CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Anxiety About Convertible (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4163835-anxiety-about-convertible.html)

velocityopen6 07-13-2018 01:14 AM

Anxiety About Convertible

I have an opportunity to purchase a C7 convertible for a very good price. The area I am live in has nice weather all year round, and generally pretty warm with very little rain. I have never owned convertibles (only times I drove them is through car rentals) before, so I am hesitant to get the C7 vert because it doesn't have any roll-bar protection. I know the A-pillar is supposedly strong enough but I still felt a bit uneasy thinking about what would happen if the car rolled over. Should I just get the coupe instead? Could some of the vert owners please chime in?

JGarland 07-13-2018 01:19 AM

Dont do it.

bdutchik 07-13-2018 02:04 AM

Just do it. I live in So Cal and the top is hardly ever up. I've had 3 generations of coupe, but the Vert is the just a whole different feel. Unless you need the big trunk, the vert is the way to go. I've also noticed that that vert is a much quieter than the coupe as well when the top is up. Way too much fun.

velocityopen6 07-13-2018 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by bdutchik (Post 1597587221)
Just do it. I live in So Cal and the top is hardly ever up. I've had 3 generations of coupe, but the Vert is the just a whole different feel. Unless you need the big trunk, the vert is the way to go. I've also noticed that that vert is a much quieter than the coupe as well when the top is up. Way too much fun.

I don't need a big trunk space, at most just fitting a few grocery bags. Do you ever feel concerned about the lack of protection (such as the roll bar from coupe)?

SilverGhost 07-13-2018 02:55 AM

what would happen if the car rolled over
You've answered your own question. How are you ever going to feel comfortable in a car you view as a death trap? Volvos used to show commercials of 5 or 10 of their cars stacked on top of each other. maybe that is your answer.

But watch out for those SUNROOFS! A tree branch might come through the open sunroof of a hard top car while you are in the death roll and skewer you!

And SEMI-TRUCKS, don't get me started on tractor trailers and vettes. Those tractor-trailers are JUST TOO HIGH! They really oughta put anti-vette skirts underneath the trailer part of tractor trailers.

Vette driver millimeters away from decapitation

Vert driver for 42 years. I've seen death from Alzheimers. Believe me, you got your mortality fears compass pointing in the wrong direction.

flying_vette 07-13-2018 03:37 AM

One of the best feature of Corvette coupe is the ability to take targa off and have the convertible feel, not exact but very close.

monicatomokc 07-13-2018 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by velocityopen6 (Post 1597587158)
I have an opportunity to purchase a C7 convertible for a very good price. The area I am live in has nice weather all year round, and generally pretty warm with very little rain. I have never owned convertibles (only times I drove them is through car rentals) before, so I am hesitant to get the C7 vert because it doesn't have any roll-bar protection. I know the A-pillar is supposedly strong enough but I still felt a bit uneasy thinking about what would happen if the car rolled over. Should I just get the coupe instead? Could some of the vert owners please chime in?

Prior to 4/24/2014, I never owned a vert and rode in one just once, and wasn't all that impressed, then there was that test drive in the car you see to the left here and the rest is history. Top is only up when weather (temp; have never driven in the rain) prohibits. A test drive "should" answer your questions. Unless you are going to track the car, odds of being in a roll-over are slim to none and I wouldn't let that be a driving factor in your choice.

steve8 07-13-2018 05:58 AM

Let me know if you don't buy it.

eseibel67 07-13-2018 06:08 AM

Not sure how you drive. But a Corvette is very low and stable, it would be difficult to flip it over.

Skid Row Joe 07-13-2018 06:17 AM

If you're not.going to buy a convertible C7, you're just wasting your Corvette money. That's how I look at it. I suppose it could flip, but unlike many C7 owners, I don't street race my Corvette as many are fond of reporting their hot rodding escapades on public streets and highways. So, I'm probably less likely to flip mine.

I wanted (2) absolute basics in my new C7: 1) Manual transmission, & 2) Convertible. Everything else could be compromised on. But NOT those two.

The hatchbacks are miserable in the wind. They'll beat the hall out of you, and they're noisy in that cavern echo chamber. :ack:

To pretend a targa hatchback is a convertible, , is laughable.

