CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   *SINGLE TURBO vs. SUPERCHARGER ~ Thoughts & Experience Welcome! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4165119-single-turbo-vs-supercharger-thoughts-and-experience-welcome.html)

Yve@Edgyvette 07-16-2018 01:51 PM

*SINGLE TURBO vs. SUPERCHARGER ~ Thoughts & Experience Welcome!

Back to this Age Old Vette Discussion ~ What SAY You? :shrug: No one's input is "Right or Wrong" here. Just Seeking to Open the Arena to Share Information on the What the Corvette Community has "learned".

Again, this thread is NOT intended to create bashing! There are millions of ways to get to "more horsepower". It doesn't mean anyone's "method" is incorrect. :thumbs:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...455d7f85ed.jpg

"I'm open to ALL possibilities but at the end of the day, I just want to GO FAST!" ~ Yvé

spoolin98 07-16-2018 05:28 PM

I've always been a turbo guy, so I'm a partial. Heat is a form of energy. Therefore, the heat exiting the rear of your vehicle is wasted energy. A turbo uses that wasted energy to make more power. Its a win/win situation. IMO, nothing beats the sound of a turbo spooling.
The turbo is an ingenious design. The combinations of turbo setups are endless, there is always something for your needs. I know some will say "but turbo's have lag", with the proper setup you can almost eliminate lag. Not to mention, lag can help you depending on your setup.

A supercharger uses power from the motor to make more power. It works, but its not as efficient as a turbo.

They both have their pros and cons. To me, turbos are far superior.

This is my first supercharged vehicle, please try and convince me that a supercharger is superior. All I think about is twin turbo'ing my Z.

M M Alexander 07-16-2018 06:48 PM

I’m a “turbo” guy in that I’ve placed a hair dryer (or two) on over 10 different vehicles over the years.
My daily driver Sierra has a 78/75 making over 600 hp/tq.
BUT ... Corvettes just by design, don’t lend themselves well to turbocharging. An overwhelming majority of the “kits” I see for them are atrocious in appearance/fit and the numbers/performance presented aren’t any better than the SC kits offered. Centri kits are priced well, install easily, fit/finish is almost factory in appearance and they perform great.
As I said to start I’m a “turbo” guy ... BUT never in a Vette.

Yve@Edgyvette 07-16-2018 07:54 PM

Thanks for jumping in!

Originally Posted by spoolin98 (Post 1597608762)
I've always been a turbo guy, so I'm a partial. Heat is a form of energy. Therefore, the heat exiting the rear of your vehicle is wasted energy. A turbo uses that wasted energy to make more power. Its a win/win situation. IMO, nothing beats the sound of a turbo spooling.
The turbo is an ingenious design. The combinations of turbo setups are endless, there is always something for your needs. I know some will say "but turbo's have lag", with the proper setup you can almost eliminate lag. Not to mention, lag can help you depending on your setup.

A supercharger uses power from the motor to make more power. It works, but its not as efficient as a turbo.

This is my first supercharged vehicle, please try and convince me that a supercharger is superior. All I think about is twin turbo'ing my Z.

Yep, they both have their pros and cons.... Great info!

EV has 2 Shop Cars. 1 - C7ZO6 M7 and 1 - C7ZO6 SINGLE TURBO (:yesnod:). We are learning and sharing what R&D unfolds in the comparison. Every bit of the CF Family input is valued!

spoolin98 07-16-2018 08:06 PM

I was in the DSM scene for awhile, some of you may not even know what they are. I respect anything that is fast, even more so for a little turbo 4 banger making big power. There is a very reputable turbo guy on those forums, he rebuilds them for everyone.
If you ever need one rebuilt he's the guy.

Yve@Edgyvette 07-16-2018 08:33 PM

Got you down for the turbo side ~ :-) Appreciate the reply!

