CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   How far would you drive your Z06? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4140905-how-far-would-you-drive-your-z06.html)

ukester 05-19-2018 09:20 AM

How far would you drive your Z06?

Question is driving this from Wisconsin to its new home in Florida apprx 1210 miles-has the cup2 tires on it which may be a concern-car has less than 4000 miles on a 2016-road rash i have installed larger gm mud flaps then 3/4 side skirts and drive this like a baby{i drive around a pebble in the road}and I see where stones hit the rear brake vents and above. Enclosed transportation costs are around 1200 and above and with that you still wonder about your car.

What if any would you do if you were to make this drive
1 change tires and then what tires would you install
2 any type of clear tastic on the front end
Or ???

Thanks
Mark

Trackhawkz06 05-19-2018 09:33 AM

If you are'nt going to be racing it, I would deffintly take the cup 2's off and put on the super sports... I have a z07 and it came with the sport cups, and those things are rocks. They take a while to get heat in them, and they are horrid in the rain... The Super Sports are still a great tire, and you wont be scared out of your mind if you hit a little rain.

As long as your luggage fits in the back, you should be good....

I am trying to talk my GF into letting us drive the z06 from NJ to Disneyworld... But shes not having any of that...

Also I would xpel the front exposed areas of the car... (I did my whole car). like the Front bumper, hood, mirrors.... fenders... But people are against that and i see their point as well... its very expensive to xpel the car, and it still doesn't guarantee from a rock chip... Some peoples perspective is take the 4-6g in xpel and put it towards a sick paint job or wrap.

Good Luck and safe travels sir!

SnowyATX 05-19-2018 09:46 AM

Drove my '17 (non Cups) with 3/4 skirts and GM extended front guards from Detroit to Austin the day I bought her. No issues.

Installed ACS flaps when I got home and 9K miles later no road rash yet at rear brake ducts.

Driving from Austin to Smokies in Sept. This will be our 5th 2K plus road trip in our Vettes ('08 and '14).

Road trips in these cars are awesome. We use soft duffle bags. That being said this is not a show car. If it was I'd be nervous the whole time.

dvilin 05-19-2018 10:04 AM

I would ship it.

ZR1Bob 05-19-2018 11:15 AM

I did a 2,600 mile road trip last year and plan a 2,000 mile one this year. No problems except lots of rain. Carried two suitcases, a cooler and wash bucket full of cleaning stuff. Still had room for other things. Super Sport tires, 12k miles still with plenty of depth. --Bob

Z0HS1CK 05-19-2018 11:23 AM

I'm all for road trips, especially during this time of the year. But a trip like that, i would consider shipping the car.

But if you just bought this car, i would spend the money and have it shipped.

1200 miles is a lot. And so is 1200 bucks.

But in this situation, that 1200 bucks is worth it.

Kyflyer 05-19-2018 11:56 AM

I did two trips on Route 66 in my 2014 Stingray and I am planning one to the Dakotas in the Z06 as soon as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s are available. I may do it in with the OEM tires once I have the MRC update installed. I have been delayed with that due to the Extended monsoon season this year in Kentucky.

I would do the trip it is a great cruising car.

Mcrider 05-19-2018 12:09 PM

It's a car, why would you NOT drive it?

We leave on a 3K mile road trip here in a few days. Never thought of shipping it.

OnPoint 05-19-2018 12:13 PM

I drove 800 miles home in one day from taking Museum delivery. No probs. And great road trip.

Mine doesn't have the cups, tho.

dennismur 05-19-2018 12:18 PM

Road Trip

Originally Posted by Kyflyer (Post 1597231696)
I did two trips on Route 66 in my 2014 Stingray and I am planning one to the Dakotas in the Z06 as soon as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s are available. I may do it in with the OEM tires once I have the MRC update installed. I have been delayed with that due to the Extended monsoon season this year in Kentucky.

I would do the trip it is a great cruising car.

I live in S. Florida. If you want to ship the car, now is a good time. The snowbirds are shipping their cars north and carriers are hungry to find cars going south. I use a full bra for a Z06 on the front of my 017 Z06 and the acs splash guards with absolutely no problems. As with the tires, others on here can advise better than I.

pkincy 05-19-2018 01:13 PM

Depends on your plans for the car. If you want to keep it a super low mileage no chip car, ship it with a good carrier. If you actually want to drive it more now that you are in Florida, drive it down. The extra 1200 miles won't really matter.

SSTG 05-19-2018 01:15 PM

Check out XPel Tracwrap. It will protect the car on your drive home and it’s easily removable.

Don’t know how soon you need it but I might have some after my car gets delivered in a week or two. PM if you’re interested.

davepl 05-19-2018 01:36 PM

If this is the road trip you -want- to take, take it! But if you'd rather drive it somewhere else, ship it home and drive the route you want. Time is too precious to waste a week on a drive you don't want to take or to miss out on one you do, if you can afford the shipping.

I don't know the weather in that region this time of year, but if it's compatible with the Cup2 tires (or switch to MPSS) then the car itself is fine for that kind of trip!

Bill Dearborn 05-19-2018 01:50 PM

One thing you can do is make your own front guards using the OReilly Autoparts universal guards. There is a thread on the forum that discusses how to make them so they block the debris thrown from the front tires. The Cup2s wil throw a little more debris than the PSS but they both throw enough that if you drive on roads that have any sand or small pebbles you will get chipped brake ducts and quarter panels. No way around it as it is the nature of the beast.

