CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Why Do C7 Coupes Out Sell Verts By Big Margin? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4142539-why-do-c7-coupes-out-sell-verts-by-big-margin.html)

C5_ 05-23-2018 12:17 AM

Why Do C7 Coupes Out Sell Verts By Big Margin?

I'm in the market for a new C7 Grand Sport.

I like the idea of a convertible but it bothers me that there is a much larger number of coupes sold than convertibles.

What am I missing?

Steve_R 05-23-2018 12:20 AM

Various reasons, some valid, some not. I traded a C6 coupe for a C7 vert in 2014. I MUCH prefer the vert to the coupe now.

Foosh 05-23-2018 12:20 AM

Most people have bad taste? Buy what YOU like. I wouldn't own a C7 that wasn't a convertible.

Guard Dad 05-23-2018 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by C5_ (Post 1597256687)
I'm in the market for a new C7 Grand Sport.

I like the idea of a convertible but it bothers me that there is a much larger number of coupes sold than convertibles.

What am I missing?

The coupe has a targa roof, the convertible costs more and has no roll over protection, those are the three obvious answers.

I love the lines and the convenience of the power top of the verts but I’ve been in a near roll over accident and that has taken a vert off the table for me.

ExRedRacer 05-23-2018 12:29 AM

Why are you allowing what others buy to influence your decision?

For myself, I like having a closed coupe and the option of opening it up to the sky with the top stowed in the back on nice sunny days.

Best of both worlds...a compromise, sure. But that’s what I like.

owc6 05-23-2018 12:33 AM

One of many reasons is that dealers order more coupes (they assume they will sell better) for their lots, and the vast majority of Corvettes (as are all cars) are bought off the lot, not special ordered. Verts are much more expensive, as well, which figures into dealers' orders.

It's sort of a self-fullfilling prophecy. Dealers order what they "think" buyers want. Buyers buy what is available. The same goes for any option such as color, nav, trim level, etc...

All one would have to do is create a poll to find out how many bought cars that weren't really what they wanted in a perfect world. Some buy a a higher or lower trim, some settle for a less than desirable color. I bet a lot would have ordered something at least a little different than what they bought off the lot.

I know I did when I bought my Z06, but the deal was just too good to pass up (it cost less than my '05 Vert), so I settled for a VR 2LZ.

PatternDayTrader 05-23-2018 12:41 AM

Convertibles inevitably end up leaking water.

Steve_R 05-23-2018 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1597256747)

And coupes with removable tops never do. :lol:

New convertibles aren’t like older ones. They don’t leak.

owc6 05-23-2018 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1597256747)

Huh?

I have 1/3 of a million miles on Verts, and have not seen a leak, yet.

PatternDayTrader 05-23-2018 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1597256754)
And coupes with removable tops never do. :lol:

New convertibles aren’t like older ones. They don’t leak.

​​​​​​​Coupes are less likely to leak, but the more you remove the top then the more likely they are to start. As far as the new ones not being like the old ones, eventually the new ones will be the old ones and will start leaking.

fugly1 05-23-2018 01:18 AM

I might be a little weird, but I don't like being exposed in a car. I keep my dark tinted windows rolled up on my coupe.

And coupes do look awesome.

owc6 05-23-2018 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by fugly1 (Post 1597256812)
I might be a little weird, but I don't like being exposed in a car. I keep my dark tinted windows rolled up on my coupe.

Given your username, I can see that reasoning.

:leaving:

fugly1 05-23-2018 01:25 AM

It's all coming together now, isn't it? ;-)

LeManscoupe05 05-23-2018 01:29 AM

Verts look great with the top down. Top up not so much. My 02 cents. At the end of the day but what makes you happy.

Motors5 05-23-2018 01:30 AM

I would not like to visit a track day with the Vert due to reasons stated above by others! As a cruiser, fine. I have to admit that with the roof down it looks fantastic but with the roof up it looks really bad. However the coupe with roof off and windows down is not far from a vert with wind deflector behind the seats in terms of driver feeling.

//Motors5

JerryU 05-23-2018 01:37 AM

Have had 5 coupes. Would not have a Vert if the price were the same (or less.) It's my DD, hauls lots of "stuff," including DIY project materials, groceries, deliveries to FedEx etc!

Recently had to buy a lockable mailbox with post for our dam rebuild project. It is needed to satisfy a DHEC requirement of having weekly engineering test reports, daily rain gauge measurements etc at the sight and available for review on demand or they shut you down! Measured and could fit a 5 1/2 foot post (with closed hatch) so had one cut at Lowes! Delivered to the contractor and said using my "Corvette Pickup!" :lol:

Recall when we were having our house built taking 8 foot 2x4's in my '93 with hatch open and tied with bungie cord! Blankets over bumper and console kept all scratch free!

I seldom have the roof off, very happy to look out the window and have folks look at me through OEM tinted windows!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b24b20f224.jpg

NOT MINE! First C7 I saw in person in August 2013 many months after I ordered before production started.. It was an IVER at Laguna Seca. This fellow drove from one C7 intro display with ~10 others that were there. Tadge and others were at the those Vintage Races.

Holds a lot!

fugly1 05-23-2018 01:40 AM

Verts are for the beautiful people.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5ae06491f7.jpg

Like wearing a thong at the beach.

I will say, though, that at spring mountain, the other vette owners made me look like a friggin' model.....

Kent1999 05-23-2018 02:32 AM

I just plain don’t like convertibles, and much prefer coupes.

Yes, I have owned a few convertibles — they didn’t do anything for me and I soon sold them off.

I can see why people like the looks (I think GM did an especially good job on the C7 vert vs. the C6 vert ) but it’s just not my thing.

Kevin A Jones 05-23-2018 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1597256773)
​​​​​​​Coupes are less likely to leak, but the more you remove the top then the more likely they are to start. As far as the new ones not being like the old ones, eventually the new ones will be the old ones and will start leaking.

That's totally false. In addition, it's not about the top being new or old, it's about the design and engineering.

Next, I'm expecting to hear 'too much wind noise', 'they stay too cold or hot', 'they rattle', 'no storage space' and other BS from those who have never ridden in or even examined a C7 convertible top.

Originally Posted by Kent1999 (Post 1597256895)
I just plain don’t like convertibles, and much prefer coupes.
Yes, I have owned a few convertibles — they didn’t do anything for me and I soon sold them off.
I can see why people like the looks (I think GM did an especially good job on the C7 vert vs. the C6 vert ) but it’s just not my thing.

Now that's a good reason not to purchase a convertible.

Originally Posted by owc6 (Post 1597256730)
One of many reasons is that dealers order more coupes (they assume they will sell better) for their lots, and the vast majority of Corvettes (as are all cars) are bought off the lot, not special ordered. Verts are much more expensive, as well, which figures into dealers' orders.

Exactly, if you've ever been in the market for a C7 convertible you know they are not that easy to find, especially if looking for specific color and features.

SilverGhost 05-23-2018 03:47 AM

June 1967. A boy is taken to a theater to watch 4 hours and 26 minutes of the greatest racing movie ever made - Grand Prix. Every detail i've read about the movie since continues to bolster it's incredible creation. And every race in that movie was filmed with open top race cars. i fell in love that day with open top cars, though it would be seven more years before i got my first car, a convertible. And my love for them continues to this day. No, i don't play "grand prix" in my verts, but every time i drive them, top down of course, i relive one of the greatest moments of my life, seeing that movie. You can't buy a nine year-old's memories like this, only enjoy them. i do, and a vert is very much a part of it.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e2330d50cb.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6417543aa9.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...da7ccbc8ba.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...423b6d04be.jpg