CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   So my AC stopped blowing and the motor was clicking... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4139529-so-my-ac-stopped-blowing-and-the-motor-was-clicking.html)

Bfenty 05-16-2018 12:01 AM

So my AC stopped blowing and the motor was clicking...

...and this is what it looked like when I took it apart.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...617feb738.jpeg

Bfenty 05-16-2018 12:03 AM

I cleaned the motor etc out and it sounds ok now but I’m still not getting much from the vents. Could more be stuck somewhere? What would be the best way to clean everything out (preferably with the least amount of disassembly?) I’d appreciate advice.

aklim 05-16-2018 12:21 AM

I think you might have to bite the bullet and take the ductwork apart to be certain. You can try a leaf blower to force air into the system and maybe it might work and maybe it might cause things to be forced further inside but not out. I am guessing that this is the fan that has blown that crap into the fins of the evaporator and the ductwork so your call. Force air into it and take your chances or disassemble to be safe.

Bfenty 05-16-2018 08:13 AM

/sigh...you’re probably right. Does that mean taking the dash pad off to get to it?

EDIT: also is there a cabin air filter to change?

ZEN357 05-16-2018 08:15 AM

Try sucking anything out with a heavy duty shop vac.

Need A Vette 05-16-2018 08:38 AM

I would block off ALL of the vents, but for one, then, make a template for that last vent, with the nozzle of your shop vac in that last block out plate, for lack of a better term, and turn it on, letting it suck what's left of the mouse family out of their confines. Hopefully that will work, without having to tear the entire dash apart.

I've never been through the corvette assembly plant, but I'm sure that they have mutants with a second elbow somewhere in their forearm, that work there. Good luck with the rodent eviction.

D.

aklim 05-16-2018 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bfenty (Post 1597209105)
/sigh...you’re probably right. Does that mean taking the dash pad off to get to it?

EDIT: also is there a cabin air filter to change?

I don't believe that it has a cabin filter. I'd take it apart since you're already reporting blockage is somewhere inside the system and IDK if something died there. I suppose if you find the clog at the evaporator core you can risk and blow air but my fear is you get stuff clogged further. Someone tried that and ended up paying someone to remove mouse poop and the corpse in the system.

Bfenty 05-16-2018 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597209391)
I don't believe that it has a cabin filter. I'd take it apart since you're already reporting blockage is somewhere inside the system and IDK if something died there. I suppose if you find the clog at the evaporator core you can risk and blow air but my fear is you get stuff clogged further. Someone tried that and ended up paying someone to remove mouse poop and the corpse in the system.

Well I already cleared the clog at the evaporator, so if there's more in there it's further in and I'll have to take it apart ANYWAY...might as well try the blowing method, right?

aklim 05-16-2018 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bfenty (Post 1597209746)
Well I already cleared the clog at the evaporator, so if there's more in there it's further in and I'll have to take it apart ANYWAY...might as well try the blowing method, right?

I guess you could. Like I was saying, IDK if it is just fluff or whether there is a dead mouse or mouse poop. I had mice in the RV. For whatever reason, there were a few dead ones in the toilet. I had a shop remove it and put in a new one before the wife would use the crapper. Your call. The other thing I am afraid of is that the fluff gets stuck around the diverters and I am not sure if they are mechanical or electrical. I suspect you are mechanical but not 100% sure. How adverse to risk of this sort are you?

Bfenty 05-16-2018 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597212269)
I guess you could. Like I was saying, IDK if it is just fluff or whether there is a dead mouse or mouse poop. I had mice in the RV. For whatever reason, there were a few dead ones in the toilet. I had a shop remove it and put in a new one before the wife would use the crapper. Your call. The other thing I am afraid of is that the fluff gets stuck around the diverters and I am not sure if they are mechanical or electrical. I suspect you are mechanical but not 100% sure. How adverse to risk of this sort are you?

Hmmm...it could already be stuck there. CRAP...

