CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Lost to a Tesla (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4145461-lost-to-a-tesla.html)

C6Velocity 05-29-2018 09:53 PM

Lost to a Tesla

I have a yellow C7 Z51 M7, black wheels, red calipers. Sticks out in the crowd of nondescript white, gray and black cars.

Wasn't looking for a race, but saw a silver Tesla Model S in my rear view maneuvering to get in the lane next to me. Stopped at a red light and after moving over 2 lanes he was next to me. I didn't look at him, but told my wife he wants to race. In the old days, he would have revved his engine but of course his car was silent. My wife said don't do it, but you know I had to. Looked around to make sure it was clear. Everything looked good. Watched the traffic light for the other direction and waited for the change. Light changed and we took off.

I didn't have a chance. He must have had ludicrous mode turned on and he blew me silently away. (I've driven a Tesla in ludicrous mode and it is breathtaking.)

Oh well. Knew I didn't have a chance but gave it the best I could as I waved to him while he watched in his rear view (I'm guessing he was watching).

My wife was more depressed than I was. I knew what to expect - she didn't.

Maybe next time (or not).

bigblock427 05-29-2018 09:59 PM

I would have expected that outcome.:yesnod:

Jeffthunbird 05-29-2018 10:03 PM

You would win on a track, after his wires melt!

SilverScorp 05-29-2018 10:10 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. As soon as he finishes his single run..he will be looking hard for a electric charger somewhere. Ask him if he wants to immediately 'go again' and see what happens.

ExRedRacer 05-29-2018 10:26 PM

I’m confused. The photo you show is of a C6 and your sig mentions a C6. Time to update your info?

Dcasole 05-29-2018 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by SilverScorp (Post 1597300358)
I wouldn't worry about it. As soon as he finishes his single run..he will be looking hard for a electric charger somewhere. Ask him if he wants to immediately 'go again' and see what happens.

The same thing will happen the second , third , fourth ......they use only 2% charge after each run ....

Dave

C6Velocity 05-29-2018 10:37 PM

I was told by the moderator that it was difficult to change my name and sig and I would have to create a new profile. I chose to keep my old C6 profile. Rest assured I now have a 2017 C7.
Sorry about the confusion.

Jeff V. 05-29-2018 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by C6Velocity (Post 1597300509)
I was told by the moderator that it was difficult to change my name and sig and I would have to create a new profile. I chose to keep my old C6 profile. Rest assured I now have a 2017 C7.

User CP > Edit Signature

Easy.

The name is a different problem though.

JerriVette 05-29-2018 10:42 PM

Electric supercars from tesla and jaguar will make this racing scenario a lot more common...on a highway roll or stop light...

Track times are hampered by heating up batteries where the computer shuts down performance mode after one lap if that...

Eventually that will change too...and when it does..

We will all be dinosaurs

robert miller 05-29-2018 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff V. (Post 1597300526)
User CP > Edit Signature

Easy.

The name is a different problem though.

:iagree: Just cant chg your name in here but the pic you can for sure. Robert

Motors5 05-29-2018 11:40 PM

You can take comfort in that it will run out of juice after a few laps on a track day! It will also quickly lose power since batteries will be overheated and you cannot run ludicrous mode for more than a short sprint. You refuel and continue with the same performance!

//Motors5

ExRedRacer 05-29-2018 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by C6Velocity (Post 1597300509)

You must have corresponded with the wrong moderator.

Send a private message to one of the head moderators, maybe Savewave, and just ask them to change your name to what suits you now. To change your sig, just go to user CP, scroll down to Edit Signature, and make those changes.

Piece of cake.

evoroadster 05-29-2018 11:55 PM

Hmmm...588hp being put down to all 4 wheels with max torque at 0 rpm. Of course he/she blew you away.

Guard Dad 05-30-2018 12:15 AM

We’ve got a Model S 100D (I’m between Grand Sports at the moment) so it’s about a 3.6 second 0-60 car. Super consistent and no traction issues whatsoever. So against a C7 LT1 it’s pretty much a dead heat to 60 mph with the edge to the Tesla S 100D, after that it’s all C7. The Model S P100D is pretty much unbeatable in a 0-60 dash and very strong through the 1/4 mile. Where every Tesla excels is in it’s near instantaneous response to the accelerator pedal. You are playing the Tesla’s game in 10-15 mph roll-on shot up to 60 or 70 mph. On anything other than a perfect surface with a perfect launch the Tesla’s all wheel drive will walk away from the LT1. The Tesla is not a track car to be sure but it is impressive to drive. FYI.

Maxie2U 05-30-2018 12:16 AM

Unlike gas engines electronic cars instantaneously develop 100% of its torque the moment they apply full power.

Guard Dad 05-30-2018 12:18 AM

Forgot to mention, some P100D owners shave some or all of the P100D identifier so you may not know what you are up against. You have been warned,

Grzldvt1 05-30-2018 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Guard Dad (Post 1597300948)
Forgot to mention, some P100D owners shave some or all of the P100D identifier so you may not know what you are up against. You have been warned,

:iagree::iagree: At my detail shop, I cannot remember how many 100D tags I have removed.

sunsalem 05-30-2018 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by C6Velocity (Post 1597300240)

I didn't have a chance. He must have had ludicrous mode turned on and he blew me silently away. (I've driven a Tesla in ludicrous mode and it is breathtaking.)

Oh well. Knew I didn't have a chance but gave it the best I could as I waved to him while he watched in his rear view (I'm guessing he was watching).

My wife was more depressed than I was. I knew what to expect - she didn't.

Maybe next time (or not).

No need to be "depressed.":thumbs:

There are some models of Teslas that will crush almost every car on the planet in 0-60.
There is a good reason for this....
Take a look at the specs.
According to Road & Track's dyno pull, Model P100D dyno'd at 588 horsepower and 920 lb-ft of torque at the wheels.
But they admitted it was probably more because of traction problems with their dyno trying to measure an electric car.
This resulted in Motor Trend measuring 2.28s to 60mph.
That is quick no matter WHAT vehicle you're talking about.

sunsalem 05-30-2018 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Motors5 (Post 1597300807)
You can take comfort in that it will run out of juice after a few laps on a track day! It will also quickly lose power since batteries will be overheated and you cannot run ludicrous mode for more than a short sprint. You refuel and continue with the same performance!

//Motors5

It's a SEDAN...that weighs just a bit less than 5,000lbs.
OF COURSE, it's not a track car...sheesh.

We should be proud it is an American designed and built vehicle!:thumbs:

3 Z06ZR1 05-30-2018 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dcasole (Post 1597300508)
The same thing will happen the second , third , fourth ......they use only 2% charge after each run ....

Dave

yea right! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: