CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Will the top still be removable? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4141765-will-the-top-still-be-removable.html)

brooklync5 05-21-2018 11:48 AM

Will the top still be removable?

If so where do you put it?

Jeff V. 05-21-2018 11:58 AM

Renault shows it can be done simply and cheaply.

The shape of the roof segments on the 458 Spyder is closer to what we've seen in the GM test cars.

jimmyb 05-21-2018 12:11 PM

I'm wondering if they will offer a Targa on the C8....
Makes more sense to do a hardtop convertible and a closed coupe (a la 488).
If they do it, the screams of anguish will make the headlight (C6) and taillight (C7) hissy fits seem like child's play.

Quinten33 05-21-2018 12:12 PM

My best inference is a retractable hardtop just like the 488GTB and a Targa in which the roof stores in a vertical position behind the seats. However, a targa maybe left out in exchange for storage space.

elegant 05-21-2018 12:16 PM

Oh yes, we are going to be in for some major ME wailing. That’s fine as long as it is friendly based opinions and facts. The ME will be so different than the C7; it is okay that many do not like it.

I predict that right after its reveal, for whatever reasons, 50% will say they do not like it, do not like its looks, and/or its having X or not having Y, but give folks a chance to walk completely around one, that percentage will drop to 25%. Again, just fine with me that 1/4 of current Corvette owners will never like it.

Jeff V. 05-21-2018 12:24 PM

They're going to need to cut a lot of weight out of the targa if they expect people to stow it vertically behind the seats. I'm no weakling, but the C7 roof is still pretty awkward for me to get in and out of place. Having to maneuver it around the body and interior would be a pain. They'd also have to be very creative with the storage area to prevent dirt build up from damaging the finish of the roof panel.

jimmyb 05-21-2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by elegant (Post 1597244034)
Oh yes, we are going to be in for some major ME wailing. That’s fine as long as it is friendly based opinions and facts. The ME will be so different than the C7; it is okay that many do not like it.

I predict that right after its reveal, for whatever reasons, 50% will say they do not like it, do not like its looks, and/or its having X or not having Y, but give folks a chance to walk completely around one, that percentage will drop to 25%. Again, just fine with me that 1/4 of current Corvette owners will never like it.

:iagree:
The C7 brought out a shocking number of haters, this thing is going to take it to a new level....and if they DON'T do a Targa (which I'm thinking they won't), it's gonna be storm the gates time.

Jeff V. 05-21-2018 01:02 PM

The targa will be kept for the front engine C8. :skep:

:D

Batman 357 05-21-2018 01:47 PM

I'll bet the ME will have a fixed top.

OnPoint 05-21-2018 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1597243993)
I'm wondering if they will offer a Targa on the C8....
Makes more sense to do a hardtop convertible and a closed coupe (a la 488).

If they do it, the screams of anguish will make the headlight (C6) and taillight (C7) hissy fits seem like child's play.

I hope that is exactly what they offer.

Jeff V. 05-21-2018 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Batman 357 (Post 1597244746)
I'll bet the ME will have a fixed top.

One of the few clear details we've seen of the car is two different roof configurations.

If they go with a Ferrari style folding roof, that's almost more of a powered targa than a true convertible. So it'd make sense to have the other option be a fixed roof.

Given the number of comments I've seen on this forum about people never removing their roof, and the very few that I see being driven around with them off, I don't think the targa is as important as some like to think it is. A Ferrari style roof could satisfy both the convertible and targa buyers. The fixed roof car could be cheaper, even if it's not structurally necessary.

elegant 05-21-2018 02:38 PM

This is a good thread. Broadening its scope a little, do we get two or three roof options?

Of these, I am only sure we are getting a HT convertible option, but do not know whether the coupe we have been seeing is a fixed roof or a manually removable one — or, do we get both options?

Personally, I am sure we will not be getting a traditional flat-decked convertible like all previous Corvettes have had/offered, and that those wanting a flat deck convertible will need to choose the carryover C7’s.

tomlink 05-21-2018 02:48 PM

I bought my C5 with the Targa top because I wanted the extra cargo space the coupe provided and I thought it was lame that in 2003, Corvette convertibles still had a manual top (I know it's a simple operation, but really?).

I thought the Targa had it all - until I drove my friend's C6 vert. The open air experience between the Targa and a true vert was night and day.

So when I ordered my C7, it was not only a vert but with the bonus of single button/fob powered operation - means top-down driving most of the time.

To me, a ME with a 488 Spider-style retractable top would not be exactly the same as the complete open-air C7 vert experience, but it would be such an elegant solution that I don't think I would complain about the buttresses (C7 verts have mini buttresses anyhoo).

IMHO, a Corvette ME in lighter-weight, lower-cost, fixed-roof/fastback form would be the first model - and the retractable-roof, flat-deck Spider (Manta?) would be the second version. Works for Ferrari - and would cover the needs of the vast majority of potential buyers.

I think the Targa goes away for the ME.

Bikerjulio 05-21-2018 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by tomlink (Post 1597245216)
IMHO, a Corvette ME in lighter-weight, lower-cost, fixed-roof/fastback form would be the first model - and the retractable-roof, flat deck Spider (Manta?) would be the second version. Works for Ferrari - and would cover the needs of the vast majority of potential buyers.

I have a convertible now and would really prefer my C8 to be one too. And since I'm in the early group of buyers I'd really want the convertible to be available with the initial run. So if anyone from GM is reading this - please can I have a convertible right away? Thanks. :thumbs:

elegant 05-21-2018 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks tomlink for your well written, well reasoned thread. I had forgotten that our C7’s already have mini-buttresses.

pietro c7 05-21-2018 03:13 PM

All of the spy pictures so far of the coupe have shown a targa top.
The rear targa line seems to be a few inches forward of the B piller.A few forum members made reference to the “trans am “ t-tops,as an example,when they are removed.
The reason is obviously storage space.
I’m sure it will still look fantastic when top is removed.

pietro c7 05-21-2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio (Post 1597245330)
I have a convertible now and would really prefer my C8 to be one too. And since I'm in the early group of buyers I'd really want the convertible to be available with the initial run. So if anyone from GM is reading this - please can I have a convertible right away? Thanks. :thumbs:

The last time around with the C7 spy pictures in 2012 ,
the coupe and convertible weren’t testing at the same time..,
Theres hope that the debut at the same time.

On the other hand ,I’d expect a bigger price difference between hardtop convertible and coupe(it’s presently roughly 4K )

Kevova 05-21-2018 03:30 PM

You know it will have a some kind of open roof. Because of the after thought engineering that went into the c4. The successors were designed as verts with added roof. I don't see that concept changing.

elegant 05-21-2018 04:06 PM

Perhaps the ME going to full sized buttresses would allow HT convertibles to run on tracks? Someone here can fill in the answer to that.

NewYuriCity 05-21-2018 04:14 PM

Based on the spy photos it looks like there is a seam for the roof to be removable on the fastback coupe version similar to the buttresses convertible version. As others have said on this forum I believe the Corvette doesn't need certain safety testing with a removable roof panel, which if true would make sense to continue to perpetuate this tradition in the mid-engine car with the roof panel stored in the "frunk" either in one piece ala Koenigsegg or in two separate pieces akin to the Porsche 918 Spyder: