CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   Need tires for Ultimate Street Car Challenge for ZR1 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4130492-need-tires-for-ultimate-street-car-challenge-for-zr1.html)

GarryZR1 04-24-2018 01:31 PM

Need tires for Ultimate Street Car Challenge for ZR1

I am hoping the track guys and competitors can give me some solid advice.

I have a 2019 ZR1 with Perf pkg, meaning the Cup2 tires. The rules for the USCC dictates that the tread wear rating be 200 or greater. The Cup 2 tires are 180, thus not eligible to use.

I have been looking for the stock tire sizes and only find the Super Sports street tires. While I could use them they have much less traction for competition than the 200 rated tires other manufactures are making for USCC at 200 wear ratings.

So what are my options?

I really don't want to spend a fortune on custom wheels and even if I did will they fit the car. And what tire wheel combination will not only fit but perform well and not brake the bank.

Thanks in advance for your input and options.

fleming23 04-24-2018 02:08 PM

Without buying new wheels, you are limited to the MPSS tire.

You'll want either 18" for Rival S or 19" wheels and the RE71.

Forgestar has been a semi-popular, low-cost option but I have to recommend Forgeline wheels as they make some of the best wheels in the business. Take a look at any of our cars running in the series and you'll see a common trend, Forgeline wheels on the top runners.

racerns 04-24-2018 02:26 PM

Are the Viper ACR Kumhos allowed? I know that even though they are 200 tw many organizations do allow them because they really are a track tire.

BaylorCorvette 04-24-2018 02:27 PM

If you decide to get new wheels, the RE71R's are crazy tires. They definitely do not feel like a 200 tread wear tire. When I don't run slicks I run the RE71R's.

fleming23 04-24-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by racerns (Post 1597065951)
Are the Viper ACR Kumhos allowed? I know that even though they are 200 tw many organizations do allow them because they really are a track tire.

Not this year, they were banned for 2018, assuming he is referring to the Optima Search for the Ultimate Street Car, and not Tire Rack's Ultimate Track Car Challenge.

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette (Post 1597065960)
If you decide to get new wheels, the RE71R's are crazy tires. They definitely do not feel like a 200 tread wear tire. When I don't run slicks I run the RE71R's.

I wish they made a wider rear than a 305. A fellow competitor just ran them out west on his Grand Sport and seemed to do really well on them compared to his normal Rival S in a 315/335 size.

GarryZR1 04-24-2018 03:03 PM

I am referring to the Optima Street Car Challenge

Poor-sha 04-24-2018 03:13 PM

The data I have shows the MPSS only produce about 0.1 less lateral G than the MPSC2. They do move around a bit more and it would be interesting to see whether shaving the tread would help.

RichieRichZ06 04-24-2018 08:12 PM

As mentioned above, you can pick from the Michelin PSS or the Michelin PSS using stock sized wheels. The PSS is really not a bad tire, but it's not quite the grip of a Rival or 71R.

I would do as Fleming23 said and order up some new Forgelines and wrap Rivals around them.

If you'd like pricing on a specific Forgeline, let me know and I'm happy to save you some money.