here, that the total number of them being used as daily drivers would be extremely low.

I currently have three Corvettes and none of them are used as daily drivers, just toys(but my Z06 does get driven on long road trips, as a wonderful 4-15 day toy). There are an additional three Corvettes(one being a 1980 with just 800 miles that belongs to the local GM Zone manager) in my neighborhood, and they are not daily drivers.

I see no reason that a mid engine Corvette would be any different.

AORoads 04-23-2018 04:38 PM

IMO, it could be the new ME gets daily driven, or maybe frequently-driven as a DD, but not every day. The big rub may come with distance trips with a passenger. We'll see about trips of any length of time and mileage---it could all turn out fine for long trips for two people. :cheers:

sunsalem 04-24-2018 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by C5Driver (Post 1597051341)
The C4,5,6,& 7 coupes can easily be used as a daily driver in warmer climates. Just how many M/E cars do you see people vacationing in and driving to work every day or in the Target parking lot? I'm thinking the M/E car is really going to be looked at as impractical for daily use because of its design.

I'm not going to call "troll" on this, but you have started TWO threads some might consider it to be.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596944941