CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   My 94 need a new radiator (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4132783-my-94-need-a-new-radiator.html)

Erniep 04-29-2018 08:47 PM

My 94 need a new radiator

I replaced my radiator with a spectra radiator last May. Then I had to replace that one in November because the petcock started to leak. It would not tighten. Now yesterday I saw that one was leaking. I did a pressure test and what do you know. This one has the same leak. So no more spectra radiators for me. So who's had luck with what brand? Champion? DeWitt? Ect.

billschroeder5842 04-29-2018 09:04 PM

Factory GM. I'd stick with original spec unless your engine is heavily modified or you race it.

Keep it simple.

Erniep 04-29-2018 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 (Post 1597100776)
Factory GM. I'd stick with original spec unless your engine is heavily modified or you race it.

Keep it simple.

ok thanks for the reply

aklim 04-29-2018 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Erniep (Post 1597100676)
I replaced my radiator with a spectra radiator last May. Then I had to replace that one in November because the petcock started to leak. It would not tighten. Now yesterday I saw that one was leaking. I did a pressure test and what do you know. This one has the same leak. So no more spectra radiators for me. So who's had luck with what brand? Champion? DeWitt? Ect.

Can you get a refund or are you going to have to eat the loss? If I had to do it, I'd go DeWitts. Actually, I did. Easy to install without too much issues.

Whaleman 04-29-2018 09:53 PM

I have a 1996 that I replaced with a Dewitt. You can have my old one for shipping. Dan

Erniep 04-29-2018 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597101083)
Can you get a refund or are you going to have to eat the loss? If I had to do it, I'd go DeWitts. Actually, I did. Easy to install without too much issues.

no refund just replacement. So I'll have to eat it. I was looking at the Dewitts. Good reviews but a little expensive.

Erniep 04-29-2018 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Whaleman (Post 1597101085)
I have a 1996 that I replaced with a Dewitt. You can have my old one for shipping. Dan

Thanks for the offer. But if I'm going to go through the trouble of replacing it, I'd rather put a new one in.

gdl2165 04-29-2018 11:01 PM

Dewitts is a bit more pricey but in my opinion well worth it. Made in USA and extremely high quality. Yes, I have one in mine, I went with the single-core direct fit in my 96.

MikieG1971 04-29-2018 11:14 PM

I have been reading about Dewitts as well. I want to upgrade to a coolant system that not only performs but looks great under the hood. Three or four row for sure.
They are nearly 3 times more expensive than others found on ebay. Why is this?

aklim 04-29-2018 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Erniep (Post 1597101274)
no refund just replacement. So I'll have to eat it. I was looking at the Dewitts.

Good reviews but a little expensive.

Take it. eBay the replacement.

Good stuff isn't cheap because it doesn't have to be. Cheap stuff isn't good because it can't be.

aklim 04-29-2018 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by MikieG1971 (Post 1597101522)
I have been reading about Dewitts as well. I want to upgrade to a coolant system that not only performs but looks great under the hood. Three or four row for sure.

How much of the radiator would you really see? Most of mine is covered so unless it is a show car or you have a dash mounted camera trained on the radiator, is it worth it to uncover the radiator by removing the shroud?

Erniep will get and new one from Spectra and he might be willing to let it go cheap. You never know. How risk averse are you when it comes to the radiator?

MikieG1971 04-29-2018 11:29 PM

I dont mind the price. Especially if the quality reflects it. This Spectra sounds like something i would avoid.

aklim 04-29-2018 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by MikieG1971 (Post 1597101594)
I dont mind the price. Especially if the quality reflects it. This Spectra sounds like something i would avoid.

To me, a failure can occur on ANY brand including DeWitts. 2 quick failures and I'd probably let you sort things out in manufacturing while I switch to another brand. I consider my hassle part of the equation. It's no fun parking in some seedy joint watching that green puddle under your car. BTDT. This time, they MIGHT get it right or it might be a bad batch our friend got. You gotta ask yourself a question. "Do I feel lucky?". I look for the highest price and the lowest price. Figure out average price and buy something above average at the least.

IF you want it cheaper, get the single row version. If you get something like BeCool, IIRC, they require some modification. Again, how handy are you and how much is your time worth?

Erniep 04-30-2018 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597101529)
Take it. eBay the replacement.

Good stuff isn't cheap because it doesn't have to be. Cheap stuff isn't good because it can't be.

I'll take the replacement because I paid for it. But it's not going in my car. I'll just stick it in the garage.

Erniep 04-30-2018 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by MikieG1971 (Post 1597101522)

There's only one reason. It's made in USA. They have to pay their employees more.

aklim 04-30-2018 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Erniep (Post 1597102155)
I'll take the replacement because I paid for it. But it's not going in my car. I'll just stick it in the garage.

Sell it and recoup some money or keep it and tie up money and be reminded of the bad purchases Your call

JCrock 04-30-2018 08:05 AM

I put a DeWitts in my SS396 Nova. These cars are known for overheating problems. It not only solved the overheating problem, but the radiator looks so near stock it would take a hardcore Chevy guy to spot the difference. Very high quality piece. Yes, it was pricey and yes, it was worth it.

drcook 04-30-2018 09:34 AM

DeWitts hands down. Put a double row in my '96. Fit perfect. I had contacted Ron Davis about how much they would want for a radiator. They wanted pretty close to $900.00. I have both, Ron Davis and DeWitts. The quality is equal. For a Corvette, DeWitts of course, beats them to a pulp on price.

One option you have is to put the replacement in and wait for the sale at the end of the year that DeWitts offers to the board members here. That is how I purchased mine.

aklim 04-30-2018 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by drcook (Post 1597102793)
DeWitts hands down. Put a double row in my '96. Fit perfect. I had contacted Ron Davis about how much they would want for a radiator. They wanted pretty close to $900.00. I have both, Ron Davis and DeWitts. The quality is equal. For a Corvette, DeWitts of course, beats them to a pulp on price.

One option you have is to put the replacement in and wait for the sale at the end of the year that DeWitts offers to the board members here. That is how I purchased mine.

How well do you know the Ron Davis fitment? IOW did you install it personally and how much work? Can I drop it in with minor alterations or major surgery?

drcook 04-30-2018 10:43 AM

Sorry, I meant I have products from both companies. I have a custom made Ron Davis radiator that sits in behind the bumper on my 2500HD Duramax. The 04.5's and 05 's overheated. The cure was to change the inlet going into the turbo charger, change the hot and cold side pipes and add the extra cooling capacity. (GM added 33% to the size of the 2006 radiator).

With that said, the Ron Davis radiator was exactly to print. It fit in exactly where it was designed by a friend of mine to fit. There is not much room behind the bumper, to fit in, be able to drill the needed holes on the radiator tabs and bolt it in, and still be able to snake the hoses through.

I was thoroughly satisfied with the product. If you watch "Counting Cars" or Gas Monkey Garage, they use Ron Davis products a lot. Ron Davis also builds for a lot of high end competitors on the different performance related circuits.

The quality of the welds, etc show no difference between the 2 companies quality control.

For a Corvette radiator, I would recommend DeWitts, in fact I do to everyone that needs one.

For a product that DeWitts doesn't carry, or for a custom fabbed up radiator, I would recommend Ron Davis, unless DeWitts decided to extend that service to this side of the country, then I would help support them because of their "class".