CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Where have all the 01-04 M6 targa tops gone? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4139271-where-have-all-the-01-04-m6-targa-tops-gone.html)

grampi50 05-15-2018 01:32 PM

Where have all the 01-04 M6 coupes gone?

I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds in this forum, and on all of the for sale sites, but it seems like there are very few targa tops available in the 01-04 year group. Most of the C5s in this year group are Z06s. Most people recommend getting one in this year range (as opposed to the 97-00 models), but finding a targa top is seemingly impossible. As much as I don't want to, I may have to go with a 97-00, as there seems to be far more targa tops available in that year group.

coia96vette 05-15-2018 01:54 PM

I have an '04 targa with both tops. Not a manual though. Great car and a blast to drive with the Z51 package. Good luck with your search.

Christian327 05-15-2018 02:01 PM

I have a 99 with both targas but didnt know there was a difference...what type of difference are we talking about?

msandym 05-15-2018 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by grampi50 (Post 1597204137)
I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds in this forum, and on all of the for sale sites, but it seems like there are very few targa tops available in the 01-04 year group. Most of the C5s in this year group are Z06s. Most people recommend getting one in this year range (as opposed to the 97-00 models), but finding a targa top is seemingly impossible. As much as I don't want to, I may have to go with a 97-00, as there seems to be far more targa tops available in that year group.

Therea are some good Facebook groups and I see a lot of coupes for sale on them

grampi50 05-15-2018 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Christian327 (Post 1597204354)
I have a 99 with both targas but didnt know there was a difference...what type of difference are we talking about?

Huh? I guess I don't understand your question...I'm talking about the cars, not the tops...I'm looking to buy a C5, but I want the targa top coupe, not a Z06 or a convertible...

Christian327 05-15-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by grampi50 (Post 1597204679)
Huh? I guess I don't understand your question...I'm talking about the cars, not the tops...I'm looking to buy a C5, but I want the targa top coupe, not a Z06 or a convertible...

Ah lol smh I thought you meant you were looking for the actual targa tops not the coupe...Oh yea, on that note, I have a 99, love it but hindsight would have been patient and got an 01+. Just a lot of parts that arent as expensive. Hope that helps with your decision.

grampi50 05-15-2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Christian327 (Post 1597204816)
Ah lol smh I thought you meant you were looking for the actual targa tops not the coupe...Oh yea, on that note, I have a 99, love it but hindsight would have been patient and got an 01+. Just a lot of parts that arent as expensive. Hope that helps with your decision.

That's what I'm saying...I don't want to wait forever to find one as there aren't many around...almost all of the 01 and newer C5s I see for sale are Z06s...there seem to be a lot more pre-01 targa top coupes for sale than the other way around...

kcobain147 05-15-2018 03:18 PM

I know where there's an electron blue 03 w/the z51 pkg, 6 spd black interior with about 8000 miles on the odo. My garage ;-) Just gotta keep your eyes open. Took me a while to find this one. I wanted a bit higher mileage, but it was all the options I wanted and only an hr away. I paid a bit much for the mileage, but it is what it is. Car is so clean you could eat off the motor. Just keep checking CL, this forum etc. Any "big chevy" dealerships too. I got mine from a stealership that prided themselves on being the biggest vette dealer in NYS. Decent inventory to choose from, of C5 and up.

~Josh 05-15-2018 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by grampi50 (Post 1597204137)

You will regret it. Trust me on it.

bobs77vet 05-15-2018 03:23 PM

keep looking maybe its just a dry spell.....they made lots of 01-04 coupes. it took me a while to find the 04 vert color combination I wanted.

grampi50 05-15-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by ~Josh (Post 1597204884)
You will regret it. Trust me on it.

You would certainly know. I'll just have to be patient...

mark4cam 05-15-2018 04:02 PM

They are out there, patience and keep looking. I love my 04.

