CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Not happy with exhaust sound (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4163750-not-happy-with-exhaust-sound.html)

salcolkat 07-12-2018 07:56 PM

Not happy with exhaust sound

orla

Z0HS1CK 07-12-2018 08:26 PM

Yeah you basically did the UPS truck exhaust mod to your Z lol. Sorry.

The good news is that since you're already thinking about it, might as well do long tubes. That will IMPROVE the sound quality substantially. And you'll pick up power too. (and more power if you tune the car)

Not sure why the front cat delete is even an option. Because if you're doing that you might as well do long tubes.

My car just with the borla xpipe in track mode sounds incredible. That's how it was supposed to sound from factory. I would do long tubes but i'm waiting for the C8 so i can upgrade anyway.

3 Z06ZR1 07-12-2018 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 (Post 1597585879)
Yeah you basically did the UPS truck exhaust mod to your Z lol. Sorry.

The good news is that since you're already thinking about it, might as well do long tubes. That will IMPROVE the sound quality substantially. And you'll pick up power too. (and more power if you tune the car)

Not sure why the front cat delete is even an option. Because if you're doing that you might as well do long tubes.

My car just with the borla xpipe in track mode sounds incredible. That's how it was supposed to sound from factory. I would do long tubes but i'm waiting for the C8 so i can upgrade anyway.

Held hostage by the worry of losing warranty you likely will never use when the big 3 (intake ,2300, headers. really propel the car doubling the fun.

VictorBarron 07-13-2018 11:54 AM

I have Corsa X pipe with the Magnaflow Comps. The sound is just terrific.

:cheers:

sunsalem 07-13-2018 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by salcolkat (Post 1597585724)
I recently installed a set of Norcal cat delete pipes.

Your first mistake.

Z0HS1CK 07-13-2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by VictorBarron (Post 1597589215)
I have Corsa X pipe with the Magnaflow Comps. The sound is just terrific.

:cheers:

Video?

Range_Rat 07-13-2018 08:01 PM

Long tubes plus Corsa equals super sound!

BooSSted 07-13-2018 09:40 PM

Yea going to have to ditch the cat deletes. Longtubes will make it sound amazing.

salcolkat 07-13-2018 10:25 PM

bbb

BooSSted 07-14-2018 01:21 PM

If you're considering dropping $4K on a catback for pure sound. You shouldn't have much concern over warranties. You could buy a new built shortblock for that. :lol:

spoolin98 07-14-2018 05:09 PM

This is the first thread that I have read bad things about the norcal cat deletes, am I missing something? I was planning on doing the cat deletes with borla x pipe now I am second guessing.

salcolkat 07-14-2018 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by spoolin98 (Post 1597596635)
This is the first thread that I have read bad things about the norcal cat deletes, am I missing something? I was planning on doing the cat deletes with borla x pipe now I am second guessing.

Its

Z0HS1CK 07-14-2018 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by spoolin98 (Post 1597596635)

Yeah don't.

If you can't do long tubes, leave it alone.

Or to the very least, install that borla. It will actually sound like it has long tubes (seriously).

The xpipe really opened the sound of these cars. You think it sounds good stock, wait until you put the xpipe. Same good sound, just louder and more "raw".

Don't do the front cat delete unless you're doing long tubes. Let this thread be a lesson to all thinking about it.

sunsalem 07-15-2018 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by salcolkat (Post 1597597508)
Some how the tone has changed with Norcal and Borla.

The problem is matching an inferior product to the Borla.

3 Z06ZR1 07-15-2018 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by salcolkat (Post 1597593194)
I understand that the long tubes sound better but my question is does anyone have Akrapovic exhaust with The cat delete pipes and how does it sound? As i stated in my original post i want to have the option of going back to the stock set up if needed without too much trouble for warranty purposes.

Better go back to stock if your so worried about the warranty which the cat delete will kill if the dealer sees it! Cat removal on headers amounts to a couple hp!

spoolin98 07-15-2018 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by salcolkat (Post 1597597508)
Its not terrible but it has a bit of a broken muffler sound IMO I was expecting the same sound as stock just louder. Some how the tone has changed with Norcal and Borla. Some may like it but this is just my observation. I am pretty open minded about it. If it sounded identical to stock but louder i would say so and be content, but i am left looking for a more refined sound now.

Any chance you could post a video? The only video I have ever seen was the video from the manufacturer.

spoolin98 07-15-2018 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 (Post 1597597630)
Yeah don't.

If you can't do long tubes, leave it alone.

Or to the very least, install that borla. It will actually sound like it has long tubes (seriously).

The xpipe really opened the sound of these cars. You think it sounds good stock, wait until you put the xpipe. Same good sound, just louder and more "raw".

Don't do the front cat delete unless you're doing long tubes. Let this thread be a lesson to all thinking about it.

Maybe I'll just start with the xpipe and go from there. I want my car loud, but I don't want it to sound like crap. Maybe a borla catback with borla x pipe will sound better than the borla xpipe/cat delete.

Z0HS1CK 07-15-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by spoolin98 (Post 1597600766)
Maybe I'll just start with the xpipe and go from there. I want my car loud, but I don't want it to sound like crap. Maybe a borla catback with borla x pipe will sound better than the borla xpipe/cat delete.

You don't need the borla catback, the factory NPP exhaust is AMAZING for what it is.

Trust me all you need is the xpipe. I wish i was local to you so i can show you. It's really all you need.

Loud when you want it (in track) and still dead silent when you need it (stealth).

spoolin98 07-15-2018 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 (Post 1597600871)
You don't need the borla catback, the factory NPP exhaust is AMAZING for what it is.

Trust me all you need is the xpipe. I wish i was local to you so i can show you. It's really all you need.

Loud when you want it (in track) and still dead silent when you need it (stealth).

I'll start with just the x pipe, I appreciate the feedback. I really want my car to be obnoxiously loud, that's why I feel the x pipe wont be enough. But ill start with that and see how it sounds :cheers:

Warp Factor 07-15-2018 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by spoolin98 (Post 1597601085)
I'll start with just the x pipe, I appreciate the feedback. I really want my car to be obnoxiously loud, that's why I feel the x pipe wont be enough.

Why? Do you enjoy pizzing people off? I got past that when I was in my early 20's. How old are you?
A high noise level won't make people think you go fast, anymore. Some of the loudest bikes are Harleys, and some of the loudest cars running around on the street are stock economy Hondas with fart cans. Neither is fast.