CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4160709-2020-will-be-mid-engine-release-and-2021-will-be-a-new-front-engine-model-also.html)

Mikec7z 07-05-2018 02:44 AM

2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...

A friend of mine who is connected and is usually spot on with corvette predictions, said that his source told him that in 2021 model year, the front engine car is going to get a revamp. The mid engine will be released next year, as a 2020 model he said, but the front engine corvette is not going away, which I already believed, but he says it is getting a face lift. I am not sure if they are going to do a drastic change or if it will just be all corvettes getting a zr1 like front end that breathes better and maybe a few more intercoolers, or what the deal will be. He said that dealers lack inventory on c7 and zr1 as production has slowed down due to constraints on certain pieces and parts supplied.

Curious if this 2021 new front engine body or car, was public knowledge already? First I have heard of it. I imagine they would start putting in the newer dohc motors into the front engine cars, if they are going to continue to make them, so it will be exciting. He went so far as to say, the C8 is what the 2021 front engine car will be called, and the mid engine will carry the name Zora.

sunsalem 07-05-2018 03:02 AM

The only way the FE is coming back is if the ME lays a turd in the marketplace.

Rkreigh 07-05-2018 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by sunsalem (Post 1597537893)
The only way the FE is coming back is if the ME lays a turd in the marketplace.

I don't have any insights from GM but my opinion is we'll see the front engine car soldier on as long as they are selling

the production numbers on the ME car will match the demand which due to the price point will be lower

the vette has long been a "poor mans exotic" in terms of performance, and once the price goes up over 100k they are much harder to move.

Plenty of folks with $, hopefully I'll be there before I take a dirt nap. I like my old vettes because they are paid for.

skank 07-05-2018 07:26 AM

Op, you are correct in your post. The C8 generation is both the four model front engine line up and now will include the mid engined Zora. Up to five models will represent the C8 generation. Corvette like Ferrari will have both FE and ME configurations.

tooold2race 07-05-2018 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mikec7z (Post 1597537877)
A friend of mine who is connected and is usually spot on with corvette predictions, said that his source told him that in 2021 model year, the front engine car is going to get a revamp. The mid engine will be released next year, as a 2020 model he said, but the front engine corvette is not going away, which I already believed, but he says it is getting a face lift. I am not sure if they are going to do a drastic change or if it will just be all corvettes getting a zr1 like front end that breathes better and maybe a few more intercoolers, or what the deal will be. He said that dealers lack inventory on c7 and zr1 as production has slowed down due to constraints on certain pieces and parts supplied.

Curious if this 2021 new front engine body or car, was public knowledge already? First I have heard of it. I imagine they would start putting in the newer dohc motors into the front engine cars, if they are going to continue to make them, so it will be exciting. He went so far as to say, the C8 is what the 2021 front engine car will be called, and the mid engine will carry the name Zora.

I'm glad more are coming around to my way of thinking..... This way there will be plenty of new Corvettes to go around and something at every price point. Those waiting for a $60 to $70K ME will just have to wait a bit longer for their used car values to drop from the initial offerings. Be sides that, a 'freshened up' C7 (maybe with a new base engine) will keep the old faithful coming back. Again, this continues to be pure speculation. I worried that we won't have much to talk about after the 'reveal' though....

NY09C6 07-05-2018 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mikec7z

This has been the rumor. But I do not believe there is a single fact that supports this yet. If this is the case I believe the ME will be priced well above what the current car costs and likely well above the budget of the average current corvette owner. This means the ME becomes a very low volume car. This does not make sense to me.

skank 07-05-2018 11:03 AM

I was up at Laguna Seca last month when GM Powertrain showed up at the track. I got to talk to a few of the test drivers there that were driving 2 new ZR1's, 2 Stingrays, and 5 new Camaro's. They told me they were GM powertrain engineers and putting test miles on the engines. I asked them if they were testing a new version of the LT1 and they wouldn't say yes or no. They just smiled. I then said "You must be testing the new LT2". They still didn't respond though. I then told them that I was on the Corvette Forum and went by the name of Skank and that there were some on the forum that felt the front engined Corvette was going away and wouldn't be built anymore. One of the engineers just rolled his eyes and said "Oh ya sure, right uh hum right". Obviously making fun of the minority on this forum that think the FE Corvette is going away. I asked him if he reads the Corvette Forum and he said yes and that a lot of others read and enjoy the banter going on in the forum. I then asked them if they had read my Zerv List thread on the C8 forum and they clammed up and started to get a little nervous of me asking questions about the ME Zora. They then said "Well, we have to get going" and left.

bestvette2020 07-05-2018 11:21 AM

Fe c8 dct

ltomn 07-05-2018 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by bestvette2020 (Post 1597539365)
Fe c8 dct

Inevitable!

