CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous-123/)
-   -   Afr question... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous/4133735-afr-question.html)

C U IN REARVEIW 05-01-2018 09:18 PM

Afr question...

Installed new fuel system (dual walbro 450's /staged) with external fuel regulator....no change in tune....but,wideband drops to 10.0 under boost (3500+ rpm)? Does it need to be retuned due to fuel system? Tune should dictate fuel correct?

MOTOWN Z 05-02-2018 01:23 AM

You will need to tweak the fuel tables in the tune and keep it moving!

C U IN REARVEIW 05-02-2018 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by MOTOWN Z (Post 1597115831)
You will need to tweak the fuel tables in the tune and keep it moving!

It is tuned (non meth dependant) and am spraying methanol...could i just turn down meth a bit and just keep an eye on it obviously? Meth is surely adding fuel that car is not tuned for,will the computer make up for this? I figured the computer would only allow so much fuel to be used regardless of amount available...?

helga203 05-02-2018 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW (Post 1597116360)
It is tuned (non meth dependant) and am spraying methanol...could i just turn down meth a bit and just keep an eye on it obviously? Meth is surely adding fuel that car is not tuned for,will the computer make up for this? I figured the computer would only allow so much fuel to be used regardless of amount available...?

yes because your adding more fuel without a tune adjustment. If you can turn it down that will help but your pretty rich

playtoy 05-02-2018 01:42 PM

Turn the meth off and see where your at. If your still 11.2-11.6 or so with no meth then your good. Add meth as desired. If you are below 11.2 without meth I would go for a retune.

Tech 05-02-2018 05:02 PM

Turn off meth? Meth is used for more than just supplementing an undersized fuel system. Is the fuel regulator boost referenced? You could be running more pressure now, which means you definitely need to do some re-calibrating.

stevieturbo 05-02-2018 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW (Post 1597116360)

It may have been tuned for your previous setup....but with a new fuel system, it has not been tuned

And when you say 10.0 AFR.....what wideband are you using and does it actually display numbers lower than 10, or is it simply pegged at 10 ?

Any computer will only do what it has been told to do via the tuner. You've made major changes to the system, it will need re-tuned.

C U IN REARVEIW 05-02-2018 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1597120865)
It may have been tuned for your previous setup....but with a new fuel system, it has not been tuned

And when you say 10.0 AFR.....what wideband are you using and does it actually display numbers lower than 10, or is it simply pegged at 10 ?

Any computer will only do what it has been told to do via the tuner. You've made major changes to the system, it will need re-tuned.

New fuel regulator is boost reference capable but not hooked up yet (not tapped into charge tube) ....im using a plx Dm6 wideband

C U IN REARVEIW 05-02-2018 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tech (Post 1597120059)
Turn off meth? Meth is used for more than just supplementing an undersized fuel system. Is the fuel regulator boost referenced? You could be running more pressure now, which means you definitely need to do some re-calibrating.

Regulator is set to 58psi and is a return return style setup w/2nd pump being boost activated

playtoy 05-02-2018 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tech (Post 1597120059)

Yes turn it off. He’s saying that it is not tuned dependant on meth so his tuner would have tuned the car on straight fuel then added the meth for safety and cooling. If is truly not meth dependent then he could shut the meth off and see what his afr is. Still rich re tune, decent afr just add some meth back into it. He will definitely need a re tune when he hooks up the boost referenced regulator which is going to increase the rail pressure under boost.

C U IN REARVEIW 05-02-2018 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1597120865)

I just read that my gauge only measure afr from 10-20....soooo....need to find out if it is even lower than 10.0...

stevieturbo 05-03-2018 05:48 AM

If it's sitting at 10 dead...then it most likely is richer than that.

C U IN REARVEIW 05-03-2018 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1597123205)
If it's sitting at 10 dead...then it most likely is richer than that.

That's what Im worried about. I am currently breaking in my new mantic clutch and am not really driving the car hard (just a couple short 2nd/3rd gear pulls)....trying to get clutch broke in before a dyno tune. Will i get fuel in oil/past rings?

stevieturbo 05-03-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW (Post 1597123487)
That's what Im worried about. I am currently breaking in my new mantic clutch and am not really driving the car hard (just a couple short 2nd/3rd gear pulls)....trying to get clutch broke in before a dyno tune. Will i get fuel in oil/past rings?

Depends how rich it is and how often you intend to drive it when it is mega rich.

The bottom line is it needs tuned.

But if you're just driving gently/normally and mixtures seem fine there, then that should be ok until you can get it tuned

C U IN REARVEIW 05-03-2018 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1597124530)
Depends how rich it is and how often you intend to drive it when it is mega rich.

The bottom line is it needs tuned.

But if you're just driving gently/normally and mixtures seem fine there, then that should be ok until you can get it tuned

Yea....just trying to break in clutch before tuning. Only did a few light 2nd/3rd gear pulls

Tech 05-03-2018 11:31 AM

Shouldn't be too hard to break in a clutch while staying out of boost, and thus the meth not activating (or potentially needed).

stevieturbo 05-03-2018 11:37 AM

You could easily drive around the world off boost...and at illegal speeds.

C U IN REARVEIW 05-03-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tech (Post 1597124902)
Shouldn't be too hard to break in a clutch while staying out of boost, and thus the meth not activating (or potentially needed).

What kind of miles are people puting on these twin disc clutches to break them in? How can you tell when its good to run hard (mantic twin disc)?

stevieturbo 05-03-2018 01:06 PM

TBH, unless you really are pushing the absolute limits of the clutch, a lot of the talk of break in is largely nonsense.

Tech 05-03-2018 01:53 PM

There are multiple schools of thought on it. The clutch manufacturers always want to you to break it in 500 miles, so that's what I've always done.