CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   Barney F/S again (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4171793-barney-f-s-again.html)

Hib Halverson 08-02-2018 12:44 PM

Barney F/S again

Hi all-

Looks like '95 SN 00140, a Dark Purple Metallic car with a 500-hp, Automasters Street Skinner engine is up for sale again.

I sold it in April of 2016 for $21,000. Apparently the owner has decided, after driving it less than 1000 miles, that he's had enough fun. 1995 VIN 00140 is for sale again for $22,000.00. He's even got it listed with all the spares and the FSMs I included when I sold it to him.

gs568 08-02-2018 08:36 PM

Beautiful color.

Atari_Prime 08-03-2018 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 1597716566)
Hi all-

Looks like '95 SN 00140, a Dark Purple Metallic car with a 500-hp, Automasters Street Skinner engine is up for sale again.

I sold it in April of 2016 for $21,000. Apparently the owner has decided, after driving it less than 1000 miles, that he's had enough fun. 1995 VIN 00140 is for sale again for $22,000.00. He's even got it listed with all the spares and the FSMs I included when I sold it to him.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a58b3d3a13.jpg

combatdoc 08-07-2018 04:37 PM

I wonder if he would be interested in a 2006 convertible vet, built motor, 20,500 origional miles. oops just read bottom line on description, nevermind.

Steve Blehl 11-05-2018 08:28 PM

I bought Barney today.

I bought Barney #140 today. I'm a 66 yr old South Floridian and I've owned some very clean Corvettes: 1976 white/red C3, two C4's, and couple C5's. One of those came from the Pomona area of CA originally. I had been looking for a nice C6 Grand Sport and found Barney first. The seller had some nice cars that just sat in the garages: a gorgeous 94 blk on blk with 25k miles, and a new jet black, sinister looking Z28. What a nice car!
i cant wait to be driving SN140.
Now, if I can only get Hib to return my calls. I hope it's still the same number that was posted in his ad two yrs ago. I'd love to learn more about the car. This one's a keeper.

Crabs 11-05-2018 09:14 PM

Barney is truly a special car with TONS of history.
One of a handful of StreetSkinners built by the old Pirate himself, Jim Van Dorn (God rest his soul).
Somewhere, Hib has a large write-up on some of the backstory, but I don't know exactly where it is at this moment.
Suffice to say, you've gotten a keeper.

Found some of it!
http://corvetteroadtrip.com/stories/cross_country/
http://www.superchevy.com/features/v...-corvette-zr1/

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

Rkreigh 11-06-2018 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Crabs (Post 1598285914)
Barney is truly a special car with TONS of history.
One of a handful of StreetSkinners built by the old Pirate himself, Jim Van Dorn (God rest his soul).
Somewhere, Hib has a large write-up on some of the backstory, but I don't know exactly where it is at this moment.
Suffice to say, you've gotten a keeper.

Found some of it!
http://corvetteroadtrip.com/stories/cross_country/
http://www.superchevy.com/features/v...-corvette-zr1/

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

Barney, Curtis Ward's old Black racer with open pipes, Kurt Whites succession of 415s, Paul D. (oh that TT ZR-1) and a whole succession of cars that put the ZR-1 on the map.

Hib is has published quite a few details and documented Barney online, above is the link to part 6 of the series, and there are many very detailed stories before this one to be sure

take a look for barney over on the zr1 net and corvette forum and like most ZR-1 history the post will have to hang around until someone finds it.

I tried to build a database of the "stroker" and TT ZR-1s and I was surprised that the numbers were small. No doubt some were bought and disappeared, and me old buddy XS MPH and KWhite roached more than a couple of them

Some of the old LPE runs of the yellow bird are quite impressive if you can find the non aero front end and the updated tail. and of course Norm K. has more that a few, the FBI,. and the southern contingents.

Dig through the posts and these old stories come back to life. Now that you stole it, go ahead and enjoy making your own history with Barney, she's all yours.

ccmano 11-06-2018 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Blehl (Post 1598285660)
I bought Barney #140 today. I'm a 66 yr old South Floridian and I've owned some very clean Corvettes: 1976 white/red C3, two C4's, and couple C5's. One of those came from the Pomona area of CA originally. I had been looking for a nice C6 Grand Sport and found Barney first. The seller had some nice cars that just sat in the garages: a gorgeous 94 blk on blk with 25k miles, and a new jet black, sinister looking Z28. What a nice car!
i cant wait to be driving SN140.
Now, if I can only get Hib to return my calls. I hope it's still the same number that was posted in his ad two yrs ago. I'd love to learn more about the car. This one's a keeper.

