CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   A&A Vortech C5 Supercharger Build Thread by Toys4Life C5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4169363-a-and-a-vortech-c5-supercharger-build-thread-by-toys4life-c5.html)

Toys4Life C5 07-27-2018 01:04 AM

A&A Vortech C5 Supercharger Build Thread by Toys4Life C5

Guys,
As discussed in my recent post, I ordered the C5 Kit from the highly respected A&A last week and it arrived this week. Ordering, packaging and delivery were top notch!
Here is the beginning of the build thread where I will go through many aspects of the kits contents, the disassembly & installation, tuning and of course the testing and driving.

Vetteman Jack 07-27-2018 02:02 AM

Will be following this. Best of luck getting everything installed and out on the road.

hawkand3 07-27-2018 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Toys4Life C5 (Post 1597676631)
Guys,
As discussed in my recent post, I ordered the C5 Kit from the highly respected A&A last week and it arrived this week. Ordering, packaging and delivery were top notch!
Here is the beginning of the build thread where I will go through many aspects of the kits contents, the disassembly & installation, tuning and of course the testing and driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DihUiUp2nl0

Subscribed :lurk:

lewislgZ06 07-28-2018 09:59 AM

:lurk: Thanks for posting up. I hope all goes well with the install. :thumbs:

BuzC5 07-28-2018 10:03 AM

Subbed
Good luck with the install and hope all goes well!

Toys4Life C5 07-28-2018 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1597676718)
Will be following this. Best of luck getting everything installed and out on the road.

Thanks for the well wishes guys! Installation is well under way. Nothing too difficult so far (except the 250 ft lbs for the new balancer!) but it is quite time consuming - but it is fun. I can tell it is a serious project. The beer stays in the fridge!!!

z06801 07-28-2018 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Toys4Life C5
Thanks for the well wishes guys! Installation is well under way. Nothing too difficult so far (except the 250 ft lbs for the new balancer!) but it is quite time consuming - but it is fun. I can tell it is a serious project. The beer stays in the fridge!!!

Does the balancer get pinned?

Toys4Life C5 07-28-2018 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by z06801 (Post 1597687647)
Does the balancer get pinned?

YES. I did that part yesterday. Drilling the crank/balancer was easier than I thought it would be. Removing the steering rack to get to the balancer was a challenge ...

neutron82 07-29-2018 12:05 AM

that's probably the hardest part of the job, the rest should be downhill... I would suggest getting a laser alignment tool if you don't already have one, if the pulleys are not perfectly aligned you will run into belt problems... if you go into the forced induction section there is a sticky at the top that has a lot of info about this

boostedfury 07-29-2018 09:30 AM

This is great! Can't wait for more vids!

tabbruzz 07-29-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Toys4Life C5 (Post 1597676631)
Guys,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DihUiUp2nl0

yes. Need more vids..

Mickeyrx70 07-29-2018 09:55 AM

:lurk:

Toys4Life C5 07-29-2018 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1597688124)
that's probably the hardest part of the job, the rest should be downhill... I would suggest getting a laser alignment tool if you don't already have one, if the pulleys are not perfectly aligned you will run into belt problems... if you go into the forced induction section there is a sticky at the top that has a lot of info about this

Thanks for bringing up the importance of this - I just read the sticky and it. In all the research I have done about the A&A supercharger kits in the past year, it is not something that seems to comes up too often - but when it does - the owner clearly has serious belt issues. I do not have the laser tool for this - yet,,,.

Wondering how common it is to have a pulley or two that far off that it results in belt problems?? I welcome readers of this thread to comment on their experiences.

Thank you!

neutron82 07-29-2018 11:47 AM

well you may or may not have issues with the blower pulley itself but it isn't uncommon to have a power steering or alternator pulley just a hair off, I had a hell of a time the first time I installed mine... if you like working on your own stuff and having tools then it's a must for any supercharger guy in my opinion, plus if you ever get into upgrading the belt system and things like that it will come in handy

Toys4Life C5 07-29-2018 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1597689861)
well you may or may not have issues with the blower pulley itself but it isn't uncommon to have a power steering or alternator pulley just a hair off, I had a hell of a time the first time I installed mine... if you like working on your own stuff and having tools then it's a must for any supercharger guy in my opinion, plus if you ever get into upgrading the belt system and things like that it will come in handy

Thank you for the good info. I am going to ask Josh or Andy about how common it is. Unless it is super common, I will roll the dice first and see if I have any belt issues. I take it for granted as I have NEVER had any problems with the BELT on my M90 3.8 liter supercharged fiero (380hp) and that has been at 11 lbs of boost for a few years. That car has been my cheap sleeper (runs 11.80 @114) and has been what I have trained myself on tuning boosted applications. Take a look (:-)

tabbruzz 07-29-2018 03:41 PM

That fiero is pretty dan cool. I was supposed to get a white fiero from my moms friend when I was turning 17. Well i was going to buy it from her. She kept it mint until some idiot backed out of their driveway without looking...totaled the car...one with a SC is sick...

zeevette 07-30-2018 12:15 PM

I installed my A&A kit about 5-7 years ago, without using a laser, and it works fine. In fact, it works so fine that I rarely drive it anymore. If I'm in traffic, and try to give it more than about 1/4 throttle, it goes sideways fast. Thinking about doing a Mustang meet cars and coffee because I've got a potential crowd plow. :D

Toys4Life C5 08-01-2018 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by zeevette (Post 1597695386)
I installed my A&A kit about 5-7 years ago, without using a laser, and it works fine. In fact, it works so fine that I rarely drive it anymore. If I'm in traffic, and try to give it more than about 1/4 throttle, it goes sideways fast. Thinking about doing a Mustang meet cars and coffee because I've got a potential crowd plow. :D

Too much power - nice problem to have! You could just put in a bigger pulley (lower the boost) and de-tune it a bit??? What HP level at the rear wheels do you suppose you are at?

zeevette 08-01-2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Toys4Life C5 (Post 1597708847)
Too much power - nice problem to have! You could just put in a bigger pulley (lower the boost) and de-tune it a bit??? What HP level at the rear wheels do you suppose you are at?

About 635 to the wheels. I also have shit tires, 325-30/19 Nitto Invos are not traction tires. Already planning on new tires since I got the clutch engagement figured out, with help from Tick. I really think I'm gonna ditch the SC kit, and change out the blower cam for my old Crane. It was nasty fast before I SC'd it.

neutron82 08-01-2018 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by zeevette (Post 1597710426)
About 635 to the wheels. I also have shit tires, 325-30/19 Nitto Invos are not traction tires. Already planning on new tires since I got the clutch engagement figured out, with help from Tick. I really think I'm gonna ditch the SC kit, and change out the blower cam for my old Crane. It was nasty fast before I SC'd it.

just get some better tires, that will be a lot cheaper than going backwards from where you are now and you will be able to enjoy it again:D... nt05r or et street s/s would both work well in a 305/35/19