You could also apply some Cleartastic for another low cost solution.

With less than 4K miles on the Cup2s without any tracking you should still have sufficient tread depth 2/32+ on the inner tread sections to be able to handle rain. If you haven't had a wear issue on the inside of the tires due to the alignment you should be ready to go. In Heavy Rain just put the car in weather mode and don't make sudden changes in steering, braking or up or down throttle movement. Sudden jabs do you in and sudden lifts can make an interesting situation a terrible one almost instantly. Do what they showed you how to do at Spring Mountain and you will be fine.

State laws and safety experts say a tire is worn out when the tread depth drops to 2/32 (wear bars showing) but on track we keep an eye on the tires and a lot of us don't toss them until they start throwing sparks as tread only benefits you when the surface is wet.

Bill

3 Z06ZR1 05-19-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1597231069)
I would ship it.

Not me! Daily driver on both cars.
I just did about 2000 miles. 1600 to get there then another 300-400 in fun miles and I'm leaving the car there to drive back late summer.

No worse for the wear with 800 hp it is a hoot!

3 Z06ZR1 05-19-2018 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1597232296)
One thing you can do is make your own front guards using the OReilly Autoparts universal guards. There is a thread on the forum that discusses how to make them so they block the debris thrown from the front tires. The Cup2s wil throw a little more debris than the PSS but they both throw enough that if you drive on roads that have any sand or small pebbles you will get chipped brake ducts and quarter panels. No way around it as it is the nature of the beast.

You could also apply some Cleartastic for another low cost solution.

With less than 4K miles on the Cup2s without any tracking you should still have sufficient tread depth 2/32+ on the inner tread sections to be able to handle rain. If you haven't had a wear issue on the inside of the tires due to the alignment you should be ready to go. In Heavy Rain just put the car in weather mode and don't make sudden changes in steering, braking or up or down throttle movement. Sudden jabs do you in and sudden lifts can make an interesting situation a terrible one almost instantly. Do what they showed you how to do at Spring Mountain and you will be fine.

State laws and safety experts say a tire is worn out when the tread depth drops to 2/32 (wear bars showing) but on track we keep an eye on the tires and a lot of us don't toss them until they start throwing sparks as tread only benefits you when the surface is wet.

Bill

31k and not a speck on either brake vent! GM front guards and side skirts since day one.

jcchevy 05-19-2018 02:39 PM

Bought it to drive it! My last Z (09) sat in the garage a lot, not so for the 16. We took it on the National Park tour with the NCM last fall and it was ~ 3500 miles round trip. Had a great time and plan to do the one lap of Kentucky in October as well as a the “Tail of the Dragon” on another trip. I protect it with the mud guards etc, and ensure the tires are good to go. This car is going to see the road, that’s why I bought it!

Warp Factor 05-19-2018 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1597232296)
With less than 4K miles on the Cup2s without any tracking you should still have sufficient tread depth 2/32+ on the inner tread sections to be able to handle rain. If you haven't had a wear issue on the inside of the tires due to the alignment you should be ready to go. In Heavy Rain just put the car in weather mode and don't make sudden changes in steering, braking or up or down throttle movement.
Bill

Depends on how hard it's raining. If you hit a heavy rain squall, best to pull off. At one point, with nearly new Super Sports, I was going only 35-40 on the freeway with my four-way flashers on, and still hydroplaning intermittently (no steering control whatsoever). Didn't think is was safe to go slower, because traffic was coming up behind so fast, and visibility was so poor that they probably wouldn't have seen me until it was too late.
Some kind trucker must have noticed what was going on (the car was going slightly sideways from time-to-time on straight sections), or perhaps he owned a street-driven vehicle with wide tires not suited to heavy rain. Either way, he/she stayed behind me with flashers on until I was able to take the first exit.

Another tribute to truckers: My wife and I gambled on making our way between violent thunderstorms on our Harleys. Looked promising on radar images, but didn't quite work out. Not only heavy rain, but violent crosswinds, sufficient to make one make involuntary lane changes . Another trucker took our back door with flashers on, 'till we came to the next exit.

wags 05-19-2018 04:02 PM

Trips

I drive my Z with cup 2s from Texas to Wisconsin every year. I have put two sets of cups and one set of super sports on so far. the cups are so much more fun I will not buy the super sports again. I put on about 10 coats of a good wax so I can wipe bugs off with a wet micro fiber towel-thus when I arrive my car looks clean-if I do not hit rain.

Pacembellum 05-19-2018 04:22 PM

Option 1: rent a 1 way uhaul trailer and tow it with your truck, you have a truck right?

Option 2: just drive it, its not round trip so 1200 miles once isnt that bad.

Option 3: ship it, could get scratched, etc. For $1200.

Option 4- make the trip an adventure to drive it in the mountains of Kentucky, tennessee and georgia (sorta) on your way. This way you are getting use out of the car vs just pounding freeway miles.

I had the brake ducts wrapped in Suntek ultra and haven't had a chip or scratch running either the 3/4 or full skirts along with the ACS front splash guards.

You have cup2 on the car so im going to guess its a track machine as well, no sense owning cup2 if you dont track. Maybe find a track on your way you want to check out!