CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   What Would YOU do? Question: Original Fuel Pump - Use it OR Replace it (???) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4140059-what-would-you-do-question-original-fuel-pump-use-it-or-replace-it.html)

Red86Z51 05-17-2018 08:52 AM

What Would YOU do? Question: Original Fuel Pump - Use it OR Replace it (???)

Normally, a decision like this is a no-brainer for me...if I do not know a car's history, I would replace the fuel pump...but for some reason I am at a cross roads this time. I DO know this car's history. I have spoken to the original owner (and still do). The car has 17,9xx miles. The fuel system has always had fuel in it and the car has always been run throughout the last 42 years. The fuel system was NEVER allowed to go dormant or dry. I have NO performance issues whatsoever.

My wife and I are planning some long distance trips in our car.

Given all of the above, if you were in my shoes, what would YOU do? Replace the pump and put the original on the shelf, OR feel confident using the original and not give it a second thought?

Dave

Easy Mike 05-17-2018 09:04 AM

Which do you feel most comfortable with?

resdoggie 05-17-2018 09:09 AM

Fuel pumps aren't expensive and easy to replace.

dmaxx3500 05-17-2018 09:13 AM

if you think you need to replace it ,then replace it,,save the old one,what year is your car?

Red86Z51 05-17-2018 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1597216335)
Which do you feel most comfortable with?

It's not really a matter of comfort, it's a matter of should I based on age.

Red86Z51 05-17-2018 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by resdoggie (Post 1597216366)
Fuel pumps aren't expensive and easy to replace.

I know...I honestly have ZERO intention to replace with a cheap pump if replacement is the way I fly with this. I really hate to replace something that doesn't need replacing...especially when I know the original was a quality U.S. made original and not some Chinese made crap. My concern stems more from the age of the pump and the diaphragm.

Red86Z51 05-17-2018 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 (Post 1597216389)
if you think you need to replace it ,then replace it,,save the old one,what year is your car?

I don't think I need to replace it. I'm just wondering if I should replace it based on age.

stingr69 05-17-2018 09:51 AM

There is no way to know when a fuel pump will fail, but it certainly will fail sometime. NOBODY gets points for car fires. Fuel pump originality is a lot like original tires when you think about it. Is it worth the risk? Have you ever heard anyone say "WOW! look at that original fuel pump"? Nobody cares about it.

Original fuel pump on a 40 year old car scares me a bit. A well broken-in quality replacement from NAPA would allow me to sleep well at night. One less thing to go wrong.

drwet 05-17-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Orange76L48 (Post 1597216525)
I know...I honestly have ZERO intention to replace with a cheap pump if replacement is the way I fly with this. I really hate to replace something that doesn't need replacing...especially when I know the original was a quality U.S. made original and not some Chinese made crap. My concern stems more from the age of the pump and the diaphragm.

Interesting you should bring this up. When I replaced the motor in my '79 this past winter I bought a new fuel pump thinking I would replace it, since everything else under the hood is brand new. The more I thought about it, the less comfortable I became with the idea. My experience with replacement parts in the last few years has not been good. Who knows where these parts have been manufactured? There is a lot of crap finding its way onto the market, and some of it in pretty big name boxes. I have a friend who works for one of the big auto parts suppliers here in town and he agrees with me. His attitude is if the existing part is working, don't change it. There is no guarantee the part you put on to replace it is not worse. I finally decided to reuse the pump that was on the old engine, and I now carry the replacement in my emergency kit. (Although I hate the thought of trying to change a fuel pump on that car on the side of the road.)

marshal135 05-17-2018 10:00 AM

Throw an AC Delco from Rock Auto.com in the jack storage area and you won't need it.
Kinda like when you take an umbrella it never rains.
It can be changed in an emergency by a mechanic or if your feeling like McGuyver ...... on the roadside.:thumbs:
Enjoy your trip.... Life's too short
Marshal

cooper9811 05-17-2018 10:12 AM

If you are at all worried, I would do it just for piece of mind.

I've used the stock-style replacement pumps from Napa and Advance Auto - I experienced no issues with fit or function. Just be sure you get the right style (there are two versions, one taller than the other - I don't recall offhand which is which is correct). I have used both, but the hard line connection to the carb can be an issue with the wrong one.

Red86Z51 05-17-2018 11:45 AM

Some good thoughts here...thank you! :thumbs:

I actually like the idea of picking up an AC Delco pump and tossing it in the jackwell as a spare. Although it wouldn't be the most fun you could have with your clothes on, it could be changed on the fly in the case of an emergency.

I've had more than my share of bad experiences with aftermarket parts. I now avoid the Chinese made ones like the plague...they are, hands down, complete junk.

Next best choice for aftermarket parts are those made in Mexico...I've had much better luck with those. Many of ACD's are made there now.

Thanks for the replies! :thumbs:

Dave

Peterbuilt 05-17-2018 12:04 PM

I would leave the original fuel pump alone but I would change the 'S' hose.

https://www.zip-corvette.com/70-82-f...pump-hose.html

Kingtal0n 05-17-2018 12:06 PM

I always carry a spare pump and everything required to swap it out

Red86Z51 05-17-2018 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt (Post 1597217527)
I would leave the original fuel pump alone but I would change the 'S' hose.

https://www.zip-corvette.com/70-82-f...pump-hose.html

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thanks for that link!

jb78L-82 05-17-2018 02:00 PM

It is funny that you bring the question up. I had the same dilemma in 2014 when I rebuilt/upgraded my 66,000 mile L-82 into a 355. The Fuel pump was original and never had any issues but I thought I have changed everything else or reconditioned it so may be I should. I did but an AC Delco Mexico replacement and replaced the OEM pump...no issues going into season driving 5. As others have stated, the OEM pump WILL fail at some point so I would just replace it and use the OEM Delco as a backup.

calwldlife 05-17-2018 03:12 PM

question has been around a long time.
preventative maintenance.
can be over done and some shops take advantage of customers.

like mentioned, new does not mean flawless.

add the chance that lines and fittings may be
disturbed till they add a chance of leak/failure the
change can cause problems.

i can't say pump failure chance is high on my list of worries.

i think they fail slowly by losing pressure rather than just quit.
but then a gain i don't run a shop and notice the amount of pump
failures.
now electric ones is a different story.
they do just quit. but again they also just
lose pressure aswell.

i would just carry one, small part.

derekderek 05-17-2018 05:03 PM

Put it on the shelf. 40 year old rubber diaphragm. Add the flexible brake lines to the collection.

whateverpratt 05-18-2018 11:11 PM

I'd run it. I haven't had a mechanical pump fail me yet, but electrical ones have let me down.
If you're still worried about it, replace it
Not too worried, carry a spare
Reckless and adventuresome... See how long it lasts

cv67 05-20-2018 01:16 PM

w/derek, its old period. Replace it, carry a spare, belts stuff like that and tools just in case. AAA Card takes care of the rest.
Ill never understand some that build a new motor, stick a rusty old water pump/fuel pump on and roll the dice. Penny wise, pound foolish.
As said nobody cares if its original it drives the same. That stuff gets way overblown in forums, in real life it doesnt mean a thing at all.