CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Starting to think about a Z06. Opinions from previous Vette owners. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4165407-starting-to-think-about-a-z06-opinions-from-previous-vette-owners.html)

nch209 07-17-2018 03:57 AM

Starting to think about a Z06. Opinions from previous Vette owners.

My '08 coupe is not getting any newer, so I am starting to educate myself about my future Corvette. Not in any type of a rush, but like to have my mind made up for when the time comes or a deal pops up. Previously I have owned a '03 coupe and now an '08 couple. Very happy with both, and very few issues. Naturally C7 GS would probably fit the bill OK, however, I have concerns that I would not be happy with the power. My LS3 does well, but I sure would not mind having more power. Seems like a C7 GS is bigger/heavier and not a heck of a lot more HP... worried I would be bummed with it. Any onwer's here own a GS and then pass in on for a Z06?

Really my only hickup with the Z06 is I have concerns about the supercharger. Are these care able to be driven ALOT and rack up the miles? My 03 was a garage queen and I never drove it, and my 08 started that way, but no more--- I drive it and just add gas, change oil, and tires. That's it. I maintain it well, but drive it every chance I get. Are members getting high miles on their Z's without issue? Any members hitting 100k or 150+ miles on their Z's yet? Opinions?

I need to drive both- but not ready to buy- and dont want to fall in love and pull the trigger early! LOL!

Sorry if this is a dumb post, but just trying to learn.
Thanks in advance!
-n8

Mr. Gizmo 07-17-2018 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by nch209 (Post 1597611671)
My '08 coupe is not getting any newer, so I am starting to educate myself about my future Corvette. Not in any type of a rush, but like to have my mind made up for when the time comes or a deal pops up. Previously I have owned a '03 coupe and now an '08 couple. Very happy with both, and very few issues. Naturally C7 GS would probably fit the bill OK, however, I have concerns that I would not be happy with the power. My LS3 does well, but I sure would not mind having more power. Seems like a C7 GS is bigger/heavier and not a heck of a lot more HP... worried I would be bummed with it. Any onwer's here own a GS and then pass in on for a Z06?

Really my only hickup with the Z06 is I have concerns about the supercharger. Are these care able to be driven ALOT and rack up the miles? My 03 was a garage queen and I never drove it, and my 08 started that way, but no more--- I drive it and just add gas, change oil, and tires. That's it. I maintain it well, but drive it every chance I get. Are members getting high miles on their Z's without issue? Any members hitting 100k or 150+ miles on their Z's yet? Opinions?

I need to drive both- but not ready to buy- and dont want to fall in love and pull the trigger early! LOL!

Thanks in advance!
-n8

came from a 2009 c6z06 to a 2017 c7z06.

c7 is more like a Cadillac - c6z06 more like a sports car

c7z06 is big and heavy and feels slower then the c6z06. I get hammered by other c7z06 owners for saying this. If you are a quarter mile guy the a8c7z is the way to go. It posts great 60 foot times resulting in high 10’s. The m7z06 is a toss up in the quarter with the c6z. After 120 the c6z will walk the c7z. Your base c6 probably has a higher top speed then the base c7 or c7gs. And probably the c7z06.

for me the normally aspirated motor is more satisfying to drive. The displacement in demand in the c7’s sucks.

If u plan on keeping the car for a long time my opinion is find a nice c6z06 and get the heads done.

the seats are a nicer design on the c7 more comfortable.

hcvone 07-17-2018 08:00 AM

Have had C3, C4, C5, C6 and now C7, they keep getting better, C6 ZR1 was roomier, more comfort, the C7 Z06/Z07 looks like a Hot Wheels car in full size, comp seats are tough to beat, and look great too. If you like a C6 better get that, I still like the C6 ZR1 the best. Check out everything :)

ZR1Bob 07-17-2018 10:23 AM

Go for the Z06. You only live once. I have owned four Corvettes and except for the first ('67 300 HP) they were always the highest performance versions of the offered series. I felt that all these years of buying mostly stick shift sports, performance and antique cars, I was old enough to deserve an automatic and a warranty. Got both. Plus one of the most powerful, competent and comfortable cars on the road. Did not go with the Z07 package since I don't track the car. I ordered mine and was able to get exactly what I wanted for a very reasonable price I thought, about $10k off list. And the list wasn't too high to start with at $92k. 2LZ with Automatic, Nav/PDR, body colored vents, chrome wheels. Great driving car--I have about 15,000 miles now which included two road trips of about 2,500 miles each. No problems. You will have no regrets. --Bob

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...326e92102b.jpg

saleen556 07-17-2018 12:54 PM

Get the Z06. Plenty of power and is an amazing car. I know there are a few here that bad mouth then. However the majority of us are quite happy with ours. If I weren't happy with a car I'd sell it and move on. Not sure why people keep them and complain 😏 Life is too short.

