CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   confused on wiper door (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4164086-confused-on-wiper-door.html)

walt4805 07-13-2018 05:13 PM

confused on wiper door

Last week the wiper door quit working. Under the dash the vacuum solenoid was really hot. I replaced it. The new one still gets hot too. When I unhooked the wires the door opened and would not close, then finally it did. I have vacuum to the override but the override won't operate the door either. I hooked the two vacuum lines together and still no door operation, even with the override switch. Anyone help? Is it electrical which makes the solenoid hot? Can you not bypass that like I did ? The actuator that pushes the rod into the wiper cell pops when it has vacuum and relaxes when you shut the car off. I down load the schematics but still lost.

Torqued Off 07-13-2018 06:50 PM

The wiper door on my 77 works perfect every time.

DUB 07-13-2018 06:59 PM

What year is your car????

You CAN by-pass the solenoid behind your tach....but by doing this...to open and close the wiper door you would ALWAYS need to use the vacuum override switch under the steering column.

With the engine running....you MUST have vacuum on the small hose that goes to your actuator relay. in order to keep the door closed.

To open the wiper door....the vacuum to the small hose is shut off and thus no vacuum goes to it and it will raises the wiper door. And this is assuming that all otehr vacuum connections/components are good.

AS for why the solenoid is heating up. .I can not say due to not having any more important information from you other than you saying it gets hot.

DUB

walt4805 07-14-2018 06:54 AM

Thanks. Checking the relay today.

appreciate it tremendously

Originally Posted by DUB (Post 1597592155)
What year is your car????

Originally Posted by DUB (Post 1597592155)

You CAN by-pass the solenoid behind your tach....but by doing this...to open and close the wiper door you would ALWAYS need to use the vacuum override switch under the steering column.

With the engine running....you MUST have vacuum on the small hose that goes to your actuator relay. in order to keep the door closed.

To open the wiper door....the vacuum to the small hose is shut off and thus no vacuum goes to it and it will raises the wiper door. And this is assuming that all otehr vacuum connections/components are good.

AS for why the solenoid is heating up. .I can not say due to not having any more important information from you other than you saying it gets hot.

DUB

theandies 07-14-2018 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone (Post 1597592097)
The wiper door on my 77 works perfect every time.

Yes it does but it's not as cool as my '71 wiper door and it works perfect every time too.

Torqued Off 07-14-2018 07:05 PM

Mines Cooler

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 1597596622)
Yes it does but it's not as cool as my '71 wiper door and it works perfect every time too.

Mines cooler....literally. Mine has more airflow to A pillar cowl vents! Less restriction than the mickey mouse fancy all for nothing secret wiper door mechanism. Anyways....I am just joking around.

7T1vette 07-15-2018 03:12 PM

To the OP...

If the linkage binding during open/close?