Walter Raulerson 07-05-2018 12:53 PM

The latest rumor is that the FE Corvette will look like the original '67 but be a hybrid with 903 horsepower. It will also have 2 transmissions in each car to satisfy the automatic liking people and the folks that like a clutch. It won't be a Cadillac. One other touch an FM AM radio will be standard

NY09C6 07-05-2018 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
The latest rumor is that the FE Corvette will look like the original '67 but be a hybrid with 903 horsepower. It will also have 2 transmissions in each car to satisfy the automatic liking people and the folks that like a clutch. It won't be a Cadillac. One other touch an FM AM radio will be standard

Seems plausible.

sunsalem 07-05-2018 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rkreigh (Post 1597537994)
once the price goes up over 100k they are much harder to move.

Which is exactly why the ME will start at well under $100k. ;)

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1597538107)
Corvette like Ferrari will have both FE and ME configurations.

The FE and ME Ferraris are aimed at different market segments....2 different types of buyers.

Originally Posted by NY09C6 (Post 1597539112)
If this is the case I believe the ME will be priced well above what the current car costs and likely well above the budget of the average current corvette owner. This means the ME becomes a very low volume car. This does not make sense to me.

Me neither.
I really find it hard to believe all of this effort by GM is for producing a niche vehicle.:nonod:

Mikec7z 07-05-2018 01:45 PM

the way im understanding it more is that they are going to have 2 seperate cars... corvette is going to hold the front engine name, and all rear engine cars are going to be called zoras.

makes sense. Why not compete against yourself and let the public decide. Its like the 911 vs the panamera vs the boxter... same with ferrari and their different models. I think GM realizes they are stupid to build a one car fits all, when everyone else has no problem selling 3 different models and making money.

Chevy is going to compete with themselves and only if one model stops selling well, would they discontinue it.

So again, the C8 corvette will be the front engine. The mid engine is not a c8... its just a zora. So this forum will eventually have to change its layout once this is confirmed.

RoketRdr 07-05-2018 06:53 PM

A friend of mine who is connected and is usually spot on with corvette predictions, said that his source told him that....

If a dollar was collected every time someone posted that on this forum there would be enough wealth to buy every CF member a new C8 ME.

Racer X 07-05-2018 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by sunsalem (Post 1597540353)
The FE and ME Ferraris are aimed at different market segments....2 different types of buyers.

…..

And the FE Ferraris are so much cheaper than the ME Ferraris….. oh, wait they aren't.

I find it interesting that people think ME cars have to be so much more expensive. They don't as evidenced by the MR2 and the Fiero.

Mikec7z 07-05-2018 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by RoketRdr (Post 1597542481)
If a dollar was collected every time someone posted that on this forum there would be enough wealth to buy every CF member a new C8 ME.

agreed :)

Im no slouch myself on these cars, but my buddy is connected to corporate so he does know.

nyca 07-05-2018 09:05 PM

The market just isn't big enough to sell all these cars into. Why would they do this? To take the ME up market in price/target? Against who? Porsche? McClaren? Ferrari? And what does that leave the core Corvette buyers with - "buy this slightly refreshed $70K car from us, because the car we invested all the development dollars in costs $110K now and we've priced you out of that market". Who is going to bite on that?

tooold2race 07-05-2018 09:56 PM

I just can't believe there are still folks out there that think that GM will build a FE C7 (technology that pre-dates 2013) and a ME car at the same (or close to) price, and expect to grow sales! Why would anyone buy the 'old' technology if they could get the latest and greatest for the same price??? Oh, I forgot..... there are still all those folks out there who long for round tail lamps and 3 pedals below the steering wheel. Come on..... wake up and get over it. There's going to be a freshened FE C7 AND a premium priced ME loaded with the latest technology.

Isn't it time to get a spot on the waiting list to get the last of the FE's, if that's the way you feel. Hmmmm….. I wonder why all those new C7 are collecting dust on the dealer's lots.

pietro c7 07-05-2018 10:08 PM

Sleep on both years gentlemen ,
the price is under 70k for a mid engine C8.
Peter Delorenzo squealed the price a few months ago.

elegant 07-05-2018 10:24 PM

Some of the things you were told, are totally incorrect as follows:

Facts:

1) Production is at 40 hours per week, producing 116 vehicles per day. That translates to approximately 23,000 units per year; this is exactly balanced with the sales for the first half of the year (worldwide) X 2 (for the second half of the year). GM is therefore producing the correct amount of Corvettes to meet current sales. As Kai Spande said in a public presentation at the BASH, “we have rightsized production.”

2) There are no constraints at this time, nor have there been for many weeks for all SR’s, all GS’s and all Z06’s (exception a) colors being or already been phased out, and the two new 2019 colors being phased in, and b) the ZR1 being constrained to productionat the rate of 192 units/month due to being supplier limited in carbon fiber components.

3) Dealers do not lack inventory except for the ZR1. They can order tomorrow (Thursday, the start of the next consensus) as many SR’s, GS’s, and Z06’s as they want and all of those will be built in six weeks (some even actually arriving at dealers located closer to the Plant within that time period).

As to the projections about the future, I am staying out of that quagmire discussion.