Paul R 07-17-2018 01:07 PM

Owned and drove a 2015 Stingray convertible. After 20k miles and one year, sold it and went into a 2015 Z06 convertible. I do not track my cars, just enjoy driving. I feel that I absolutely made the right decision moving up to the Z06. It is on a different plane of enjoyment.

The Z06 is to the Stingray as the Stingray is to a Camaro. Not putting down the Stngray...it is a great car and I truly enjoyed mine. It is just that the Z06 driving experience is on a whole different level.

atljar 07-17-2018 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1597612057)

c7 is more like a Cadillac - c6z06 more like a sports car

c7z06 is big and heavy and feels slower then the c6z06. I get hammered by other c7z06 owners for saying this.

for me the normally aspirated motor is more satisfying to drive.

Ive had c5, c6z and now c7z. Couldn't agree more.

The c7z is the easiest car to drive fast, but my 510rwhp c6z was considerably faster and more responsive of an engine. It would also put you into some really precarious situations with the power delivery

Tim Porreca 07-17-2018 01:42 PM

I rented a '15 Z51 for a weekend and while fun and plenty fast, I thought it was not quite as quick as I expected. I ended up getting a '16 Z06 and that took it to the "just right" level for me. I don't want to go 200 mph, but I do want to get to 60 really fast. Also, the sound of the stock Z06 beats the pants off the stock Z51. IMHO for enthusiasts the Z06 is the only way to go.

silver74vette 07-17-2018 04:06 PM

I had a 2003 ragtop, 2012 GS and now 2017 Z. The Z to me is more of a Grand Tour car, yes it is capable on the track but it has good road manners and rides comfortably. I do not have any concerns about the longevity of the drivetrain and expect to see 100k+ with no significant issues. If I were to track my car more than occasionally I might consider the ZR1. The Z06 makes power effortlessly on the road and is a blast to drive, I drive it much more than I did my GS (which I liked a lot as well).

salcolkat 07-17-2018 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by nch209 (Post 1597611671)

Thanks in advance!
-n8

I rented a 2014 stingray for the weekend and it was a lot of fun. Then i test drove a 2016 ZO6 and my idea of fun was redefined. I bought a 17 ZO6

saleen556 07-17-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by atljar (Post 1597614332)

The c7z is the easiest car to drive fast, but my 510rwhp c6z was considerably faster and more responsive of an engine. It would also put you into some really precarious situations with the power delivery

Conparing a modded C6Z to a stock C7Z isn't fair. If you modded the C7 Z it could be made plenty faster than the C6.

Range_Rat 07-17-2018 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by saleen556 (Post 1597614068)
Get the Z06. Plenty of power and is an amazing car. I know there are a few here that bad mouth then. However the majority of us are quite happy with ours. If I weren't happy with a car I'd sell it and move on. Not sure why people keep them and complain 😏 Life is too short.

Agree with everything said here. The Z06 is a terrific car and value package. Lot of smiles driving this car with no big negatives to be concerned about.

3 Z06ZR1 07-17-2018 06:30 PM

Bought a 2008 C6 Then owned 2 C6 z06's. These guys are over rating those cars in this thread. Stock they were 450-460 rwhp.
Not as fast, Not as good of handling car. Then if you sit one you see real quick. Sorta unrefined compared to the C7 Z06's. C6 Z06 was great for the day but Corvette improved a lot with the C7 Z06.

3 Z06ZR1 07-17-2018 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by atljar (Post 1597614332)

The C6 Z06 only made 450-460 stock I had two of them. Talk stock to stock and the C7Z06 wins no problem.

Z0HS1CK 07-17-2018 06:52 PM

I had a C6 GS with long tubes, no cats, exhaust, intake, tune etc. It was pretty fast.

I upgraded to the C7Z and the experience is night and day vs the C6, obviously.

I didn't even bother going with the stingray and i said it many times when i was still a C6 owner. That if i moved up, i won't even get a regular stingray. I was in the market for the 2017 grand sport after bring bored one summer week that i kept on watching youtube videos and just drooling over the pics of a widebody C7. I made the appointment to go check one out at the dealer.

