CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Do you drive it in the rain??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4155835-do-you-drive-it-in-the-rain.html)

C7s 06-23-2018 09:52 AM

Do you drive it in the rain???

Who drives in the rain and what tires are you running???

ImpliedConsent 06-23-2018 09:54 AM

No.

MikeERWNC 06-23-2018 09:55 AM

It is a plastic car... It is perfect for all weather conditions.

Michelin AS3+

Black18C7 06-23-2018 10:03 AM

Yep.. all the time. Stock Michelin tires

Corgidog1 06-23-2018 10:04 AM

To me its a toy and it just is not fun driving in the rain.

PatternDayTrader 06-23-2018 10:09 AM

I have driven every Corvette I've ever owed in rain. The only downside is that it gets dirty, and the rain will wash dirt into places you cannot get it out from. To that I say who cares, not me.

SnowyATX 06-23-2018 10:18 AM

All the time. It's my daily driver.

bigsapper 06-23-2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06 (Post 1597464222)
All the time. It's my daily driver.

Same, same. Stock MPSS.

I do *not* recommend drag radials, lol.

Gary barnes 1098 06-23-2018 10:22 AM

All the time!! Z51 factory tires. It’s a Chevrolet!!! Don’t keep it rainless for the next guy!! Too much fun,drive it.

Lonegun 06-23-2018 10:24 AM

I daily drive mine in all weather conditions. Stock Michelin rubber. Being a GS (wider tires) need to slow up some due the possible hydroplaning at higher speeds. The rain on the top gets loud, but just turn up the radio. It's not me or the car I worry about in the rain, it's the other idiots on the road..

Frosty 06-23-2018 10:29 AM

No, as I can afford to own a daily driver to handle my transportation needs. I consider it to be one of my recreation toys which I enjoy when I feel like driving it. Those times are on sunny days and when there are a lot of other cars on the road.

Plus to be honest, driving it regularly in inclement weather means I will have to wash it more often and because I am lazy in that way, it becomes too much like a chore. Too many things!

JJAY 06-23-2018 10:33 AM

YES !

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...85ec9337d1.jpg

Frosty 06-23-2018 10:38 AM

^^^ lol:d

LIStingray 06-23-2018 10:40 AM

Not on purpose. 10-15x in the last 20 years one of my C4's, C5's, C6's or C7's has been out when it unexpectedly rained - the current GS hasn't seen rain yet.
The C7 Corvette is a bigger pain in the ass to clean than any of my daily drivers with all the ducts, vents and trim and being low to the ground, and if it is used in the rain it must be thoroughly washed.
My C7 is not a daily driver, and it isn't much fun to drive in the rain, so why bother when it can just sit in the garage, while our fleet of 5 awd daily drivers (4 SUVs + an ATS) a sit outside and get wet anyhow.
For those that use their C7's as daily drivers, rain isn't going to harm it - snow and salt on the other hand aren't good for any car.

Patman 06-23-2018 10:48 AM

I don't drive mine in the rain because I don't need to right now. I have a second car for bad weather and it's a car that I never wash. To me, I just found with previous Corvettes that after driving in the rain a lot, it gets dirt into every little crevice that you can never fully get clean unless you spend an entire day on it, and even then it never looks as good as it did when everything was brand new. Especially in the engine bay. So for now, I am going to be vigilant about keeping it dry, as I love how fresh and brand new everything looks right now. It's also not as much fun driving in the rain since you can't corner fast or accelerate fast either, so there's that aspect too.

But I do know that there will be a time in the not too distant future where my C7 is definitely going to see rain and probably even some light snow and salt. That will be in 2022 when we start going to Florida for the winters. For sure we'll see some inclement weather during that journey, since we'll be leaving Ontario in late December and returning home in early April. I won't drive it in heavy snow though, if those conditions occur on our journey we will just hunker down for an extra day or two in a hotel. But during that journey, I won't let rain stop us.

As far as tires go, I plan on getting all season run flats for it, most likely whatever Michelin's top choice is at the time, but that could change depending on what else might be available in 2022.

plmmd 06-23-2018 10:48 AM

Daily driver lease goes out and I don’t care about the next guy Hoping A/S tires will be available in the fall for the gs. Then unless snow is deep it goes out! Let the frame rust!!!!!!!!!!!

eboggs_jkvl 06-23-2018 10:50 AM

When I go somewhere, I drive the car. Screw the weather, I drive the car. Right now, we're having daily 5 PM thunders storms. I still drive the car. It won't melt or dissolve in the rain.

Elmer

cyi1 06-23-2018 10:52 AM

Depends how bad it's supposed to rain. Isolated mild storms is fine but if it's heavy storms or possible hail then HELL NOOOOO

aj98 06-23-2018 11:05 AM

I dont have to drive in the rain, but if I’m out and about and it starts to rain, I don’t worry about it. It wont melt.

A/S 3 ZPs in the front, OEMs in the rear

VettinFan 06-23-2018 11:06 AM

I don't intentionally take it out in the rain. However if I get caught in it, it's no big deal, the car will survive. The worse part of it all is getting
it clean again like I had it.