CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Ask Tadge (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ask-tadge-171/)
-   -   Ask Tadge Poll: Ending 7/8/18 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ask-tadge/4159059-ask-tadge-poll-ending-7-8-18-a.html)

jvp 07-01-2018 08:29 AM

Ask Tadge Poll: Ending 7/8/18

Vote for which of these 4 you'd like to have Tadge answer. The winner will be submitted 7/8/18.

The questions are posted in the replies below, with links to their respective threads.

jvp 07-01-2018 08:34 AM

Impact of leaving the ZR1 track cooling items installed on the street

The original question is here.

Poor-sha asked:
The C7 Z06 and the C7 ZR1 both come with secondary brake cooling ducts that the owner's manual states should be installed for track use and should be removed for street use. Additionally, the C7 ZR1 comes with exhaust cooling hardware that attaches to the tunnel plate and the owner's manual also recommends removing after the track event.

What are the risks associated with leaving this equipment in place during street operation?

jvp 07-01-2018 08:35 AM

C7 ZR1: Balanced Downforce

The original questions is here.

smurfmacaw asked:
I'd be interested in the changes to the ZR-1's front aero to balance the downforce from the massive wing riding in the back. I'm sure there is a preferred balance and significantly increasing the downforce in the back required some compensation in the front to prevent understeer at high speeds but it looks essentially the same as far as the splitter etc in the front (I've only seen pictures so they may be deceptive.)

jvp 07-01-2018 08:35 AM

ZR1 Front Quarter Panel Design Changes

MMD asked:
I would like to hear Tadge's take on the new design feature of the wide-body style "front" quarter panels found on the ZR1. I have not read or heard anyone discuss this design deviation from the stock C7 wide body design that can be found on the Z06 and Grand Sport. Was this change a result of aeronautical engineering studies, computational fluid & thermal analysis, or was this change made just to mitigate issues related to stones and road debris being kicked up rearward outside toward the rear of the vehicle? I noticed the ZR1 did away with the wheel opening "spats" that where implemented since the 2017 model year. I would appreciate any insights learning about this little mentioned design change. Any possibilty this feature will be incorporated into the design of the 2020 model year Z06 and Grand Sport? It sure would aid in reducing road debris damage.

jvp 07-01-2018 08:37 AM

Advancements of Taillight Technology

skank asked:
First and foremost I think the C7 taillights are a beautiful, geometrically complex, and integrated design that advanced the C7 generations rear fascia design. Observing the contentious hate affair over the loss of the traditional four simple and basic round taillights of the C6 generation I realize there are logical reasons for the C7's new design of its taillights. I've always thought there was a dual fresnel design function to the internal faceting of the taillight binnacles. Since round taillights have a concentric facet configuration internally they can only send light straight out and still retain a symmetric faceted look. All four of the C7's taillights have sloped bottoms and sloped sides to splay light wide and in a downward direction. Can this design send light straight out when the car is in forward motion and can they also send light in a downward direction when put in reverse thereby lighting the roadway for the backup camera? In effect having a dual functioning use and eliminating separate backup lights. Could you also reveal any new lighting functions that these new generations of LED taillights can accomplish?

ltomn 07-08-2018 09:58 AM

This poll ended in a tie! How do you determine whose question is relayed in this circumstance??

jvp 07-08-2018 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ltomn (Post 1597556296)
This poll ended in a tie! How do you determine whose question is relayed in this circumstance??

It's called "Moderator's Preference."

I always win.

ltomn 07-08-2018 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1597556622)
It's called "Moderator's Preference."

I always win.

That's quite a bit of arrogance from a moderator whose job is to maintain impartiality. Especially concerning a question whose information is already included in the owner's manual. What could Tadge add to this when it already covered there!

jvp 07-08-2018 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ltomn (Post 1597556729)
That's quite a bit of arrogance from a moderator whose job is to maintain impartiality.

Your first mistake was assuming my "job" is to maintain impartiality. It isn't. I choose the questions we vote on, and I vote on them. By that very definition: I'm partial. Deal with it.

Especially concerning a question whose information is already included in the owner's manual. What could Tadge add to this when it already covered there!
Is the information included in the owner's manual? Are you sure the information Poor-sha is asking is included in the owner's manual? Best have your ducks in a row before calling me out like that.

ltomn 07-08-2018 09:16 PM

JVP, it is clear to me that this is your ball game and if any of us want any participation, we have to play by your rules - even when they favor you!

However, I draw your attention to post #7 of the question thread we are discussing. If this isn't the inclusion in the manual that covers the use of this brake cooling function, I will apologize. It clearly states that the additional hardware is required for track conditions and that if one is going to the track to add this! It is not present on the car at delivery. All I get from that is 1) do not put it on for around town use (95%) and 2) have it installed when going to the track (5%) and take it off when you're done. Do we really need to ask Tadge this?

jvp 07-09-2018 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by ltomn (Post 1597559737)
JVP, it is clear to me that this is your ball game and if any of us want any participation, we have to play by your rules - even when they favor you!

And it's pretty clear to me that you didn't read Poor-sha's question carefully. Why don't you try doing that and maybe we can continue this discussion after Tadge answers it.

ltomn 07-09-2018 09:50 AM

Yes, I read the question intently as I was sincerely wondering about it's merit from the beginning. Poor-sha might have simply asked: Tadge, what happens when one does not remove the track brake cooling accessories as instructed by the manual?

Bluntly, that's asking, "what happens when we don't follow the instructions in the manual? Seems to be a question that does not need to be asked!

Now, on my original question: what happens in the event of a tie in the voting. I did not notice it identified in your guidelines. I would think that the author (Skank) of the equally winning question would have been in touch to see what the plan was to satisfy both groups of forum members. Might I suggest that you just run it as the next question!!

jvp 07-09-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ltomn (Post 1597561705)
Bluntly, that's asking, "what happens when we don't follow the instructions in the manual? Seems to be a question that does not need to be asked!

Well as a track dog, I disagree. So do several other people. We'd like to know the risks involved with leaving the cooling ducts on the car permanently. Thus the question.

Now, on my original question:
Don't you worry about it.

ltomn 07-09-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1597562097)
Well as a track dog, I disagree. So do several other people. We'd like to know the risks involved with leaving the cooling ducts on the car permanently. Thus the question.

Don't you worry about it.

This begs one point I'm trying to make. A tie vote in two questions. One appeals to 27 people that are probably 27 out of maybe 50 total people that may have an interest in something that is basically defined in the manual. The second question is a technological one that pertains to thousands of owners of next generation Corvettes (of any variety). In fact, the taillight topic was one of massive contention and debate when they were altered a few years ago. It is a stellar opportunity to dig deeper into something that is imminent in future Corvettes. At the very least, the tying question should be posed in two weeks. Not made a victim of an adolescent attitude of "it's my ball and I make the rules."

jvp 07-09-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ltomn (Post 1597562715)
Not made a victim of an adolescent attitude of "it's my ball and I make the rules."

Annnnd we're done here. Keep this sort of attitude up in future posts in this section and I'll target them for auto-deletion without any warning. I'm sorry you're so spun up about this silly little thing and trying to turn it into a drama it's not. But I'm not going to participate any longer and neither are you.