CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Should I....or shouldn't I? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4164039-should-i-or-shouldnt-i.html)

trumanjd1 07-13-2018 02:59 PM

Should I....or shouldn't I?

Took delivery about 2 weeks ago on my new 2019 LBR GS 2LT....I had dealer install front splitter , but was undecided whether or not to have dealer install side skirts/rockers. They are at dealership in boxes unopened waiting for me to either pick them up or have dealer install them. I have read horror stories about getting chipped, etc...and to install , dealer must drill side body area to complete installation...
WHAT TO DO?:crazy:

Glenmcp 07-13-2018 03:09 PM

You have spent a bunch of money to this point. Spend a few more and let the dealer install the skirts.

DWS44 07-13-2018 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Glenmcp (Post 1597590751)
You have spent a bunch of money to this point. Spend a few more and let the dealer install the skirts.

Shouldn't be any extra cost...they came with the car and should be part of the new car delivery.

No question here...get them installed and be done with it! :thumbs:

They will actually help prevent your rocker panels from getting stone chips from all the rocks the sticky tires throw up on the sides. In fact, I'd recommend getting a set of splash guards to install as well, to help with that protection.

dvilin 07-13-2018 03:18 PM

Definitely have the dealer install them they will help with rock chips and look good. There should be no charge.

trumanjd1 07-13-2018 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1597590791)
Definitely have the dealer install them they will help with rock chips and look good. There should be no charge.

There is no charge to install....came with the package.

Steve Garrett 07-13-2018 03:47 PM

Put on the side skirts....the front splitter and the side skirts are kind of a set. I think one looks out of place without the other.

robert miller 07-13-2018 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell (Post 1597590974)
Put on the side skirts....the front splitter and the side skirts are kind of a set. I think one looks out of place without the other.

:iagree: Let the deal do the job & call it a day. Robert

Avanti 07-13-2018 04:00 PM

Depends if anyone at the dealership who stands a chance of working on your car can walk and chew gum at the same time. Many cannot.

Does your dealership sell many Vettes? Do they service many? That seems a reasonable place to start data gathering for decision making.

Parcival 07-13-2018 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DWS44 (Post 1597590762)
Shouldn't be any extra cost...they came with the car and should be part of the new car delivery.

No question here...get them installed and be done with it! :thumbs:

They will actually help prevent your rocker panels from getting stone chips from all the rocks the sticky tires throw up on the sides. In fact, I'd recommend getting a set of splash guards to install as well, to help with that protection.

agree

robert miller 07-13-2018 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell (Post 1597590974)

:iagree: Let the deal do the job & call it a day. Robert

The_Chief 07-13-2018 04:49 PM

Definitely worth the install. I rubbed my hand under the rockers on my car the other day and was surprised at how much of a beating they take underneath. No visible damage to the painted side or fenders to date, but I can only imagine what the sides would look like without them.

rb185afm 07-13-2018 04:52 PM

You should .

BobFic 07-13-2018 04:53 PM

I need to see pic's of Vette...

JerryU 07-13-2018 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by trumanjd1 (Post 1597590652)
Took delivery about 2 weeks ago on my new 2019 LBR GS 2LT....
WHAT TO DO?:crazy:

I would not drive a C7 without side skirts-especially a GS! In fact since I added aftermarket full length side skirts saved my 2014 Z51 from the many marks the GM rocker panel protective plastic was getting I bought thhe full length side skirts for my GS! I bought the $2995 carbon fiber painted carbon flash Stage 2 aero GM option!

Might consider installing ACS front splash Guards. From forum member recommendations who owned Z06 and Grand Sports -they and side skirts work!

After one year have no marks on my rocker panels OR the lower rear brake ducts! Search and you will see many issues related to pebbles thrown from those wide front tires!

As a new GS owner, get ready to install ceramic brake pads or you'll be cleaning the brake dust every 100 to 200 miles! I waited foolishly 6 months on the 2014 Z51 and added them to my Grand Sport when I got it from the dealer!

If you're concerned about looks, consider "Form Follows Function" and their pebble blocking ability makes them look great to me! I have not 1 chip on the side skirts, they pebbles only hit underneath. If I have the sound system off it literally sounds like a tambourine on our rural roads! :lol:

Bill Dearborn 07-13-2018 05:06 PM

There are thousands of C7s on the road today that had the dealer install the aero pieces with no problem. There is always the possibility of an error no matter who does the work but it is minimal and if the dealer screws it up it is on their nickel not yours. All of the parts are installed by drilling the lower aperture panel and riveting the parts on. It makes for a strong mount and the pieces can actually take some pretty significant impacts without being damaged. After I took delivery of my Z06 I was on the way home on a dark night in a driving rain storm and turned into a fast food place to get some food I didn't see a center divider that was the same color as the pavement and ran over it. The drivers side side skirt was dragging on the concrete and sort of supporting some of the car's weight. When I got some place where I could inspect the car with some light every thing was fine. Those rivets and the associated panels when all fastened together are tough.

Bill

JerryU 07-13-2018 05:19 PM

^^^
:iagree: Also they are installed with a factory bolt before drilling so there is guessing where to drill! Took some time for the C7 Tech to drill and install the rivets on my Stage 2 aero Grand Sport skirts but nothing was messed up.

I used rivets when I installed aftermarket skirts on my 2014 Z51. Hit those carbon fiber skirts a few times getting out and glad they were held on with rivets! No harm.

Borntorun04/17 07-13-2018 05:24 PM

Install !

Kevin A Jones 07-13-2018 05:36 PM

Yes, install them. I couldn't imagine having a Grand Sport without sideskirts as they complete the look, and besides they really protect your rockers/panels.

Vet Interested 07-13-2018 06:06 PM

Option#3: Have Parcival's blonde install them and watch. Who cares how they turn out!

neogenesis 07-13-2018 09:47 PM

You should....

send them to me. Ill be happy to pay for the shipping :D