Originally Posted by M M Alexander (Post 1597609304)
I’m a “turbo” guy in that I’ve placed a hair dryer (or two) on over 10 different vehicles over the years.
My daily driver Sierra has a 78/75 making over 600 hp/tq.
BUT ... Corvettes just by design, don’t lend themselves well to turbocharging. An overwhelming majority of the “kits” I see for them are atrocious in appearance/fit and the numbers/performance presented aren’t any better than the SC kits offered. Centri kits are priced well, install easily, fit/finish is almost factory in appearance and they perform great.
As I said to start I’m a “turbo” guy ... BUT never in a Vette.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...699d311a53.jpg

EV Shop Car Struggles ~ Single Turbo vs. Supercharged :-)

Yve@Edgyvette 07-16-2018 08:39 PM

Check that :-) ~ EV has a Turbo Build Package...

Originally Posted by spoolin98 (Post 1597609903)
I was in the DSM scene for awhile, some of you may not even know what they are. I respect anything that is fast, even more so for a little turbo 4 banger making big power. There is a very reputable turbo guy on those forums, he rebuilds them for everyone.

...Actually a SC and a Turbo C7ZO6. Our R&D seeks to contribute to the "quest for more performance power adder options". Sharing knowledge in this way helps ALL Car Addicts achieve their goals! Appreciate the feedback! :thumbs:

3 Z06ZR1 07-16-2018 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by spoolin98 (Post 1597608762)

Turbo slows over all exhaust flow costing some power nothing is for free!

MP&RPZ06 07-16-2018 09:40 PM

Road racing on a track you cant beat the SC.
Straight line racing or top mph Turbo all the way!

atljar 07-16-2018 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by spoolin98 (Post 1597609903)

Sorry .. The only think I can think of when I see DSM is a terrible slur that I came up with back when several of my friends had talons/eclipses. I still laugh when anyone says DSM (think back page personal ad)

spoolin98 07-17-2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1597610341)
Turbo slows over all exhaust flow costing some power nothing is for free!

Never said anything was free, simply stated it’s a better design and more efficient. Yes the turbo will be the most restricted part of the exhaust, but after the turbo you can straight pipe to make up for that restriction. There is a reason why all these big horsepower guys are switching to twin turbo setups, because there is replacement for displacement.

On my last build, I had RPM and gear set boost levels. Everything controlled through a electronic boost controller, it was great. Dial back the boost where you have traction issues and roll on the boost when you don’t.

spoolin98 07-17-2018 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by MP&RPZ06 (Post 1597610539)
Road racing on a track you cant beat the SC.
Straight line racing or top mph Turbo all the way!

Antilag can make a turbo setup just as quick on and off the throttle as a SC. For example, look at rally cars.
Most people don’t choose it for auto cross or road racing because it’s hard on the turbo.

spoolin98 07-17-2018 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by atljar (Post 1597611092)
Sorry .. The only think I can think of when I see DSM is a terrible slur that I came up with back when several of my friends had talons/eclipses. I still laugh when anyone says DSM (think back page personal ad)

Haha I’m just glad to see someone here knows what a DSM is. I’ve been into the 4g63T for about 20 years, that’s one impressive little motor. Between the old galant vr4, 90-99 DSMs, and all the Evos over the years there are a TON of those motors with impressive numbers.

wildgoat 07-17-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Yve@Edgyvette (Post 1597609801)
Yep, they both have their pros and cons.... Great info!

EV has 2 Shop Cars. 1 - C7ZO6 M7 and 1 - C7ZO6 SINGLE TURBO (:yesnod:). We are learning and sharing what R&D unfolds in the comparison. Every bit of the CF Family input is valued!

That's awesome. Any details on the build / dyno sheet from the turbo Z? Also, might be an odd question but I'm curious about what mpg you get with the turbo.

3 Z06ZR1 07-17-2018 01:41 PM

If were taking all things considered. 1. Goal of 800 hp 2. Pump gas 3. ease of install 4. Cost
Assuming we are talking the Z06. In my book the 673 rwhp on pump gas which is about 30 rwhp more than the ZR1. Plus puts in it a lighter weight car.
esp 1lz. Mods are Halltech intake, Tony Mamo PTB, Heartbeat 2300, ARH 2inch with cats. About 8800 total in cost
Plus to my surprise to runs cooler than stockhttps://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...aab934cfe4.jpg

NicD 07-17-2018 02:01 PM

I'm a huge turbo guy but I won't put one on my C7Z. For what I use this car for I much prefer the instant torque that is available everywhere and don't want the heat generation in the engine bay. Hell even for my C6Z project that should make around 1300 rwhp I'm going to be running an F1X/glide setup because I can't package a set of turbos in the engine bay that won't stick out of the hood, or have the exhaust dump out of the fenders and melt everything in sight. Corvettes just don't lend themselves well to big power turbo setups without the obvious downsides. Everybody already knows the upsides of a turbo setup vs a supercharger.

