CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Age related attitude (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4143835-age-related-attitude.html)

65air_coupe 05-25-2018 10:12 PM

Age related attitude

As you get older, do you find yourself doing some tasks with the attitude that it's the last time you'll do that thing?

For example when I was preparing to install the RS600 I didn't want to bother fabricating a removable crossmember because I was installing this tranny once and then driving the car until the wheels fell off or I was simply too old to do it anymore. Six months later I'm pulling it back out to correct a problem with it occasionally sliding out of fifth.

When I was a young hotrodder, I never tightened my mufflers clamps so tight that I couldn't separate the parts without a cutting torch. But this time as I put new exhaust pipes and mufflers along with the RS600, I seriously clamped the new off-road mufflers to the new pipes figuring they'd outlast me! So what did I do today - right, had to remove the mufflers to replace the rusty fuel tank!

What next?

LT1driver 05-25-2018 10:27 PM

for me Nope, it never enters my mind

Robert61 05-25-2018 10:30 PM

I've been on borrowed time for 9 years now so every day is a bonus for me. I always think this is the last time I'll do this or do that. In the next few weeks we'll be starting on a model A coupe for a friends wife. I'll be fabbing the chassis from a kit but we will be adding an extra C4 rear axle I had. The engine will be a flathead fully done in front of a 4L60. I'm sure it will be a fun project.

rayvaflav 05-25-2018 10:34 PM

I really, truly enjoy doing automotive electrical work, I never cut corners and frankly, I am probably far more cautious than I need to be. Once I had the dash out on the '66 I decided to "rejuvenate" the original harness in the car, using the three additional used dash harnesses that I amassed over the years. While pulling out that stiff-ass old harness … "Pop, crack, zing, woof !" …. I don't want to ever do this again. I purchased all new, all supple and all wildly flexible wiring harnesses for the whole car. I would post a photo of the car's Z-bar but I fear that it might not be visible, the flat and bare spots in that original wiring harness has caused me to protectively wrap any potential for a metal to wire grounding issue. That Z-bar is now so well insulated, and so damn puffy …

Ray

ChattanoogaJSB 05-25-2018 10:35 PM

At my age I’m still doing new jobs you guys learned before I was born! It’s humbling. The resources on the forum from sonmucb collective experiences are invaluable.

Benton

vettepoor 05-25-2018 10:54 PM

At my age, I’m hoping it is the LAST time I have to do certain jobs! I recall pulling the tranny out of my 63 about 12 years ago, on my back, and thinking how much heavier that Muncie was than the previous time I pulled one out. :willy: The mind tends to write paychecks our bodies can’t cash when we “mature”. :ack:

KC John 05-25-2018 11:21 PM

When I replaced my engine last year in my '63 I made my cross member removable. I'm just about positive now that I've done that, I'll never have to drop the tranny again as long as I live. I guess the next guy will have it easier when he has to do it.

LT1driver 05-25-2018 11:51 PM

you are so right Vettepoor, but I keep on cashing them,, lol

Frankie the Fink 05-26-2018 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe (Post 1597276683)
As you get older, do you find yourself doing some tasks with the attitude that it's the last time you'll do that thing?

For example when I was preparing to install the RS600 I didn't want to bother fabricating a removable crossmember because I was installing this tranny once and then driving the car until the wheels fell off or I was simply too old to do it anymore. Six months later I'm pulling it back out to correct a problem with it occasionally sliding out of fifth.

When I was a young hotrodder, I never tightened my mufflers clamps so tight that I couldn't separate the parts without a cutting torch. But this time as I put new exhaust pipes and mufflers along with the RS600, I seriously clamped the new off-road mufflers to the new pipes figuring they'd outlast me! So what did I do today - right, had to remove the mufflers to replace the rusty fuel tank!

What next?

Some things I don't want to do or learn for a job I'll only do once (installing a convertible top for instance).
Some jobs I refuse to do because age can make it difficult or dangerous - like removing a transmission.

The former could be laziness; the latter -- smart...

Other stuff - heck yeah I've done it more than once. I never thought I'd have my coupe doors off and apart more than once and its been 3 or 4 times now IIRC...

Kerrmudgeon 05-26-2018 06:05 AM

One thing I do a lot more now is overthinking every job I have to do, to the point of not starting them in a timely fashion, but rather sitting there planning every part of the job first. When I was a kid I'd dive right in and learn as I go. :confused2:

wmf62 05-26-2018 06:09 AM

yesterday I replaced the front pads/rotors on the Sierra p/u; couldn't lift the wheel/tire to put it back on...

most dreaded job (and successfully procrastinated) is replacing the windshield in the 62....

