CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   RST Twin Disc feels better than stock clutch (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4131400-rst-twin-disc-feels-better-than-stock-clutch.html)

typeav 04-26-2018 12:36 PM

RST Twin Disc feels better than stock clutch

This post is just to make a review about the RST Twin Disc McLeod organic Clutch, I had a difficult time researching what was a similar clutch to stock but able to handled 700 rwhp+ Friends recommended me not go with a twin disc because the noise but I wanted make it right the first time.

The McLeod RST Twin Disc (Organic) with steel flywheel the pedal is softer than stock to the point that I though at the beginning that was installed wrong, there is no rattle or noise at all.

They have different versions and configuration, I'm talking about the McLeod RST Twin Disc Organic with Steel Flywheel - Part Number: 6405507 and the result may varies with the Aluminum Flywheel or Ceramic version of the RXT

~Josh 04-26-2018 12:56 PM

I have the same clutch and reused my stock ls6 flywheel.

I love this clutch. The initial break in chatter goes away after a couple hundred miles.

Would definately buy again.

Vetteman Jack 04-26-2018 01:47 PM

Thanks for the review. Hopefully it helps someone in their decision making process.

typeav 06-04-2018 08:13 PM

Sadly I have to say that the clutch failed me, clutch was installed by professionals dedicated just to LS chevy, I followed all the properly break-in instructions and even more for the extra peace of mind. Everything down there was new, mcleod clutch, mcleod flywheel, gm slave, gm master, mcleod pilot bearing, everything.

Apparently seems to be working fine until I decide to test the car to the limit last night and guess what happened, this damn clutch doesn't engage above 5k rpms. All gears work fine, the car runs fine but doesn't engage at high rpms and the smell is terrible. There is no noise, reverse works fine, all gears work fine, I'm lost.

~Josh 06-04-2018 08:17 PM

They need to drop the inspection panel on the bellhousing and check the slave engagement. I have a feeling the clutch is being partially engaged. I've read that can be an issue sometimes.

typeav 06-04-2018 08:45 PM

Probably this clutch may not be good anymore, even if they get to fix it I don't want it back anymore. I'm not doing the labor and is costing me eye and arm, I did everything right to avoid this issue in specific, I thought I was buying one of the best possible clutch there could be and now I have to pay twice for everything again.

neutron82 06-04-2018 09:36 PM

is the clutch still new?... if so a tick master cylinder should fix it

Simtech 06-04-2018 09:43 PM

Sounds to me like the shop screwed up :eek: That's why I do all my own work. :cheers: Good luck in getting this resolved.

~Josh 06-04-2018 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1597340047)
is the clutch still new?... if so a tick master cylinder should fix it

The instructions that came with mine said it was designed for factory hydraulics and not to use otherwise. I put new GM slave and master. Works good for me.

At the Corvette shop we've installed 3 since I did mine and they all are good.

almosttherec5 06-05-2018 04:51 AM

i love my rst, had it for about 2k miles ish

Moto One 06-05-2018 09:44 AM

I love mine, although I went with a very light flywheel (11 lbs center mass). and it holds at and pulls shifts like the PDK in our other car. Meaning there is no flywheel carrie over when going thru the gears. Then again I don't have 700 ponies.

Do not use an adjustable Slave/Master, it real easy to over extend the PP and cause problems.

Mark.

typeav 06-05-2018 02:36 PM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-6932-07

I decided to give it another shot, I just purchased the McLeod RXT Ceramic 6932-07 rated to 1000 hp

I know I know, I should have go with the Mantic or Monster but lets believe it was the organic material that was not up to the task. I will keep you all updated as the process take place.

Thank you all for your opinions, very appreciated!

Tusc 06-05-2018 05:03 PM

Good luck.

RXT will feel more on/off and less slippy like factory for around town.

I'm glad I had none of the headaches you are going through.

RST, Fidanza 11lb, new GM slave, Tick master. Feels amazing.

mark4cam 06-05-2018 08:42 PM

I don't know the McLeod but have experience with others. Any twin disk clutch is very sensitive to the proper adjustment. If one side is a bit off you won't get full engagement and you'll see symptoms like you described. I see you've ordered the bigger kit now, I just hope they get it installed properly.

FourG63 97GST 06-07-2018 01:08 AM

my mom drove my car with RST in it, great street clutch

Roman 1 06-12-2018 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by typeav (Post 1597079850)
This post is just to make a review about the RST Twin Disc McLeod organic Clutch, I had a difficult time researching what was a similar clutch to stock but able to handled 700 rwhp+ Friends recommended me not go with a twin disc because the noise but I wanted make it right the first time.

The McLeod RST Twin Disc (Organic) with steel flywheel the pedal is softer than stock to the point that I though at the beginning that was installed wrong, there is no rattle or noise at all.

They have different versions and configuration, I'm talking about the McLeod RST Twin Disc Organic with Steel Flywheel - Part Number: 6405507 and the result may varies with the Aluminum Flywheel or Ceramic version of the RXT

I installed the RST twin disk with their flywheel and GM Master and slave cylinders about 9000 miles ago now and I haven't had a single issue. I drive mine like I stole it all the time. Have about 425 HP at the rear wheels and am getting ready to run it in the Silver State Classic again this Sept and don't have a single worry when it comes to my RST clutch. I ran it last sept at the Silver state in the Half Mile shootouts and ran 3 runs to 134 MPH at 7000 feet elevation and then drove it home to Kansas City without any incidents. I wouldn't think twice about putting another RST clutch in my FRC. Car 345

typeav 06-12-2018 06:51 PM

I'm not saying the RST clutch is a bad clutch, just that is not capable to handle 700 lbs of torque with forced induction.

449 rwhp in dynojet was capable handled by my gm oem stock clutch for 2 years

typeav 08-08-2018 09:36 PM

after several test in another car we concluded the clutch is faulty from factory

leadfoot4 08-09-2018 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by typeav (Post 1597393000)
I'm not saying the RST clutch is a bad clutch, just that is not capable to handle 700 lbs of torque with forced induction.

449 rwhp in dynojet was capable handled by my gm oem stock clutch for 2 years

OBVIOUSLY, you have a highly modified car. Somehow or other, you failed to mention this, in your first two posts. Although it's likely that there MAY have been an issue with the parts, initially, or even the installation, it may also be due to your engine being too much for this particular clutch.

_zebra 08-09-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 (Post 1597758167)
OBVIOUSLY, you have a highly modified car. Somehow or other, you failed to mention this, in your first two posts. Although it's likely that there MAY have been an issue with the parts, initially, or even the installation, it may also be due to your engine being too much for this particular clutch.

why buy a 700 or 1000hp twin disk for a stock engine? i doubt that many people have that kind of money to burn...
most folks would agree that a built engine was implied. and having the power that the clutch was designed to handle, you'd still expect it to work right the first time.