Velocity_Vette 05-15-2018 06:58 PM

Targa production numbers with a six speed are fairly low. Depending on the year the percentage is roughly 19%-24% of total yearly production. Keep in mind also with a non FRC or Z06 car the manual transmission was actually an extra-cost option.

When I was first hunting for a C5 I really wanted a Nassau Blue FRC guaranting myself a manual but when I came across a Nassau Blue targa with a six speed that ticked all the other boxes I jumped on it. I will say the major thing I do regret is the targa top is terrible when removed. The noise it produces is a horrendous mess and it’s a shame that a good aftermarket solution that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg hasn’t been figured out. I hardly ever remove the top off my car and it’s only on trips around town. My last big 14 hour trip I had it off for a total of 20 minutes.

Corvette#2 05-15-2018 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette (Post 1597206313)
I will say the major thing I do regret is the targa top is terrible when removed.

When the weather permits, I love to take the targa off. My issue is that it's already too hot out, and I need the AC.

NCVette1 05-15-2018 08:11 PM

I haven't regretted my 99 at all. Not sure why I would. 52k miles and 500 hp.

98Corvette! 05-15-2018 08:47 PM

Don’t be afraid of the right car no matter what year. I have a 98 targa with a 6m . I also wanted a manual trans car. They are not easy to find in good condition. Many have been modded a driven hard. IMO find a car that has been driven 4 to 5 k a year and has service records. Pay attention to the stickies posted above. I have changed all the fluids (especially trans fluid- you won’t believe the difference) and keep a bartery tender on it so the voltage never drops. That causes some of the issues. My car runs great and gives me lots of smiles. Good luck on the search. You will find the right car.

MikeyMcFly 05-15-2018 09:40 PM

Targa production numbers with a six speed are fairly low. Depending on the year the percentage is roughly 19%-24% of total yearly production. Keep in mind also with a non FRC or Z06 car the manual transmission was actually an extra-cost option.

When I was first hunting for a C5 I really wanted a Nassau Blue FRC guaranting myself a manual but when I came across a Nassau Blue targa with a six speed that ticked all the other boxes I jumped on it. I will say the major thing I do regret is the targa top is terrible when removed. The noise it produces is a horrendous mess and it’s a shame that a good aftermarket solution that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg hasn’t been figured out. I hardly ever remove the top off my car and it’s only on trips around town. My last big 14 hour trip I had it off for a total of 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by Corvette#2 (Post 1597206734)
When the weather permits, I love to take the targa off. My issue is that it's already too hot out, and I need the AC.

I very rarely drive mine without the roof off. It was the sole reason for buying the car over some of the other vehicles I was considering. If it gets too hot out, I'll throw a hat on and crank the AC on my feet.

I don't really notice any noise issues and have had conversations on Bluetooth up to 50 MPH with the roof off and windows down. My A4s put me up a bit higher than the OEM seats which put me a bit more in the buffeting area, but that's hardly an issue for me.

I get that the 97-00 cars are pricier to repair in areas and parts are harder to find (EBCM, TPMS, SWPS, etc) but pardon my ignorance here, how much different is the driving experience in the 01-up on a day to day basis?

Good choice on the M6 though. I can't wrap my head around an automatic sports car, unless there's a medical reason not to have one, even the new ones with flappy padle gearboxes that shift in microseconds. An automatic Corvette might as well be a Camry to me from a driving experience.

Vetteman Jack 05-15-2018 10:21 PM

I would be patient and keep your eye open not only on this forum, but on other on-line car selling sites. Plus, post up a WTB thread with what you are looking for in the C5 Corvettes for Sale section (if you haven't done so yet) and perhaps someone who has not listed their car yet may be pushed into doing so.

jrp1588 05-15-2018 10:30 PM

Hmm, I see them regularly in my area. Though I see way more A4's and verts.

RSbeast 05-15-2018 10:40 PM

Roll down your windows. Fixed for free.