CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   86 corvette slight squeaking sound at low speeds (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4163184-86-corvette-slight-squeaking-sound-at-low-speeds.html)

Isaiah_moski 07-11-2018 12:30 PM

86 corvette slight squeaking sound at low speeds

Hey all, I gotta 86 corvette that has started squeaking very slightly after being parked on a slant for a couple days. It is only noticeable at low speed while going straight or slightly right. When I turn left it goes away. Any ideas? On another note, the rubber on one of my hoses seems to be melting. Is this just due to age? It does run a little hot sometimes, up to 235 in traffic.

billschroeder5842 07-11-2018 12:57 PM

From my experience the c4 suspension will make an occasional squeak due to its design geometry. Parking on a slant will definitely put different pressures on different suspension angles. If the squeak goes away in a short amount of time, I'd not worry too much. If the noise is persistent, I'd get it looked at.

Can you give more information on the melting (A picture would be great) hose? You are a bit vague with your description.

TheBlaster9001 07-11-2018 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Isaiah_moski (Post 1597576134)
Hey all, I gotta 86 corvette that has started squeaking very slightly after being parked on a slant for a couple days. It is only noticeable at low speed while going straight or slightly right. When I turn left it goes away. Any ideas? On another note, the rubber on one of my hoses seems to be melting. Is this just due to age? It does run a little hot sometimes, up to 235 in traffic.

Is the sound based on speed, or is it over bumps?

Isaiah_moski 07-11-2018 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 (Post 1597576350)
From my experience the c4 suspension will make an occasional squeak due to its design geometry. Parking on a slant will definitely put different pressures on different suspension angles. If the squeak goes away in a short amount of time, I'd not worry too much. If the noise is persistent, I'd get it looked at.

Can you give more information on the melting (A picture would be great) hose? You are a bit vague with your description.

As I looked closer it wasn't a hose melting it was just a small leak and the fluid burnt and it looked like oil, so never mind about the burning hoses. Thanks though!

Isaiah_moski 07-11-2018 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlaster9001 (Post 1597576437)
Is the sound based on speed, or is it over bumps?

More based on speed, I don't hear it when going above 30ish, bumps don't help though. It is more noticeable on bumps but only when going slow.

856SPEED 07-11-2018 04:42 PM

It’s an old car! No worries!

gerardvg 07-11-2018 08:44 PM

Hi

Jack the rear up get under and spin the wheels, listen for squeaks at the half shaft universal joints.
The outer ones closest to brakes usually loose their grease and become a rusty powder, I replace the universal joints every 5 years on average.

Push / pull the half shafts and look/ feel for any play when moving wheel back and forward.

TheBlaster9001 07-11-2018 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Isaiah_moski (Post 1597577415)
More based on speed, I don't hear it when going above 30ish, bumps don't help though. It is more noticeable on bumps but only when going slow.

Follow what the other guy said about spinning the wheels and listening for the noise. Also, go ahead and grease the hood spring and latch assemblys, they can squeak some if dry.

Isaiah_moski 07-14-2018 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by gerardvg (Post 1597579345)
Hi

Jack the rear up get under and spin the wheels, listen for squeaks at the half shaft universal joints.
The outer ones closest to brakes usually loose their grease and become a rusty powder, I replace the universal joints every 5 years on average.

Push / pull the half shafts and look/ feel for any play when moving wheel back and forward.

Will do, thanks!

Isaiah_moski 07-14-2018 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlaster9001 (Post 1597580321)
Follow what the other guy said about spinning the wheels and listening for the noise. Also, go ahead and grease the hood spring and latch assemblys, they can squeak some if dry.

Alright thanks for the advice.