CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   powder coating (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4165276-powder-coating.html)

ontime 07-16-2018 07:51 PM

powder coating

Looking for a powder coat facility in the Tampa Bay area that specializes in wheels. I want to change my gloss black grand sports to a satin or matte black. Appreciate any suggestions for shops.

Konrad 07-17-2018 08:44 AM

I'm not much help, but I am curious as to why you are changing from gloss. I'm about to have mine powder coated and I'm undecided whether to go gloss, satin, or matte. I think gloss would be easier to clean off, whereas matte would attract brake dust more. However, I'd prefer matte, or even satin for looks.

farmington 07-17-2018 09:25 AM

You might be able to find some Centennial wheels for sale, then you could sell yours maybe for the same price. They are matte.

Cracked Conch 07-17-2018 09:37 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...961082c9fe.jpg
Engine Armor Coatings painted my wheels and calipers. Both were fantastic jobs.

ontime 07-17-2018 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Konrad (Post 1597612344)
I'm not much help, but I am curious as to why you are changing from gloss. I'm about to have mine powder coated and I'm undecided whether to go gloss, satin, or matte. I think gloss would be easier to clean off, whereas matte would attract brake dust more. However, I'd prefer matte, or even satin for looks.

I have gloss black on them now and if the tires aren't all shined up it looks like they are just part of the wheel well. I like the satin look as my son did it on his Mustang GT. I have been fighting the rotor and brake pad orange rust after washing. Black wheels can be a real PIA to keep clean. I only have 13k on it so it sits quite more than it is driven.

ontime 07-17-2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by farmington (Post 1597612622)
You might be able to find some Centennial wheels for sale, then you could sell yours maybe for the same price. They are matte.

yes looking at those just not sure I want the 19/20 combo. not a lot of sidewall left. I have tried to find 2009 Z06 spider wheels but scarce is an understatement.

ontime 07-17-2018 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cracked Conch (Post 1597612682)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...961082c9fe.jpg
Engine Armor Coatings painted my wheels and calipers. Both were fantastic jobs.

Thank you I sent email to them tonight .Your wheels look great. what was the turnaround time and approximate cost if you don't mind telling me .if not that is ok . did you have the tires dismounted and mounted by a tire shop?

Not So Fast 07-17-2018 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by ontime (Post 1597609781)
Looking for a powder coat facility in the Tampa Bay area that specializes in wheels. I want to change my gloss black grand sports to a satin or matte black. Appreciate any suggestions for shops.

Sort of ironic, I'd like gloss instead of my matte, go figure huh :toetap:
NSF PS I was quoted $500 to powder coat 4 wheels, of course that was 1 year ago so it probably costs more now, what doesn't ??

saplumr 07-17-2018 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Konrad (Post 1597612344)

Satin is pretty easy to maintain compared to my old chrome 3 piece wheels. I would assume gloss black could be as hard or worse than chrome.

ontime 07-17-2018 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Not So Fast (Post 1597617922)
Sort of ironic, I'd like gloss instead of my matte, go figure huh :toetap:
NSF PS I was quoted $500 to powder coat 4 wheels, of course that was 1 year ago so it probably costs more now, what doesn't ??

is your car blue? mine is all black and I have been on the fence about putting 19/20's on it but still really like the GS wheels. it looks good with the gloss black but it requires tire maintenance and then the stuff is all over the paint

Cracked Conch 07-18-2018 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ontime (Post 1597617894)
Thank you I sent email to them tonight .Your wheels look great. what was the turnaround time and approximate cost if you don't mind telling me .if not that is ok . did you have the tires dismounted and mounted by a tire shop?

Its been quite some time since i had the powder coating done, but i recall the turnaround time being relatively quick on the wheels.
Id have no reservations telling you the price but i honestly don't remember any longer.
Yes i did have the tires dismounted and mounted by a tire shop. (Wheel & Tire Source)