I noticed that changing the selector didn't seem to change where the air was coming out (like it should) but also that the volume of air was low overall. I figured the low volume was why I wasn't feeling a change so much. UGH!!!

:toetap::toetap::toetap:

aklim 05-16-2018 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bfenty (Post 1597212294)

I noticed that changing the selector didn't seem to change where the air was coming out (like it should) but also that the volume of air was low overall. I figured the low volume was why I wasn't feeling a change so much. UGH!!!

Not sure. Do you have manual or C68 system? C68 has vacuum to control it so it may be too stuck for it to move the blend doors? Just speculating.

Bfenty 05-16-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597214894)
Not sure. Do you have manual or C68 system? C68 has vacuum to control it so it may be too stuck for it to move the blend doors? Just speculating.

manual, but I think that uses vacuum to move the blend doors too. The cold/hot blend door is a cable but the vents change depending on where the slider is.

FOURSPEEDVETTE 05-18-2018 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bfenty (Post 1597208146)
...and this is what it looked like when I took it apart.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...617feb738.jpeg

I have to ask.....what the f--- is that? Do you really think it was a mouse or some other critter? No strange odors?

xrav22 05-18-2018 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bfenty (Post 1597212294)

Your blend doors run on vacuum, and solely get there vacuum from the engine. The connector goes to the rr of engine area. Then when vacuum is low the ball thing compensates. Make sure it is hooked up. :cheers:

Bfenty 05-18-2018 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE (Post 1597223953)
I have to ask.....what the f--- is that? Do you really think it was a mouse or some other critter? No strange odors?

It was probably a nest. There wasn't much gore so I'm thinking he wasn't in there when I turned it on.

Gonna be pissed if he gets back in there though.

Bfenty 05-20-2018 09:24 AM

So, pro tip:a vacuum operated system requires VACUUM to work. That means to change where air comes out of the system the engine must be running. I drove her several times yesterday and air blew cold the whole time.

Is there a way to improve the general airflow of the AC system? It blows plenty cold but not very hard. I mean it’s as hard as the AC in any C4 I’ve seen just in general it’s not great.

aklim 05-20-2018 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bfenty (Post 1597236561)
So, pro tip:a vacuum operated system requires VACUUM to work. That means to change where air comes out of the system the engine must be running. I drove her several times yesterday and air blew cold the whole time.

Is there a way to improve the general airflow of the AC system? It blows plenty cold but not very hard. I mean it’s as hard as the AC in any C4 I’ve seen just in general it’s not great.

So the system is like some guys who can't rise to the occasion? Need a little vacuum to get them going? Why can't it be from a vacuum pump? Can you not put a pump onto the hose without running the engine? If the air was cold, the cooling system is functioning.

I doubt you can improve it. Just make sure it is clear of obstructions. So I guess you got lucky and there was nothing downstream?

Bfenty 05-20-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597236721)
So the system is like some guys who can't rise to the occasion? Need a little vacuum to get them going? Why can't it be from a vacuum pump? Can you not put a pump onto the hose without running the engine? If the air was cold, the cooling system is functioning.

I doubt you can improve it. Just make sure it is clear of obstructions. So I guess you got lucky and there was nothing downstream?

That's correct. I got lucky. :cheers:

And yes, TECHNICALLY a vacuum pump would work...but simply starting the car is a MUCH simpler solution that doesn't require rerouting the cars vaccum lines...

xrav22 05-20-2018 01:53 PM

Hi have you checked your firewall where your heater pipe goes thru and on the evaporator case where the ac lines go in. Air pressure will escape right into the engine bay if they are not sealed fully.

Bfenty 05-21-2018 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by xrav22 (Post 1597238245)
Hi have you checked your firewall where your heater pipe goes thru and on the evaporator case where the ac lines go in. Air pressure will escape right into the engine bay if they are not sealed fully.

It leaks there for sure. Not sure how to seal it up better though? It's a relatively small leak, I noticed it when I was fixing my AC.