Long story short i went to the dealer to look for a grand sport but drove home in a C7Z lol. Mainly the reason was that at the time the grand sport just hit the showroom floors so all they had were automatics. I didn't want that nonsense so i wanted to drive home in a manual car. Since the dealer i went to had a TON of vettes, i had plenty to choose from. Still didn't want auto so i was searching far and wide in their inventory for a manual.

Drove home in an arctic white with the red interior Z with the 7 speed. Never been happier with a car purchase before. Easily the best, most enjoyable car purchase in my entire life.

I had the car already 2 years but only put 10k miles. It's been solid so far. I don't daily it as it's strictly a weekend car only. But no problems here. No overheating (i don't track the car), no hiccups with the electronics.

I have the big 3 mods so far which is (filter, xpipe and ported throttle body). And so far so good. No hiccups, car drives VERY strong.

Like someone said you only live once. If speed tickles your interest every now and then i suggest going right to the Z06. You'll be disappointed with the LT1 power. Again this is no disrespect to the GS or stingray guys. These cars are already fast.

But these days, so are all the other cars on the road. And i know it's not a competition to see who's the fastest in your daily commute but trust me, the difference in passing someone with 455hp vs 650hp+ is totally different lol.

Btw, i disagree with someone saying the C6Z is faster? Faster how?

I beat a cammed C6Z off a roll from 50-120 last summer. And i only had a PTB and xpipe then. I'm stage 1 manual.

The slower C7Z's off a roll are the automatic guys. And Z's with the stage 2/3 aero.

An auto stage 3 aero would probably get walked by a GS lol

Mr. Gizmo 07-17-2018 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1597616608)
The C6 Z06 only made 450-460 stock I had two of them. Talk stock to stock and the C7Z06 wins no problem.

nope- not gonna happen manual to manual. Especially on the big end.

Bill Dearborn 07-18-2018 12:24 AM

Durability isn't the problem. The S/C should do just fine in the long term. It depends on what you are going to do with the car. If you are on the road a lot the LT4 is much thirstier than the LT1. LT1 fuel economy is similar to the the LS3 and LS7 fuel economy. LT4 is 6 to 7 mpg less than either of those. LT1 has the Horsepower and Torque Curves of the LS7 up to 4K rpm and then noses off. Of course the C7GS will be about 200 lbs heavier than a C6Z but it will get the same transmission ratios the C6 Z51 and GS got. That means street level performance will be similar to a a C6Z but will fall off over 4K rpm.

Where the C7 Z06 runs best is on a road course where the LT4s huge torque powers the car out of corners better along with the C7s ability to carry a little more speed through the corner than a C6. A well driven C6Z can run with them but in general the C7Z will turn faster laps more consistently with less driver effort.

Bill

thompstl1 07-18-2018 06:37 AM

I've had a lot of Corvettes since my first one more than 50 years ago. Among the many were a C6 Z06 and C7 Z06.

Comparing the two cars is difficult for me. The C7 is more refined, more technologically advanced, faster (comparing stock to stock which is what both mine were). The C7 is far more "controlled" and got far better traction. The C6 was a brasher, wilder, more driver oriented car. It required a lot of driver intervention and attention to deliver similar results to the C7. I enjoyed the C6 being lighter, especially in turns. I enjoy the comfort and sophistication of the C7.

Both cars suited a purpose and I enjoyed both equally. Just quite different experiences! Now this is extreme exaggeration to make a point, but if you get the C6, buy a set of snoopy goggles and a scarf and fly the thing by the seat of your pants. If you get the C7, get a pipe and one of those little flat hats so you can have an intellectual conversation while driving. LOL!

I've not heard of anyone with 100,000 miles on the C7 yet, but know a couple in the 40,000 mile range and they've had no real problems with their cars.

Either way, I'm sure you'll find the experience of the new car rewarding whichever you choose!

chucky7 07-18-2018 06:49 AM

Z06 purchase

Have owned numerous corvettes since 1972
By far, this car is the most impressive vette ever. The C7 z06 is the best Vette ever made by GM.
Drive one and you won't dissagree

Carvin 07-18-2018 08:27 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cc775efaff.jpg
Also had a 2008. Had been keeping an eye on the market but had no intention of getting a Z. Then I found this loaded 2016 with 30K miles for about the price of a new Z51.
I am now in fantasy land. There are so many options I still forget things like the fact that I have cooled seats. The thing steers like a go cart. And the power!
I have the competition seats and am now spoiled. The reaction this car causes in people also is mind boggling.