CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Got the letter (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4140907-got-the-letter.html)

VH Vette 05-19-2018 09:21 AM

Got the letter

Ok, I received the letter on the fuel Tank/system potential problem. Yes, the 10 year cost covering by GM is Ok. My problem is now feeling like my Corvette is now going to be treated as a depreciated value situation. Fast forward 6, 7 0r 8 so years down the road and I decide to sell. If you were the potential new owner and only have a couple of years coverage, but after that you will bear the cost of repairs would you be reducing your offer accordingly?
On the similar problem on the C5 this is/was a cloud that hung over it when owners went to sell.
I know the argument that if it does not leak in 10 years it should be Ok. Does that make you feel better. Would it make a potential buyer feel better?
I think that there might be some better solutions like:
-GM fix my car with new parts that will not fail.
-Give me the money that the repair will cost so I am being made whole in the depreciated situation.
-Extend the free fix cost indefinitely.
-Buy it back for what I paid.
-or some other solution that does not leave me with this problem.
Another issue on this, is the way I read the letter it states "the condition will be repaired for you at no charge". Does this mean original owner or person letter was addressed to only? Lawyers can weave a very tight web around some of these things.
The final point is how do I sleep comfortable at night when I now know it is possible that my Corvette can be leaking fuel setting up a very dangerous situation. Could you?
I don't want to stir it up, just curious how others that get the letter feel about this.
VH

Jmhornz71 05-19-2018 09:30 AM

I had the problem on my 08. It took a while for the dealer got the parts a GM sourced another supplier. It fixed the problem for the 15k miles I kept it after that. I didnt see any depreciated value on trade :flag:

bjones7131 05-19-2018 09:49 AM

So will all us C7 owners get this letter???

Borntorun04/17 05-19-2018 09:58 AM

Haven't gotten letter and not sure if 17 GS is included. My 04 had similar fuel system / fuel tank problem . That was with the Cross Over for fuel tanks. My 04 was with in the VIN numbers, But didn't show signs of problem until after the 10 year period. My extended warranty for car did cover repairs. Repair would have cost 2300.00 dollars back then , I had no problem with car fuel system after repair was done . I will wait and see if I get letter and just gives me another reason to get a extended warranty before my b/b warranty runs out. It didn't hurt my trade in value at all ! In the mean time I am going to enjoy may 17 GS !

23/C8Z 05-19-2018 10:03 AM

can someone post the content of the letter? or if there's a TSB with affected models/years?

VH Vette 05-19-2018 11:32 AM

This would be a concern:
Check out 3rd post with links to other posts on leaks.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-stored.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eak-issue.html

VH

SilverGhost 05-19-2018 12:21 PM

Forget the snail mail, register your car at chevrolet.com and you will see if they added the 10yr/120K mile 17469 warranty to it. I have the warranty, effective starting the day I bought it. just what i needed, a bomb in my garage, that chevrolet will warranty IF it goes off, for the next 10 years. thank you sneaky snake GM!

Expiration Mileage:
120,006 Miles Remaining
Expiration Date:
3/16/2028

kaplana08 05-19-2018 01:43 PM

Ughhh

Ughh can anything else go wrong with this car. Gotta love GM: :willy:

roadbike56 05-19-2018 02:35 PM

Based on what happened to the 2004 C5 I can tell you EXACTLY what will happen to your resale value.
Nothing, Nicht, Nada, Zero impact.
When I bought my used 2004 in year 2012, I went to the forums to ask what to look for. The gas tank issue didn't come up. I didn't know about it until after I purchased my 04. Turned out, mine was not on the list.
If you don't believe what I'm saying about resale, go to autotrader and find any 04s that are priced way less than a 02 or 03 because of the gas tank issue. You won't because they don't exist. In fact, the typical recommendation is to buy an 03 or 04 if you're buying a C5 because they figured out all the issues by then. Early C6s are plagued with leaking gas tanks and it's had zero impact on resale. I was looking at a C6 at one time but passed on it partly because of the smell of gasoline after the dealer added gas. I'm not saying the gas tank issue isn't a problem, but you asked about resale and the answer is, it's a non-event. I can't explain it because it's a serious cost if it occurs.
As for the warranty, the 04 warranty was on the car, not the owner, so if it met the requirements of the warranty, it was repaired no matter who owns it.

kc stingray 05-19-2018 02:59 PM

i received my letter yesterday

blueray16 05-19-2018 04:03 PM

Got my letter this afternoon. '16 Z51

kenrobb 05-19-2018 04:33 PM

Looked at my 16MY and see that the special coverage 17469 is on it at Chevrolet.com.
From Z06 forum and GM Customer Service:
"Thank you! You have a special coverage for the fuel pump, which is effective until 4/29/2027 or 120,357 miles, whichever comes first. On some vehicles, cracks on the top surface of the left fuel tank fuel pump module flange, may cause fuel odor, or a loss of fuel on the ground. A Check Engine lamp may illuminate if the fuel tank is less than half full. If you were experiencing this issue, the next step would be to have a Chevrolet Dealership diagnose the vehicle, so they could diagnose it and determine if this special coverage applies." A bummer, oh well.

Marcho Polo 05-19-2018 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I checked warranty online and have the special added coverage.

How many have experienced the issue here?

Attachment 48286063

rmorin1249 05-19-2018 04:37 PM

Mine cracked about a year ago. Fuel smell in a closed garage was very strong. Almost certain it was a definite fire hazard especially if any open flames are nearby. Repair required disassembling rear half of the undercarriage, dropping both tanks and replacing the unit. Not an easy job. My car has been a real PITA and a disappointment.

Added: Just checked and my car has the special extended warranty. Already been disassembled once for fuel leak on top of left tank. Sure hope I don't have a repeat occurrence.

GOC 05-19-2018 05:53 PM

Sorry to hear about the issue. Let's hope GM makes right about his. I have not received anything. Is this something that affects all C7s?

Maxpowers 05-19-2018 05:57 PM

I got the letter too.

Maxpowers 05-19-2018 06:05 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...412dfe5e7c.jpg

pasquale91 05-19-2018 06:53 PM

Just checked online also and my17 GS has it too.

raylo 05-19-2018 07:12 PM

Haven't got the letter but I see online that I have the special service applied to my 2016 Z51. Just great. I wonder if that also covers us if our houses burn down due to a gas leak? The OP sure could have had a major fire or explosion with that kind of leak.

Edit: I meant the OP in the other thread who reported gas fumes throughout his house and about 2 gallons on his garage floor. I am assuming he was smart enough not to use the electric garage door opener with that level of fumes.

elegant 05-19-2018 07:19 PM

I sure understand that this is unnerving to those effected. Right now, I am only seeing some 2016 owners effected from above posts. Anyone with other than a 2016 who got the letter, and/or went on line and found out their another-year C7 is effected, please post up here for the rest of us.

Thank you.