Bill

Frankie the Fink 05-26-2018 06:11 AM

The young bull standing alongside the old bull on the hilltop gazing at the cattle herd says, "....let's run down into the valley and mate with one of those cows!"

The old bull replies, "....let's walk down and mate with all of them."

wmf62 05-26-2018 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1597277487)
The young bull standing alongside the old bull on the hilltop gazing at the cattle herd says, "....let's run down into the valley and mate with one of those cows!"

The old bull replies, "....let's walk down and mate with all of them."

I wish I could 'mate' with just one.... (not bovine or other 4-legged species related...)
:sad:
Bill

RatDog 05-26-2018 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1597277478)
One thing I do a lot more now is overthinking every job I have to do, to the point of not starting them in a timely fashion, but rather sitting there planning every part of the job first. When I was a kid I'd dive right in and learn as I go. :confused2:

I’m with you on that one. At 72, I figure if I put it off long enough, I won’t have to do it at all.

The good news is the difficult decision of whether to take the Publisher’s Clearing House payoff as a lump sum or doled out over my lifetime has become much easier to make.

Steve

Frankie the Fink 05-26-2018 06:38 AM

At 67 I take a baby aspirin and multi-vitamin each morning - that's it for medications.

I'll be in the garage this morning putting a new work bench together and changing the oil in the jet ski for the season....
I look at some others my age and I'm thankful as all creation...

wmf62 05-26-2018 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by RatDog (Post 1597277514)
I’m with you on that one. At 72, I figure if I put it off long enough, I won’t have to do it at all.

The good news is the difficult decision of whether to take the Publisher’s Clearing House payoff as a lump sum or doled out over my lifetime has become much easier to make.

Steve

Steve

i'm with you... (figuratively..)

Bill

DansYellow66 05-26-2018 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe (Post 1597276683)

To some degree I'm guilty of this. I built a M22W transmission last summer and installed it with all new clutch/flywheel components and it crossed my mine more than once that this is probably the last time I'll be pulling and replacing this thing.

I still toy with pulling the motor and rebuilding it back to something closer to a stock L72 but I'm not sure it will happen under my watch. Maybe?

kellsdad 05-26-2018 07:03 AM

"As you get older, do you find yourself doing some tasks with the attitude that it's the last time you'll do that thing?"

Absolutely! Not with the Corvette in particular but with life in general. It began while I was fixing some shingles on the steep roof of my home after a storm. I was in my mid-50s at the time and I made myself a promise. I will not go on a steep roof after age 60 even if I still think I can handle it when the time comes. The likelihood and consequences of a fall get too high to let my ego and wallet make that decision. Later, I wrote a short story that included a scene where a 75 year old man was watching a team of professional roofers put a new roof on his house. A neighbor noted the old man's apparent joy in watching the workers. "I always hated having a new roof put on," said the neighbor. "They tear up the yard and leave debris and nails everywhere. Why are you so happy?"

The old man looked at the neighbor and said, "I'm so old I'll never have to do this again." then he smiled.

wmf62 05-26-2018 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by kellsdad (Post 1597277586)
"As you get older, do you find yourself doing some tasks with the attitude that it's the last time you'll do that thing?"

Absolutely! Not with the Corvette in particular but with life in general. It began while I was fixing some shingles on the steep roof of my home after a storm. I was in my mid-50s at the time and I made myself a promise. I will not go on a steep roof after age 60 even if I still think I can handle it when the time comes. The likelihood and consequences of a fall get too high to let my ego and wallet make that decision. Later, I wrote a short story that included a scene where a 75 year old man was watching a team of professional roofers put a new roof on his house. A neighbor noted the old man's apparent joy in watching the workers. "I always hated having a new roof put on," said the neighbor. "They tear up the yard and leave debris and nails everywhere. Why are you so happy?"

The old man looked at the neighbor and said, "I'm so old I'll never have to do this again." then he smiled.

amen... just went through this myself

Bill

corvetteed 05-26-2018 07:31 AM

When I was in my 50's, I watched as a 72 y/o was on my roof w/his son doing a roof install for me, and thinking to myself, wow, he's pretty old to be doing that. But, yesterday, I was on the roof of the garage doing some work, and in a few days I'll be 72, and I remember him, and now was thinking to myself, I'm not so old that I can't still do this stuff. I still do all kinds of stuff I didn't think I'd do when I got old. But, I guess I don't think I'm old yet.

I do remember my father-in-law saying what you're saying, when he was in his early 70's. He didn't make it past 75. So, maybe there is a self fulfilling prophecy at work. Who knows??:thumbs: