CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Dewitt's or AC champions radiator? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4162664-dewitts-or-ac-champions-radiator.html)

CVG323 07-10-2018 10:25 AM

Dewitt's or AC champions radiator?

I see Dewitt's as a favorite, but it's a bit pricey. Does the AC champion brand work as good as this? I see they have a 3 row as opposed to the Dewitt's 2 row .Figure I'd buy the better radiator and not have to worry about it anymore. Not to mention the champion is 50% cheaper than Dewitt's. But the price may reflect the quality of the product .any one here run champion radiator?

Tom@Dewitt 07-10-2018 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by CVG323 (Post 1597568590)
I see Dewitt's as a favorite, but it's a bit pricey. Does the AC champion brand work as good as this? I see they have a 3 row as opposed to the Dewitt's 2 row .Figure I'd buy the better radiator and not have to worry about it anymore. Not to mention the champion is 50% cheaper than Dewitt's. But the price may reflect the quality of the product .any one here run champion radiator?

We do have a very good single row (1.5") that is an upgrade from the stock 1.0" core . $379.99 Click Here

3 row vs 2 row is addressed in this blog post HERE

drcook 07-10-2018 02:17 PM

Go with the DeWitt's. That is what I put in my car. The 2 row one. Fitment is absolutely perfect. It simply dropped in where the old one was at. You are better off buying quality the first time. Tom DeWitt is also not the most expensive either. I have a Ron Davis auxilliary radiator in my diesel pickup. They wanted around $300.00 more to build one like I got from Tom above.

If you can survive to year end, DeWitts usually has a sale for forum members.

vader86 07-10-2018 05:50 PM

I use a DeWitts, the peace of mind of basically never overheating anymore is worth it to me.

Went 07-10-2018 05:55 PM

I am using the 1.5" core DeWitts radiator on my '89. Works great.

Went

jpipx 07-12-2018 11:03 AM

I'm another vote for the DeWitt's dual row. Put it into my coupe 2 years ago, temp is great and predictable.

BlowerWorks 07-12-2018 11:41 AM

AirFlow

Originally Posted by jpipx (Post 1597582091)
I'm another vote for the DeWitt's dual row. Put it into my coupe 2 years ago, temp is great and predictable.

Airflow thru radiator is critical especially on the C4. 3 rows too many especially if you cannot see thru the fins !!!!!!!

-=Jeff=- 07-12-2018 11:43 AM

I would like to go to a DeWitts but will need to wait until he has a sale again

CVG323 07-12-2018 02:03 PM

looks like I'll get a dewitts :thumbs:

pcolt94 07-13-2018 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by CVG323 (Post 1597583450)
looks like I'll get a dewitts :thumbs:

Good choice.

I have been looking around for about a week myself and spoke with many manufactures that I could. The more you know the more confusing it can get. Rows of tubes, tube width, two rows or three rows, more powerful fans are all a consideration.

If you have not noticed the driver's side of the radiator is angled out to the left and if you look at the Dewitt it's like the OEM. The Champion is completely straight, I don’t know how that’s factored in and what installation difference it makes.

I would like to know then there is a sale also. :)

CVG323 07-14-2018 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by pcolt94 (Post 1597593328)
Good choice.

I have been looking around for about a week myself and spoke with many manufactures that I could. The more you know the more confusing it can get. Rows of tubes, tube width, two rows or three rows, more powerful fans are all a consideration.

If you have not noticed the driver's side of the radiator is angled out to the left and if you look at the Dewitt it's like the OEM. The Champion is completely straight, I don’t know how that’s factored in and what installation difference it makes.

I noticed that but don't think it makes a difference. I'm gonna wait for the sale as well . Mine is still good .gonna install the thermostat tomorrow (160°) meanwhile.

Dakotaz 07-14-2018 11:34 AM

Pretty sure it is January. 15% off I believe.

Originally Posted by pcolt94 (Post 1597593328)

1993C4LT1 07-14-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Went (Post 1597571473)
I am using the 1.5" core DeWitts radiator on my '89. Works great.

Went

Thinking about getting this. How much more efficient than stock?

pcolt94 07-14-2018 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1 (Post 1597596472)
Thinking about getting this. How much more efficient than stock?

The 2 row radiator that they are known for is for us people who live in a real hot climate for much of the year. The stock radiator just can't handle it well but is fine if you live in a cooler climate. The less expensive Dewitt's 1.5 radiator is for the person who lives in a cooler climate and wants to replace a stock radiator and is not fighting a heat problem. It is less expensive and a good choice if you want a aluminum radiator or just want to do a basic change out for one reason or another.

Kent is in Oregon and might have more normal temperatures where stock cooling works OK. For a few weeks of winter in Orlando my stock cooling works just fine. But the rest of the time it's 85 to 100 and after 45 minutes the engine components are heat soaked and you just can't shake it. On occasion I turn my A/C off to cool the condenser which helps for a few minutes as the fan will continue to run for a while and I have the right side fan running as well.

But I hear Dallas Texas is hot kind of like FL and if you have heat problems the 1.5" radiator will perform similar to the stock radiator and won't help you much.

I'm not the expert on this, just my opinion and input from other experts.

Whaleman 07-15-2018 04:18 PM

I vote for Dewitts. I installed in my 96 and love it. Very high quality. Dan