CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   C6 base ZR1 Brake upgrade (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/4130760-c6-base-zr1-brake-upgrade.html)

Osh63 04-25-2018 01:05 AM

C6 base ZR1 Brake upgrade

Grabbed a deal on brand new ZR1 calipers to upgrade my 2009 base c6, my question is will 19x9.5 front and 20x10 rear rims fit with the upgrade. WWC style 947 says they fit with "custom brake upgrades" but I'm not felling comfy based on some of what I have read here. Need some guidance as I increased the hp and really need to stop!

any help is appreciated!

Dano523 04-25-2018 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Osh63 (Post 1597070076)
Grabbed a deal on brand new ZR1 calipers to upgrade my 2009 base c6, my question is will 19x9.5 front and 20x10 rear rims fit with the upgrade. WWC style 947 says they fit with "custom brake upgrades" but I'm not felling comfy based on some of what I have read here. Need some guidance as I increased the hp and really need to stop!

any help is appreciated!

Semi wasting your time,

Hence brakes will only be as good as the grip of the tire, and when you have too much brake grip, all you end up doing is getting into the ABS with the brakes trying too lock up with less pedal pressure isntead.

So yes, you can get after market rims in 19 front/20 back, and that the inside of the webbing will clear the out side of the calipers without spacer as well. Due to the fender wheel well areas, still going to be limited to about 255/30r19 front, 295/25r20 rear on the rim width's you noted.

As for rotors, don't see you getting the OEM brakes hot enough to justify the carbon fiber discs at over $1k a pop each, so standard iron two piece rotors would be fine.

And to be blunt again, what your really going to end up with, is just getting into the ABS with about 1/3 less brake pedal pressure, short of running something like R6 type track tires (up to temp) to get the needed tire grip isntead. Hell, the brake system is still going to be over kill even with R888's in base size tires.

Osh63 04-25-2018 07:53 AM

Thanks Dano523

I get everything you are saying and appreciate your help. I plan to move to a wider CCW wheel and tire set up with a widebody kit, pfadt stage 2 suspension, heads, cam, throttle body and intake. I track the car 2 to 3 times a month and dont mind changing pads and rotors on the stock set but as my lap times are getting much better and the car faster braking at tracks like Lime Rock and NJMP gets a bit hairy. So the solution will be short lived as once the investment is made she will be come a trailer queen

Dano523 04-25-2018 08:17 AM

No worries, but keep in mind that even the ZR1 calipers are value engineered for GM, and not in the same league as Brembo race calipers instead. Hence would not even think about putting the ZRI system on until you wide body the car, to allow you run wider tires as well.

Also, just a FYI, and when you start going to better grip tire, change your wheel hubs out to SKF race hubs isntead. The oems are fine for slinging a car around an auto cross track with stock Dot tires, but give up the ghost too fast with track tires (even in stock sizes).

As for wide body the base, or just selling it to pick up a Z06, all depends the direction you want to go. Hence Z06 has an aluminum frame and is stiffer and lighter than the base frame to start with. Since it already comes with the LS7, lot cheaper to mod that motor to get to breath up to 7K, then it would be to build the LS3 into a larger displacement motor isntead. Hence for track use, the higher the motor will rev-out to, the easy its to use for road course use instead.

jaredtxrx 04-25-2018 11:12 AM

The wheels fitting depends on the wheel diameter, offset, and wheel design. You will want to contact the wheel seller on brake clearance and then do some measuring to be sure.

The wheels will fit the car no doubt, but clearing the brakes is tricky without knowing the wheel measurements.

timd38 04-25-2018 05:57 PM

Great brake! regular Z06 brakes stayed on my car for one track event, the bought Wilwoods, but would get the ZR-1 brakes in heartbeat. Doing work on a Z06 Carbon this weekend and it has those great brakes on it.

MYCoupe 04-26-2018 10:49 AM

My suggestion is to get the widebody kit put on before you go upgrading the brakes and wheels. For a widebody you'll want 19x10 up front and 20x12 in the back. Easiest (and maybe cheapest) is to get a set of GM Cup wheels as they are designed to clear the ZR1 carbon ceramic brakes. By the way I upgraded to ZR1 brakes on my GS so speaking from experience (I just didn't have to do the widebody conversion).

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e36be4e9c.jpeg

Lexicon 12-07-2018 12:38 AM

What else was needed other than the rotors and calipers? Are there different brackets needed? I am considering adding the zr1 c6 brakes to my base C6 but want to know exactly what it takes.

Turbo6TA 12-07-2018 08:22 AM

I am happy with the stock Z06 brakes that came standard on my 2011 GS .... but

I have always wished for a set of the ZR1 brakes, but I was under the impression that those massive ZR1 ceramic brake rotors where very very very expensive.

Just gotta ask ..... What does just one ZR1 front rotor cost ? ?

jaredtxrx 12-07-2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1598458686)

I have always wished for a set of the ZR1 brakes, but I was under the impression that those massive ZR1 ceramic brake rotors where very very very expensive.

$1,114.00 a piece at Rock Auto. But you can put iron rotors in there if you also change the pads. Lots of people have made that switch.

Turbo6TA 12-07-2018 01:26 PM

Thank's for the info

MYCoupe 12-07-2018 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lexicon (Post 1598458079)
What else was needed other than the rotors and calipers? Are there different brackets needed? I am considering adding the zr1 c6 brakes to my base C6 but want to know exactly what it takes.

Nothing else needed other than the rotors, calipers and brake pads from the ZR1. Adding these brakes to a base C6 will definitely entail some sort of custom wheel to clear the calipers up front.

Turbo6TA 12-07-2018 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx (Post 1598460321)

$1,114.00 a piece at Rock Auto. But you can put iron rotors in there if you also change the pads. Lots of people have made that switch.

Jeeeze ... That just short of the price of a round-trip airline ticket from the US to the Philippines .... I'll pass :)

MTPZ06 12-07-2018 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1598458686)

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1598462559)
Jeeeze ... That just short of the price of a round-trip airline ticket from the US to the Philippines .... I'll pass :)

If you're just after the "look" of the lager brakes...probably the most cost effective way is to pick up some take-offs for ZR1 calipers and then buy the iron conversion rotors (rings & hats) rather than CC rotors.

You can buy all (4) iron rotors & hats for ~$2500. Still expensive, but less than the CCB's.

yaba94070 03-18-2021 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by MYCoupe (Post 1597079022)
My suggestion is to get the widebody kit put on before you go upgrading the brakes and wheels. For a widebody you'll want 19x10 up front and 20x12 in the back. Easiest (and maybe cheapest) is to get a set of GM Cup wheels as they are designed to clear the ZR1 carbon ceramic brakes. By the way I upgraded to ZR1 brakes on my GS so speaking from experience (I just didn't have to do the widebody conversion).

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e36be4e9c.jpeg

did you upgrade the brake master or booster? Direct bolt on I’m assuming? How about lines?

Turbo6TA 03-18-2021 10:03 PM

yaba94070 ...

Jeeeze ... You have been a member of the Corvette Forum for almost 15 years now, and only have 4 total posts.

That may be a record !

:D