CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Any issues running 160* t-stat without fan temps changed? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4158772-any-issues-running-160-t-stat-without-fan-temps-changed.html)

TorqueWinsRaces 06-30-2018 12:24 PM

Any issues running 160* t-stat without fan temps changed?

There shouldn't be a problem running factory fan settings with a 160* t-stat, right?

vettenuts 06-30-2018 01:21 PM

No, but watch oil temps and the coolant temp in traffic won't change, i.e., upper 220's.

neutron82 06-30-2018 04:03 PM

not worth it in my opinion, stock stat and fan adjustment would be my choice

feeder82 06-30-2018 05:19 PM

I have a 160tstat, it's 91 here today, my temp in traffic around town with the AC on never got over 180

C6_Racer_X 06-30-2018 05:29 PM

The potential down sides to a 160°F are:
  • Check engine light and code for low coolant temp
  • damaged catalytic converters
  • higher under hood temps due to excess heat from overheating catalyst
There's no real performance up side to a thermostat that cool.

I'd adjust the fan temps first. Also make sure your pressure cap is good (or just replace it if it's over 5 years old), and make sure your cooling system is in proper operating condition.

Are You having issues with it overheating? Or loss of coolant issues?

TorqueWinsRaces 06-30-2018 05:43 PM

I'm not looking to install a t-stat without tuning the car. I already installed it for my new tune from a forum vendor. The tune is not right, I can't get the vendor to respond, so I need to go back to my old tune that I'm fairly certain was not set up for a 160* t-stat. I don't want to swap my old -t-stat back in if I don't need to. That's all.

neutron82 06-30-2018 05:56 PM

you mentioned swapping tunes back to your old one, if you are capable of doing that on your own then you should be able to adjust the tune on your own right?... if so you could just change the fan on/off temps

C6_Racer_X 06-30-2018 06:03 PM

The fan temps are probably the least important part of tuning for a low temp thermostat. Any tuner who leads off with "I'll adjust the fan temps" is probably going to do a very poor tune for the lower temps.

The more important thing is to get the coolant temperature based fuel trim adjustments properly matched to the new thermostat. If that isn't done, you'll be pushing a lot of unburned gas out the exhaust, and that's very hard on the catalytic converters.

Also lowering the temperature where the check engine light activates to tell you the coolant hasn't warmed up in a timely fashion. Bad tunes will just set the "warm up time" timer to a ridiculously long value to prevent the check engine light from coming on due to the low coolant temp.

What other mods do you have that required a new tune?

TorqueWinsRaces 06-30-2018 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1597511048)
you mentioned swapping tunes back to your old one, if you are capable of doing that on your own then you should be able to adjust the tune on your own right?... if so you could just change the fan on/off temps

No. I made the mistake of going the route where my tuner box thing is tied to the tuner- the person. I can't do anything but load tunes and log data. I'm not a very happy camper right now. I spent $750 on this bad joke.

neutron82 06-30-2018 06:29 PM

yep, I've tried to warn people about that mess... it's not a good idea to let farm animals tune your car if you get my drift:hide:

TorqueWinsRaces 06-30-2018 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X (Post 1597511082)
The fan temps are probably the least important part of tuning for a low temp thermostat. Any tuner who leads off with "I'll adjust the fan temps" is probably going to do a very poor tune for the lower temps.

The more important thing is to get the coolant temperature based fuel trim adjustments properly matched to the new thermostat. If that isn't done, you'll be pushing a lot of unburned gas out the exhaust, and that's very hard on the catalytic converters.

Also lowering the temperature where the check engine light activates to tell you the coolant hasn't warmed up in a timely fashion. Bad tunes will just set the "warm up time" timer to a ridiculously long value to prevent the check engine light from coming on due to the low coolant temp.

What other mods do you have that required a new tune?

I've had the same tune from ECS for years. The car has always ran rich and I finally decided to do something about it. If I had it to do over, I would buy one of the units that allows me to actually tune the car, then just get help over in the Scan and Tune forum. I didn't do my research and got sucked in by an ad.

With the first iteration of this tune the car falls on it's face when I shift above 4k RPM and the fuel mileage has dropped 20%. Totally unacceptable. Edit- To be clear: I'm wanting to put the ECS tune back in the car. I have the tune file, I was just making sure about the t-stat thing.

vettenuts 06-30-2018 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TorqueWinsRaces (Post 1597510990)
I'm not looking to install a t-stat without tuning the car. I already installed it for my new tune from a forum vendor. The tune is not right, I can't get the vendor to respond, so I need to go back to my old tune that I'm fairly certain was not set up for a 160* t-stat. I don't want to swap my old -t-stat back in if I don't need to. That's all.

Sounds like a credit card disputed payment to me if you just got this.

TorqueWinsRaces 06-30-2018 07:08 PM

What a bunch of god ^*%%*T^R fu(&%^*(O bu%^&(&^^%!!!!!

This thing won't allow me to load my old tune and now my car won't start. I'm going to try this new tune just to get my car running again, but as of right now, I'm seriously unhappy. There is no way that thing should be able to download my old tune without being able to re-upload it.

vettenuts 07-01-2018 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by TorqueWinsRaces (Post 1597511404)
What a bunch of god ^*%%*T^R fu(&%^*(O bu%^&(&^^%!!!!!

This thing won't allow me to load my old tune and now my car won't start. I'm going to try this new tune just to get my car running again, but as of right now, I'm seriously unhappy. There is no way that thing should be able to download my old tune without being able to re-upload it.

Not sure where you bought it, but if it was recently dispute the charge.

TorqueWinsRaces 07-01-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by vettenuts (Post 1597513357)
Not sure where you bought it, but if it was recently dispute the charge.

Yup. I'm contacting my CC company.

One thing I'm curious about is the Corvette Forum and how the administration looks at these things. The Forum is allowing this guy to advertise and screw their members. It's pretty clear based on the comments from ECS (in a different thread) and the Forum members that it's known that this guy is a clown. I realize CF is a business not a social service, but the members are what is important, not the vendors. Guess how many vendors they would have with no members? If the CF administration won't stand up and tell people like this where to get off the bus, that's a problem.

Edit- Claim initiated.

sirdano 07-02-2018 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by TorqueWinsRaces (Post 1597511188)
No. I made the mistake of going the route where my tuner box thing is tied to the tuner- the person. I can't do anything but load tunes and log data. I'm not a very happy camper right now. I spent $750 on this bad joke.

i wonder what that cost was. Sorry man. I went to a local tuner a real good one. 500.00 got me street tune, dyno tune, then street tune. Best money i spent

sirdano 07-02-2018 04:41 AM

Oh he set my first fan to come on at 200 and the other one 215. I still have stock termo

corvettezman 07-02-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1597511207)
yep, I've tried to warn people about that mess... it's not a good idea to let farm animals tune your car if you get my drift:hide:

:spit:

lionelhutz 07-03-2018 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1597511207)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

neutron82 07-05-2018 11:52 AM

interesting that you haven't been able to get in touch with him but I have seen him posting in threads after this one was made... I have dealt with vendors like that in the past and it is very annoying, they put all their effort into hustling people to buy their product but are ghosts when it comes to actually helping those people