CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Replaced Injectors now car won’t start. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4151436-replaced-injectors-now-car-wonit-start.html)

Tinman28 06-13-2018 10:30 AM

Replaced Injectors now car won’t start.

I’ve read numerous threads on similar situations but I know everyone has different experiences with they’re car. I have a 91 base with the L98 that was running fine until I replaced my injectors. I purchased the refurbed 21lb Bosch III injectors.

i made sure to check and double check the job before I started the car and everything looked ok. It fired right up but the tail pipes had a white smoke billowing out and I could smell gasoline. This happened as the car was at idle. Even after it warmed up it still was smoking like crazy. So I figured maybe let me drive the car around thinking the computer might need to relearn itself. It drove fine but had a slight hesitation at WOT but then felt strong to redline, and no white smoke was visible from the back. I brought the car back home and let it idle in my driveway and again white smoke. So I turned the car off and left it till the next day.

I get in the car the next day and it won’t start. I can hear the starter trying to turn the motor but it won’t and it make a clunk as if the motor locked up. I pulled #1 spark plug and a decent amount of fuel spilled out and I pulled the oil dipstick it smells of gas.

thats as far as I got due to time restraints. I plan on removing all the spark plugs and switching back to original injectors that were on the car.

Im just hoping I didn’t cause any serious damage since there was fuel in the cylinder and the car doesn’t turn over. Could it be a leaking injector? Maybe a bad O2 sensor? Maybe the starter is hung up and I need to give it a few taps? I replaced my battery and is holding power. Any ideas of what I could do next before I try to start the car would be helpful. Thanks -Anthony

383vett 06-13-2018 11:56 AM

It is a leaking injector or injectors. Pull all the plugs, turn the engine over and let the fuel out of the cylinder(s). Change the oil, replace the injectors with the originals. Cross your fingers and hope the car starts and runs ok. You have hydrolocked your motor with fuel. Ugly things could have happened. Like I said cross your fingers and say a few Hail Marys.

Tinman28 06-13-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 383vett (Post 1597397267)
It is a leaking injector or injectors. Pull all the plugs, turn the engine over and let the fuel out of the cylinder(s). Change the oil, replace the injectors with the originals. Cross your fingers and hope the car starts and runs ok. You have hydrolocked your motor with fuel. Ugly things could have happened. Like I said cross your fingers and say a few Hail Marys.

thanks for the reply. I’ll get back to you after. Being that the car didn’t shut down while I was driving makes me think it wasn’t hydrolocking on fuel just yet so maybe I could be lucky. We’ll see.

64Scout 06-13-2018 02:52 PM

I doubt you caused any engine damage just cranking it with the starter. If you had sucked water in while driving, that would be bad.

Joe C 06-13-2018 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tinman28 (Post 1597396628)
I’ve read numerous threads on similar situations but I know everyone has different experiences with they’re car. I have a 91 base with the L98 that was running fine until I replaced my injectors. I purchased the refurbed 21lb Bosch III injectors.

i made sure to check and double check the job before I started the car and everything looked ok. It fired right up but the tail pipes had a white smoke billowing out and I could smell gasoline. This happened as the car was at idle. Even after it warmed up it still was smoking like crazy. So I figured maybe let me drive the car around thinking the computer might need to relearn itself. It drove fine but had a slight hesitation at WOT but then felt strong to redline, and no white smoke was visible from the back. I brought the car back home and let it idle in my driveway and again white smoke. So I turned the car off and left it till the next day.

I get in the car the next day and it won’t start. I can hear the starter trying to turn the motor but it won’t and it make a clunk as if the motor locked up. I pulled #1 spark plug and a decent amount of fuel spilled out and I pulled the oil dipstick it smells of gas.

thats as far as I got due to time restraints. I plan on removing all the spark plugs and switching back to original injectors that were on the car.

Im just hoping I didn’t cause any serious damage since there was fuel in the cylinder and the car doesn’t turn over. Could it be a leaking injector? Maybe a bad O2 sensor? Maybe the starter is hung up and I need to give it a few taps? I replaced my battery and is holding power. Any ideas of what I could do next before I try to start the car would be helpful. Thanks -Anthony

where did you purchase the refurb'd boschIII's?

ctmccloskey 06-13-2018 08:25 PM

If the car is "New" to you or it been yours for some time you should always start with a good O2 sensor. The manufacturers all suggest you replace them at every 50,000 miles. There is also a age limit I have been told. That little sensor is one of the most important sensors in your car. You can check the output of the sensor with a volt ohm meter.

