CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Original gas tank - keep or toss? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4144363-original-gas-tank-keep-or-toss.html)

65air_coupe 05-27-2018 12:32 PM

Original gas tank - keep or toss?

My car is close to stock but I've kept most everything I've taken off of it over the last 40 years and am now replacing the original and rusty fuel tank with an aftermarket (non-logo) tank from Zip. I can't see any strong reason to keep the old tank, especially considering it's size so am inclined to toss it. Any valid reason to keep it?

fla-buckeye 05-27-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe (Post 1597283919)
My car is close to stock but I've kept most everything I've taken off of it over the last 40 years and am now replacing the original and rusty fuel tank with an aftermarket (non-logo) tank from Zip. I can't see any strong reason to keep the old tank, especially considering it's size so am inclined to toss it. Any valid reason to keep it?

None at all!

Swept57 05-27-2018 01:15 PM

Stuff like that I put on Craigslist once. More to give someone a shot at it if they could use it more than any money I receive. If it is still sealable, someone might want it. I have seen some really nasty tanks made serviceable again.

phil2302 05-27-2018 01:35 PM

There are various products to reseal / line a tank. Personally i have never done it to a car fuel tank but have done many motorcycle tanks with good results. Granted these MC tanks were hard to find and or expensive and a c2 tank is easy to get.

Nowhere Man 05-27-2018 01:44 PM

A brand new 100% correct tank is around 200 bucks there is absolutely no reason to try and save a 50 year old tank

Frankie the Fink 05-27-2018 01:47 PM

Unless you have a '67 tank with the build sticker on it. Then, many save the whole tank, rather than risk taking the sticker off. I've actually seen cars go across the block at Mecum with the original, uninstalled tank festooned with the sticker as part of the package...

65air_coupe 05-28-2018 11:37 AM

FWIW, I had this tank cleaned out and coated 20 years ago. In the end it wasn't worth it, not that it was expensive but I've been plagued with debris from the tank for years now. If it's rusty, replace it!

Swept57 05-28-2018 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe (Post 1597289452)
FWIW, I had this tank cleaned out and coated 20 years ago. In the end it wasn't worth it, not that it was expensive but I've been plagued with debris from the tank for years now. If it's rusty, replace it!

I had my 62 Dart gas tank sealed. At the time there were no replacements available. I can't remember where I took it, but they cut two flaps in the top, sandblasted inside and out, welded the holes closed, dipped entire tank in some epoxy goop, then baked in an oven. Of course it didn't look stock, but functionally it was perfect and could be dipped in salt water without rusting.

warrenmj 05-28-2018 03:19 PM

My opinion is rusty gas tank = junk = throw away :D

CorvetteMikeB 06-09-2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe (Post 1597283919)

Toss it out! We don't want old rust in the gas lines leaving you stranded on the road in the middle of nowhere.

Larry P 06-10-2018 09:21 PM

It is one of the most inexpensive things in life that will help you sleep better. No reason not to replace it.
Larry