I love my C7 convertible:https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...75b31cad04.jpg

My new 2017 Stingray convertible:

Drive-C7 07-13-2018 06:39 AM

I bought one of the first Verts made in 2014. Love it and have 26,000 miles. Would would have to try really hard to flip this car. Recommend doing the Spring Valley thing then tell me how save this car is. I have two cars and a truck. I fell safer in the vert than any car or truck I have owned.

midigike 07-13-2018 06:42 AM

You have legitimate concerns and a roll over is a serious event. That is why I bought a hardtop for my 68 for extra protection.
I rented a C6 vert when I was in Vegas to go see the Hover Dam. It was really a very enjoyable experience with the wife. Mountain roads, scenic views, wind in your hair, powerful V8-
I can tell you one thing, I didn't want a red convertible but the 68 found me and I purchased it. I also found and installed the hardtop top for protection.
The chrome makes it pop too....
I'm sure someone is making a hardtop for the C7 so you can always go that route.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d5cd0a612c.jpg

2016c7fl 07-13-2018 06:43 AM

Convertible all the way. Have had both hard top and vert and no way would ever get hard top again. Having a "targa" top is not having a vert, not even in the same zip code. Living here in Central Florida is living in vert heaven. Good luck, oh I have never given a minutes thought to roll over protection..

Factoid 07-13-2018 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by midigike (Post 1597587477)
You have legitimate concerns and a roll over is a serious event. That is why I bought a hardtop for my 68 for extra protection.
I rented a C6 vert when I was in Vegas to go see the Hover Dam. It was really a very enjoyable experience with the wife. Mountain roads, scenic views, wind in your hair, powerful V8-
I can tell you one thing, I didn't want a red convertible but the 68 found me and I purchased it. I also found and installed the hardtop top for protection.
The chrome makes it pop too....
I'm sure someone is making a hardtop for the C7 so you can always go that route.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d5cd0a612c.jpg

In a rollover, how does that hardtop protect you?

hcvone 07-13-2018 06:49 AM

Out of my 12 vette's only one has been a convertible, loved it with the top down, if you live in a nice weather area DO IT, you will love the car, I live in part of the country that you can not enjoy a convertible on a daily basis, if I did I would have had MANY more convertibles

thompstl1 07-13-2018 07:22 AM

I bought my first convertible Corvette in 1968, it was a '58 and had both the convertible top and hardtop. Since then, I've probably owned 1/2 dozen convertibles and another 1/2 dozen hardtops.

I agree with most everyone here that a Targa top is not a near = for the convertible; although I love both convertibles and hardtops for different reasons.

I think the statistical probability of having a similar accident in a convertible that would cause serious injury or death and NOT cause similar serious injury or death in a hardtop are very remote. So the consequence of a convertible may be high in given situations, but the probability is very, very low.

Only you can access whether the benefit of the convertible outweighs it's possible consequence.

shakinrock 07-13-2018 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1597587440)
If you're not.going to buy a convertible C7, you're just wasting your Corvette money. That's how I look at it. I suppose it could flip, but unlike many C7 owners, I don't street race my Corvette as many are fond of reporting their hot rodding escapades on public streets and highways. So, I'm probably less likely to flip mine.

I wanted (2) absolute basics in my new C7: 1) Manual transmission, & 2) Convertible. Everything else could be compromised on. But NOT those two.

The hatchbacks are miserable in the wind. They'll beat the hall out of you, and they're noisy in that cavern echo chamber. :ack:

To pretend a targa hatchback is a convertible, , is laughable.

I love my C7 convertible:https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...75b31cad04.jpg

My new 2017 Stingray convertible:

100% agree

Kevin A Jones 07-13-2018 07:32 AM

IMO, the Vert provides a better overall driving experience top up or down, so climate isn't a factor for me, nor is any slight increased risk to safety that a soft-top could 'possibly' present.

dvilin 07-13-2018 07:32 AM

Convertible is the only way to go. Very little wind buffeting at any speed, easy one button operation with no latches to fool with. Way quieter than the coupe with its removable roof in place or off. Sleek sports car look with the top up or down, just a 100% pleasure to drive.
As for rollover concerns I have none of these thoughts and to be honest with you if that is your concern than a 460hp sportscar may not be for you.

Corgidog1 07-13-2018 07:34 AM

If you take turns at ridiculously dangerous speeds, then yes you might have a valid concern. other than that a convertible is the way to go if your vette is a toy. A big part of the fun of driving it is having the top down. And yes I agree with SRJ that the 2 items that are non negotiable for me are a vert and a manual trans.