CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   89 Won't Idle - Should I buy as is? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4150360-89-wont-idle-should-i-buy-as-is.html)

woodcrest 06-10-2018 08:12 PM

89 Won't Idle - Should I buy as is?

I am looking at an 89 that has been sitting probably a couple of years.
Engine starts, but won't idle, engine stops when foot taken off pedal.
May buy as is.
Where should I look first?
Take a chance?

playsdixie 06-10-2018 09:35 PM

You didn't say how much....issues you stated could be overcome with a tune-up and idle adjustment...how ever, wouldn't hurt to have someone who knows L98's look at it....can be lots of work restoring her to her original condition.....older c4's are 4-5 grand, a little more for newer years....:lurk:

woodcrest 06-10-2018 09:44 PM

Buying for 4500, perhaps 4000, essentially from original owner, 2nd owner did not do much with it, also all 4 tires look new, new battery, 110,000 miles

woodcrest 06-10-2018 09:45 PM

also it is a convertible with 6 speed manual (ideal combination for good resale?)

Kevova 06-10-2018 09:57 PM

If you have the ability and means to fix up car yourself, it maybe a ok deal. If you're having to pay maybe not.

aklim 06-10-2018 10:32 PM

Have you considered getting a Pre Delivery Inspection done at some dealership that knows C4 Corvettes and has the right tools to test everything like a Tech 1 scanner? Maybe a Tech 2 can also work? I haven't tried it yet. A PDI will give you an indication of what is wrong and you can ask how much it will take to make it right. That will aid you in the decision of what to offer.

jv9999 06-10-2018 11:04 PM

If it has two year old gas in it, it definitely won't run well.

AgentEran 06-11-2018 01:35 AM

For 4500 you can get one that runs

Paul Workman 06-11-2018 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597380030)
Have you considered getting a Pre Delivery Inspection done at some dealership that knows C4 Corvettes and has the right tools to test everything like a Tech 1 scanner? Maybe a Tech 2 can also work? I haven't tried it yet. A PDI will give you an indication of what is wrong and you can ask how much it will take to make it right. That will aid you in the decision of what to offer.

:iagree:

$4500 LESS what it takes to fix whatever turns up.:yesnod:

playsdixie 06-11-2018 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by AgentEran (Post 1597380617)
For 4500 you can get one that runs

:iagree:

Just maintaining a c 4 can be expensive..unless you're mechanically minded and have tools, better to start with one that runs....or give him 2500 break out the sweat...:D

CVG323 06-11-2018 03:28 PM

looks like you purchased it.
did you get it to run good?

woodcrest 06-12-2018 02:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, idles now, owner replaced air cleaner, changed oil and filter,,,,,but now billows of smoke....but mobile mechanic says its the bad gas, not a oil burner....maybe a bit through the valve stems, but that should clear.
Two questions.....ok...three
1. Is the smoke bad gas in your opinion? (smells like bad gas)
2. What does it take to drop the gas tank? (should be drained, not just refilled?)
3. Far price, noting the risk I am taking? seems to be a solid car in all other aspects...yes?
See attachments

hcbph 06-12-2018 08:41 AM

Never pulled a tank but looks to be a bear because of having to remove the rear bumper. Looks easier to remove the filler and siphon the tank dry.

Paul Workman 06-12-2018 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by woodcrest (Post 1597387973)
OK, idles now, owner replaced air cleaner, changed oil and filter,,,,,but now billows of smoke....but mobile mechanic says its the bad gas, not a oil burner....maybe a bit through the valve stems, but that should clear.
Two questions.....ok...three
1. Is the smoke bad gas in your opinion? (smells like bad gas)
2. What does it take to drop the gas tank? (should be drained, not just refilled?)
3. Far price, noting the risk I am taking? seems to be a solid car in all other aspects...yes?
See attachments

"Bad gas", my ASS! I've run cars that have sat outside w/o running for 7 years and the fired up and ran and idles OK as long as water hadn't condensed in the tank. So, I declare :bs on the "bad gas" explanation. :toetap:

There are a host of reasons why there might be a gasoline smell having nothing to do with the smoke (water vapor), e.g., water condensation collected in the exhaust (will disappear in 5 min or so), head gasket leak, to name a couple.

Oil smoke is blueish and is slow to dissipate. Gas (running very rich) is black. Water (antifreeze) is whitish and dissipates quickly in the air - unlike real smoke (e.g., oil or gasoline smoke).

And, how did the idle get "fixed"? Did someone twist the idle air screw and call it good?:toetap:

I'm not trying to be painting a dark picture, but I've fussed with cars since I was a teen, and now am nearly 70. Tho I'm not too old to learn new stuff, but "BAD GAS" is often a catch-all for something else more serious (and the salesman doesn't want to admit to it, or consider it).

If you already bought it, at the very least I'd be inspecting the spark plugs. Are they gasoline or oil fouled, or are one/some "steam cleaned" (as in water/coolant).

Can you or someone handy scan it for codes? (That would be interesting to see...)

:lurk:

woodcrest 06-12-2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by hcbph (Post 1597388741)
Never pulled a tank but looks to be a bear because of having to remove the rear bumper. Looks easier to remove the filler and siphon the tank dry.

The gas gage is on reserve, maybe simply run it until the tank is empty?

84 4+3 06-12-2018 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by woodcrest (Post 1597390090)

If yours is like mine, reserve means get gas now because you're about to run out stupid. I had my reserve come on in my driveway... 3 miles to the nearest gas station and she was bucking pulling into it...

65Z01 06-12-2018 01:26 PM

...but mobile mechanic says its the bad gas, not a oil burner....
What is fuel pressure cold/hot?
You could check cylinder compression values and leak down rates.

My prior '88 had 90k miles on the clock and rather low fuel pressure. The oil would get dark before an oil change.

The current '88 with ~50k miles runs ~40-45lbs idle oil pressure and 50-60lbs on highway, with clean oil at change time.

woodcrest 06-12-2018 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 1597388785)
"Bad gas", my ASS! I've run cars that have sat outside w/o running for 7 years and the fired up and ran and idles OK as long as water hadn't condensed in the tank. So, I declare :bs on the "bad gas" explanation. :toetap:

There are a host of reasons why there might be a gasoline smell having nothing to do with the smoke (water vapor), e.g., water condensation collected in the exhaust (will disappear in 5 min or so), head gasket leak, to name a couple.

Oil smoke is blueish and is slow to dissipate. Gas (running very rich) is black. Water (antifreeze) is whitish and dissipates quickly in the air - unlike real smoke (e.g., oil or gasoline smoke).

And, how did the idle get "fixed"? Did someone twist the idle air screw and call it good?:toetap:

I'm not trying to be painting a dark picture, but I've fussed with cars since I was a teen, and now am nearly 70. Tho I'm not too old to learn new stuff, but "BAD GAS" is often a catch-all for something else more serious (and the salesman doesn't want to admit to it, or consider it).

If you already bought it, at the very least I'd be inspecting the spark plugs. Are they gasoline or oil fouled, or are one/some "steam cleaned" (as in water/coolant).

Can you or someone handy scan it for codes? (That would be interesting to see...)

From what I know water in the engine is almost (exclusively?) always due to overheating. The owner said they parked it an it sat. It did pass smog back in December of last year. CAn an engine get water in it from just sitting? Thanks. I am think of offering half what they are asking...2500....but then again if someone else buys it, I will not lose any sleep.

CVG323 06-12-2018 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by woodcrest (Post 1597390090)

sent you a PM.

woodcrest 06-12-2018 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 1597388785)

Oh, also, it started to idle properly without any adjustments...just had to have a bit of time running...