CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Fuel Gauge Problem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4159547-fuel-gauge-problem.html)

MBrianB 07-02-2018 11:35 AM

Fuel Gauge Problem

Well, I was starting to install fuses in the '72 for the first time with the new harness and everything else new.

Installed the gauge fuse and turned the key to on.....started to smell something getting hot......no smoke or sparks......nosed around the dash and the gauge cluster as they are all hanging out, not installed.....smelled it above the gauge cluster.....felt around and the fuel gauge ground was burning hot to the touch.

I pulled the connector to the fuel gauge. There is NO gas in the tank at all and never has been.

Will this self correct when the tank gets some fuel? Is the gauge faulty?

??????

Brian

7T1vette 07-02-2018 12:40 PM

No. You have something wired incorrectly. Actually, I can't imagine taking time to search out the source, once I smelled something burning!! :eek:

MBrianB 07-02-2018 12:48 PM

Usually electrical shorts melt, ignite, blow fuses immediately. Since this entire car is rebuilt and all the harnesses are new but not tested I don't have any other way to trace the problem. I will check the gauge sender for correct wiring.

I just wonder why it was the ground on the gauge that was hot?

I thought it was the clock as that is usually the first to self destruct.

Peterbuilt 07-02-2018 01:02 PM

Make sure that the TOP and BOTTOM terminals are centered in the holes in the metal that they attach to.
The insulator should keep those two terminals centered and away from the metal can they go through.

MBrianB 07-02-2018 01:13 PM

Found the test procedure for the fuel gauge and sender on the Willcox site. Thanks Willcox!

7T1vette 07-02-2018 11:20 PM

The Corvette is a rather unique American vehicle because of the high importance for proper grounding of the various electrical circuits. If something is not grounded well, that device will "hunt" for another ground to use. I suspect that is what is happening to you, based on your "hot gauge ground" symptom. Since only the ground was hot, there is likely some other device that is not grounded properly and is getting ground via that gauge terminal ground line. When you insert a specific fuse, it is unusual for only one electrical item to be powered. Investigate the common power string and what all received positive power during your test.; then check to see that those items were all grounded properly.

MBrianB 07-02-2018 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1597525272)
The Corvette is a rather unique American vehicle because of the high importance for proper grounding of the various electrical circuits. If something is not grounded well, that device will "hunt" for another ground to use. I suspect that is what is happening to you, based on your "hot gauge ground" symptom. Since only the ground was hot, there is likely some other device that is not grounded properly and is getting ground via that gauge terminal ground line. When you insert a specific fuse, it is unusual for only one electrical item to be powered. Investigate the common power string and what all received positive power during your test.; then check to see that those items were all grounded properly.

the ground for the gauge cluster appears to be at the temp gauge. The dash tach and speedo are each grounded individually. Where should I begin to look?

Peterbuilt 07-03-2018 12:09 AM

The main GROUND for the metal can starts at the center terminal of the temperature gauge.
All the other gauges get there ground from the nuts that hold the gauges to the metal can.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...98806d1dd1.jpg

Did you see if the fuel gauge terminals are centered in the holes?

MBrianB 07-10-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt (Post 1597525447)
The main GROUND for the metal can starts at the center terminal of the temperature gauge.
All the other gauges get there ground from the nuts that hold the gauges to the metal can.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...98806d1dd1.jpg

Did you see if the fuel gauge terminals are centered in the holes?

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. I had other wiring and starter issues come up.

I checked the terminals on the fuel gauge and they are definitely not touching the case, they are fully insulated.

All the grounds on the harnesses are now installed and I still get heat on the ground of the fuel gauge.

Peterbuilt 07-10-2018 03:11 PM

Did you say that you bench tested the fuel gauge?

MBrianB 07-10-2018 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt (Post 1597570366)
Did you say that you bench tested the fuel gauge?

I don't know about bench testing but I did inspect the posts and all the insulators were intact around the posts and the ground was tight. No continuity between the ground and the other two posts either.

Peterbuilt 07-10-2018 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MBrianB (Post 1597570768)
I don't know about bench testing but I did inspect the posts and all the insulators were intact around the posts and the ground was tight. No continuity between the ground and the other two posts either.

If you want to bench test the fuel gauge:
12 volts to the bottom terminal
Ground to the 3 o'clock terminal
top wire to one side of a flasher and then out the other terminal to the same ground.

MBrianB 07-10-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt (Post 1597570918)
If you want to bench test the fuel gauge:
12 volts to the bottom terminal
Ground to the 3 o'clock terminal
top wire to one side of a flasher and then out the other terminal to the same ground.

ok I'll try that. The entire gauge panel was rebuilt and I'm the first to install it.

MBrianB 07-12-2018 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by MBrianB (Post 1597571079)

ok I'll try that. The entire gauge panel was rebuilt and I'm the first to install it.

Bench test results:
Gauge goes to 1/8 past half.

Peterbuilt 07-13-2018 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by MBrianB (Post 1597585430)
Bench test results:
Gauge goes to 1/8 past half.

If the gauge works on the bench then what caused it to overheat when installed?
Is your center dash bezel cracked?
Do you have this BLACK ground wire connected?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9e6bfde7aa.jpg

MBrianB 07-13-2018 03:42 PM

All those grounds are landed. Dash lights work checked sender and it is grounded also.

Peterbuilt 07-13-2018 03:54 PM

You said that you did some work at the starter.
There is a thick black ground wire that should connect to a bell housing (or starter bolt) it's not on the battery solenoid terminal is it?

MBrianB 07-13-2018 03:57 PM

Just reinstalled it yesterday and ground is good there also.

Peterbuilt 07-13-2018 03:59 PM

Then we need some professional help!

MBrianB 07-13-2018 04:04 PM

I will try the Wilcox procedure and see what I come up with. Could it be due to the tank being bone dry?