CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Ask Tadge (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ask-tadge-171/)
-   -   [ANSWERED] Impact of leaving the ZR1 track cooling items installed on the street (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ask-tadge/4166390-answered-impact-of-leaving-the-zr1-track-cooling-items-installed-on-the-street.html)

jvp 07-19-2018 02:32 PM

[ANSWERED] Impact of leaving the ZR1 track cooling items installed on the street

The original question is here.

Poor-sha asked:
The C7 Z06 and the C7 ZR1 both come with secondary brake cooling ducts that the owner's manual states should be installed for track use and should be removed for street use. Additionally, the C7 ZR1 comes with exhaust cooling hardware that attaches to the tunnel plate and the owner's manual also recommends removing after the track event.

What are the risks associated with leaving this equipment in place during street operation?

Tadge answered:
The short answer to your question is that cooling air is super-important on the track, and the vehicle's performance depends on it. Off the track, the same parts add no performance, tend to worsen aerodynamic drag and are possibly detrimental to the vehicle's long term durability. Although most Corvette customers avoid gravel, dirt and muddy roads, we still validate the car's durability on those surfaces. The same functionality that directs cool air to vital components on the track directs dirt and debris to those components in less than ideal conditions. Although we don't see a rash of failures if those "track pieces" are left on, we take the conservative position in recommending they be removed to maximize the long term durability of the cars. Chances are you could leave them on for the life of the car and have no issues, but depending on where and how you drive, you might be better off removing them.

skank 07-19-2018 05:24 PM

I was told by a ZR1 development engineer that the reason was loss of clearance underneath the car which was reduced by bolting on these parts. By the photos it appears it could be close to a inch worth of clearance loss. Tadge's explanation could certainly include that within his answer.

Poor-sha 07-19-2018 07:12 PM

Thank you for the response.

Questar 07-19-2018 07:27 PM

Very much appreciate you taking the time to respond to this question.

oldfoggy 07-22-2018 10:43 AM

Thanks so very much

in the real world, today, few leaders take the time to support the people who are dependent on their knowledge and experience … I respect your commitment to your customers. THANKS AGAIN for the clarification!

2cnd Chance 07-22-2018 01:59 PM

Thank you, much appreciated!

Z06Shark 07-22-2018 02:05 PM

That was a very well written answer, thank you.

Thomasmoto 07-27-2018 02:13 PM

Now that's useful info. Thanks.

fatsport 07-29-2018 11:48 AM

Tadge answered:
The short answer to your question is that cooling air is super-important on the track, and the vehicle's performance depends on it.

If this is so important on the track, why were they not included with my car(GS Z07) at delivery?
Dealers are friggin clueless :mad:

MSG C5 07-30-2018 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by fatsport (Post 1597689865)
Tadge answered:
The short answer to your question is that cooling air is super-important on the track, and the vehicle's performance depends on it.

If this is so important on the track, why were they not included with my car(GS Z07) at delivery?
Dealers are friggin clueless :mad:

I picked up my Z06/Z07 last week and the dealer PDI tech installed the auxiliary front brake cooling ducts and the other Stage 3 aero components. I asked the sales person to NOT install the Stage 3 and auxiliary cooling ducts because I only plan to track 1-2 times per year, but they still installed them.

So, I guess I have the reverse problem. As a result, I'm planning to mount a street wheel/tire package and keep the OEM wheels/Cup tires for the occasional track run, so when I mount the new wheels, I plan to remove the auxiliary brake ducts.