CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   How not to enter a hot track (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4151272-how-not-to-enter-a-hot-track.html)

Poor-sha 06-12-2018 09:07 PM

How not to enter a hot track

I figured I'd share this little tidbit from the track today. A Miata decided to come out of pit lane right over to the middle of the track. I had to lock up the brakes to not hit him.

RSbeast 06-12-2018 11:26 PM

Dear god my brakes suck. I can’t be watching these new Z videos.

as a Miata owner you’d have to have a deathwish pulling out into 150mph traffic.

Quickshift_C5 06-12-2018 11:39 PM

Ouch, that's a quick way to cause some horrific damage. Or, at the very least...a quick way to get the boot from the track day.

I imagine the track day organizers saw it or were notified? What was the outcome?

bellwilliam 06-13-2018 01:39 AM

1:35 mark....

tw78911sc 06-13-2018 01:40 AM

That was on the instructor.He was there and never bothered to tell him to stay right and check mirrors. I went by a guy at over 150 mph when a guy started to blend into the line going 50 tops. I went to him after the session and asked if he even saw me? He said no and it scared the death out of him. Why they are called DE events, it gets better in the higher run groups but they have there share of knuckle heads but with egos now. Good job avoiding a bad situation. Probably does the same thing on the interstate merging as well.

Iconic 06-13-2018 02:04 AM

That is just like Road America - Same side blend, entering into traffic that is doing 150 and the fastest part of the track. Every drivers meeting with every organization has always stressed to stay to the right when entering.

Man that was hard to watch. I did chuckle at the point by, lol. Luckily no damage, thanks for posting.

KnightDriveTV 06-13-2018 03:03 AM

At least he gave you a nice point by...lol. Here...let me cross the entire track and point you right...lol. Nothin like monster brakes though....serious.

rocsvette 06-13-2018 08:44 AM

Was this an open session or for a specific run group? Also it seems that more focus is being put on observing blend lines in recent years after some wild experiences at VIR and as your video shows, still happens. Your quick response was good for all involved

argonaut 06-13-2018 08:57 AM

Dang Sean - that was a 'oh shit' moment. Glad you were able to avoid contact. What run group and do you know if the right seat was an instructor or just a ride along?

Control probably should have waited to release him (assuming there was a controller). When instructing I really stress staying right side thru turn one when entering a hot track.

Poor-sha 06-13-2018 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by argonaut (Post 1597395971)
Dang Sean - that was a 'oh shit' moment. Glad you were able to avoid contact. What run group and do you know if the right seat was an instructor or just a ride along?

Control probably should have waited to release him (assuming there was a controller). When instructing I really stress staying right side thru turn one when entering a hot track.

I heard this morning that he had a coach with him.

Originally Posted by rocsvette (Post 1597395905)
Was this an open session or for a specific run group? Also it seems that more focus is being put on observing blend lines in recent years after some wild experiences at VIR and as your video shows, still happens. Your quick response was good for all involved

This was an open track event and everyone there is supposed to be advanced level drivers.

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5 (Post 1597394756)
Ouch, that's a quick way to cause some horrific damage. Or, at the very least...a quick way to get the boot from the track day.

I imagine the track day organizers saw it or were notified? What was the outcome?

When I came in the track marshal stopped me at pit lane to let me know they immediately black flagged the car and gave him a talking to. The track did the right thing here.

KnightDriveTV 06-13-2018 11:18 AM

Change your avatar....I don't wanna look at that Z06 anymore. If I have to live and experience vicariously through your posts and videos, then I need you to change the avatar as well.

village idiot 06-13-2018 01:44 PM

Holy crap. That was close. In a car with incredible braking power.

BTW: Why are in you in sport 1? Still feeling out the ZR1? No brake fade problems ?(assuming they're iron- is that an option on the ZR1)

apex26 06-13-2018 04:00 PM

It's always amazing to listen to organizers implore people to stay right all the way to the corner, and watch people go straight out and violate the instructions. This guy is damn lucky he didn't have the bad fortune to interact with someone just like himself...lol.

Sox-Fan 06-13-2018 04:33 PM

You can be sure this guy enters the freeway and makes a hard left into the left lane before he even reaches the end of the merge zone.

Poor-sha 06-13-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by village idiot
Holy crap. That was close. In a car with incredible braking power.

BTW: Why are in you in sport 1? Still feeling out the ZR1? No brake fade problems ?(assuming they're iron- is that an option on the ZR1)

I had a passenger in the car and didn't want to be like that GM exec :). No brake issues other than wear.

Bill Dearborn 06-13-2018 06:28 PM

When I am in the car with a student I insist on them staying on the correct side of the blend line to avoid issues such as displayed. About 15 years ago two people in a Porsche Carrera GT were killed due to a student ignoring the blend line at a Ferrari Club event in Southern California. Since I read about that incident I have religiously insisted students that I am riding with follow the blend line rules.

Bill

Rx7Rob 06-13-2018 07:09 PM

I always stay right the whole way into T1 and take it off line (I like off-line exercises).

Passenger? What group was running the event? Back in the early 2000's, Todd Serota (original TracQuest) used to allow passengers. It was great being able to get my dad in the passengers seat for a few laps!

NmtMev 06-13-2018 07:27 PM

Lol! This happens to me all the time on the 405fwy...given I'm going 80ish only, in the left lane at that, "slow down and just go far left!" Don't even bother looking...

we should just call it how to not enter any public roadway or track ever.....ever...

cutting to the left going slow AF... give me your licence, let's just cut it up...

ncstingray 06-14-2018 09:58 AM

Don't you just love Summit Main with that new pavement?

I am always overly cautious coming to the pit out blend lines on any track. Advanced level group or not some people just don't have any common sense or a death wish.

Poor-sha 06-14-2018 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ncstingray
Don't you just love Summit Main with that new pavement?

I am always overly cautious coming to the pit out blend lines on any track. Advanced level group or not some people just don't have any common sense or a death wish.

The new pavement is great. I finally broke in to the 1:14's yesterday with the ZR1.