By the way I inject water into my 427 on purpose to keep the ignition under control. Water and Methanol really help engines with high Compression. I have 12.25-1 compression and it likes the fuel as squirting the combination of water and Methanol into my intake gives my gasoline a boost. My system gets the equivalent of 115 octane into a very happy thirsty 427. If you need more you can simply add windshield washer fluid.

One more point, Check the ground connection to the engine. If you have a bad ground or a corroded ground then your engine might not be able to even run. The injectors have 12 volts at the all the time, the injector is fired when the computer sends (Pulls down) out the ground which then completes the circuit. My car had several major ground issues as there are several grounds.

Good Luck at getting this system sorted out!

aklim 06-13-2018 11:14 PM

Are you sure that the fuel pressure regulator isn't throwing gas out the vacuum tube?

Tinman28 06-14-2018 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597402077)
Are you sure that the fuel pressure regulator isn't throwing gas out the vacuum tube?

I checked and it wasn’t.

Originally Posted by Joe C (Post 1597400903)
where did you purchase the refurb'd boschIII's?

eBay seller. I contacted them they’re sending me another set.

Tinman28 06-14-2018 05:04 AM

I got home from work and started working on the car. I pulled all the plugs and uncliped the injector connectors. #1 and #8 spark plugs were gasoline soaked. Fuel spilled out of the #1 cylinder when I took the plug out. I then wanted to try and rotate the motor so I got the breaker bar out and a 5/8 socket. Motor turned freely so I was confident I could turn the motor over with the key in the ignition. I cranked it over and everything was ok. I had my father looking at the #1 spark plug hole and as I was cranking the car over fuel was spitting out of it. Not as much on the #8 spark plug hole.

So I removed everything to get back down to the fuel rail. Pulled the rail out with the injectors still seated up into the rail and to my amaze the #8 injector was dripping fuel. I took it off and blew through it with my mouth and a stream of fuel came out of it. The #1 injector which had the most fuel spilling out of the cylinder wasn’t dripping nor could I blow through it. I don’t know what could be the issue with that injector.

Draining the oil today when I get home. Probably let it sit over night draining and then Friday I’ll put the old injectors back in and refil with oil and start it.

Joe C 06-14-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tinman28 (Post 1597402687)

I checked and it wasn’t.

eBay seller. I contacted them they’re sending me another set.

question - are you sure you got 21 pound injectors? chances of all 8 injectors leaking enough to cause your flooding problems are, IMO, fairly slim. I guess one or two leakers could load up particular cylinders. however, since the injectors are the only way fuel can get into your cylinders, i'd double check the flow rating on those injectors and the fuel pressure. just curious - by any chance, did you screw around with the timing? :rock:

Bfenty 06-14-2018 09:20 AM

Next time go with Jon at FIC-his work is solid

Tinman28 06-14-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bfenty (Post 1597403534)

like everything you get what you pay for it’s just when these sellers say on the ads “flow tested”, “inspected” you trust that they’re doing what they say. I’m thankful I don’t think anything catastrophic happened to the motor but it could have and who’s liable? Sure is he’ll isnt the seller of the part.

aklim 06-14-2018 10:30 AM

I'd return the set and go with FIC

Tinman28 06-14-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597403978)

there’s a few different options with FIC. My car is stock should I just do the Bosch III 22lb?

aklim 06-14-2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tinman28 (Post 1597404071)

there’s a few different options with FIC. My car is stock should I just do the Bosch III 22lb?

I would but call him and ask him to confirm. He would not mind in the least.

Joe C 06-14-2018 12:35 PM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597403978)

Originally Posted by Tinman28 (Post 1597404071)

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1597404088)
I would but call him and ask him to confirm. He would not mind in the least.

Bfenty 06-15-2018 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Joe C (Post 1597405018)

Tinman28 06-16-2018 08:54 PM

Just wanted to say you can close this thread if you’d like. I got the car running today with no issues. Worked on the car until 2am this morning. Replaced all new spark plugs, new O2 sensor and changed oil. The old oil smelled of pure gasoline which was kind of crazy. I also cleaned my old injectors by rigging up the injectors to a battery source and powering them on and off while spraying in carb cleaner. If you look on YouTube there is a video showing you how to do this. Very simple. Put everything back together and started up. I had a little white smoke but it worked it’s way out of the system. Thanks to everyone who responded I appreciate it very much. Take care until next time 😁