3 Z06ZR1 07-17-2018 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by spoolin98 (Post 1597612385)

Never said anything was free, simply stated it’s a better design and more efficient. Yes the turbo will be the most restricted part of the exhaust, but after the turbo you can straight pipe to make up for that restriction. There is a reason why all these big horsepower guys are switching to twin turbo setups, because there is replacement for displacement.

On my last build, I had RPM and gear set boost levels. Everything controlled through a electronic boost controller, it was great. Dial back the boost where you have traction issues and roll on the boost when you don’t.

No doubt turbo is the way to go for big power. Your statement Because there is no replacement for displacement makes no sense. The Turbo is not increasing any engine displacement. The trouble with the Turbo on the C7 Z06 is under heat and room. I don't think the build your talking is practical at all. FORGET it for a daily driver. Where the Heartbeat evens gives back 23-24 mpg driving 85 mph. Stock feel with 800 hp
plus the cool packaging. AT less cost!

Yve@Edgyvette 07-17-2018 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1597614716)
No doubt turbo is the way to go for big power. Your statement Because there is no replacement for displacement makes no sense. The Turbo is not increasing any engine displacement. The trouble with the Turbo on the C7 Z06 is under heat and room. I don't think the build your talking is practical at all. FORGET it for a daily driver. Where the Heartbeat evens gives back 23-24 mpg driving 85 mph. Stock feel with 800 hp
plus the cool packaging. AT less cost!

Good feedback here! Yeah, you're correct there about it not being a viable daily driver vehicle with the engine temp needing constant regulating :iagree: .

Fortunately, Edgyvette (EV) has 2 Shop Cars - (1) White '17 C7 ZO6 M7 with a few bolt ons ...this is my "Daily Driver" (2) Black '16 C7 ZO6 M7 Single Turbo with several performance mods... this one is the Edgyvette R & D Car. We use it to test builds, learn various products performance "habits", and pass along our "cliff notes" to other LSX/LTX enthusiasts. The black Turbo Z is far from daily... it rarely sees "moon light" at best!

Yve@Edgyvette 07-17-2018 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by NicD (Post 1597614520)
I'm a huge turbo guy but I won't put one on my C7Z. For what I use this car for I much prefer the instant torque that is available everywhere and don't want the heat generation in the engine bay. Hell even for my C6Z project that should make around 1300 rwhp I'm going to be running an F1X/glide setup because I can't package a set of turbos in the engine bay that won't stick out of the hood, or have the exhaust dump out of the fenders and melt everything in sight. Corvettes just don't lend themselves well to big power turbo setups without the obvious downsides. Everybody already knows the upsides of a turbo setup vs a supercharger.

Mmmm huuhhh, Roger that! I guess it depends on WHAT car enthusiasts want out of the car or HOW to enjoy the car, when it comes to deciding which suits their car passion. Some folks want to have enough PoooWWaaa to get to the grocery store quicker (...pardon the corky humor), while others want to see if they can lower the number at the end of a 1320.

:yesnod: Because... NASCAR. :D

A valid perspective no doubt! Thanks for the input :thumbs:

Yve@Edgyvette 07-17-2018 11:14 PM

....There it is!

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1597614361)
If were taking all things considered. 1. Goal of 800 hp 2. Pump gas 3. ease of install 4. Cost
Assuming we are talking the Z06. In my book the 673 rwhp on pump gas which is about 30 rwhp more than the ZR1. Plus puts in it a lighter weight car.
esp 1lz. Mods are Halltech intake, Tony Mamo PTB, Heartbeat 2300, ARH 2inch with cats. About 8800 total in cost
Plus to my surprise to runs cooler than stockhttps://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...aab934cfe4.jpg

If we can "THUNK it" then we can "BUILD it". This was a Meaty Reply... with some fantastic sauce!

Any room for making it "corn fed"? I saw pump gas, but didn't know if that's reg 93 or corn... :bigears