Congratulations! Be sure to join us over at the ZR1.net forum and the ZR-1Registry. Hib is a regular over there too.
H
:cheers:

Steve Blehl 11-08-2018 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ccmano (Post 1598292458)

Congratulations! Be sure to join us over at the ZR1.net forum and the ZR-1Registry. Hib is a regular over there too.
H
:cheers:

Thanks for the welcome! I have been in contact with Hib.

Jagdpanzer 11-10-2018 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Blehl (Post 1598285660)
Now, if I can only get Hib to return my calls.

California is currently ablaze around the area where Hib lives.
Lets hope he and his family are OK.

Steve Blehl 11-11-2018 01:08 PM

I hope Hib & family are ok, also.

I picked up Barney yesterday in Gainesville. My friend (and mechanic), Rudy from St Lucie Nu Speed (a Corvette guy also) drove me out to get it. He has
a 2014 stock Corvette, stick. It turned out that the fellow that bought it from Hib, it looks like, drove it less than 50 miles in two years.
Driving back, needless to say, I had to see what Barney was all about on the open highway. Dusted off a new Camaro SS in short order and the handling
is so all together in this car! I think the gas was stale for sure. I topped it immediately with 6 gallons of fresh gas before heading home.

I'm built like a football player and I always loved the look of the C4's even though this is my 6th Corvette. Of course, the extra wide body gives me that tad bit more interior shoulder room and I can get real comfortable with driving long distance (260 miles home yesterday). I love the look and stance of the car. I can't wait to take it to Tuesdays cruise night down here on the Treasure Coast.

ZR1Bob 11-13-2018 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Blehl (Post 1598317733)
I hope Hib & family are ok, also.

I picked up Barney yesterday in Gainesville. My friend (and mechanic), Rudy from St Lucie Nu Speed (a Corvette guy also) drove me out to get it. He has
a 2014 stock Corvette, stick. It turned out that the fellow that bought it from Hib, it looks like, drove it less than 50 miles in two years.
Driving back, needless to say, I had to see what Barney was all about on the open highway. Dusted off a new Camaro SS in short order and the handling
is so all together in this car! I think the gas was stale for sure. I topped it immediately with 6 gallons of fresh gas before heading home.

I'm built like a football player and I always loved the look of the C4's even though this is my 6th Corvette. Of course, the extra wide body gives me that tad bit more interior shoulder room and I can get real comfortable with driving long distance (260 miles home yesterday). I love the look and stance of the car. I can't wait to take it to Tuesdays cruise night down here on the Treasure Coast.

I love it--an extra wide for an extra wide! Steve, you got a great car from Hib. You will love it. And as you've probably figured out, this forum (and that of the ZR1Net Registry) are great resources for any ZR-1 owner. You will find, if you have not already, that Hib is very easy to get hold of and will help you any way he can. And as noted, there is a trove of information he has published on Barney that should keep you occupied for quite a while. Enjoy it and if you can make it to the Gathering in Bowling Green KY in May you will enjoy the car and people even more. --Bob

Steve Blehl 11-13-2018 11:31 AM

I want to post an email that I just sent to Hib. He was kind to send over a case of Red Line oil for Barney! We have chatted via email. Here is the E I just sent him:

Hib,

First, I'd like to say that I hope that the fires in southern California are not near you and your family and

that you are all safe. It is so tragic what's going on. I am wishing everyone the best.

I received the Red Line oil yesterday and I want to thank you again. It's a wonderful gesture and a great start to the upkeep

going on Barney! I am big on that. I also don't bastardize a car either like some knuckleheads do.

My friend and mechanic, Rudy, from St Lucie Nu Speed drove me to Gainesville to pick the car up last Saturday 11/10. He has a gorgeous

9000 mile Charcoal Grey 2014 Corvette so needless to say he and I had fun driving there and the 260 miles back to home. The highways were very light

traffic so after 5 mins on the highway, a new black SS Camaro came flying up towards my rear. I downshifted and

blew his doors off, try as he might to beat me. With nobody around us, I hit 135mph. it was then that I realized

I had a great BIG smile on my face and the thrill of the run and beating him was soooo much fun that I couldn't stop smiling!

It brought me right back to my younger days of drag racing and road racing for may years with both cars and a really insane,

very built, 1972 Kawasaki 750 triple two stroke. That one I built after Bill Wirges, the Kawasaki land speed holder at the time at 244mph,

gave me a slightly toned down set of specs of his record holder engine. Crazy, crazy, crazy!

Something tells me that Barney was meant to be with me. Heck, it swayed me away from buying a C6 Grand Sport.

There was even more that happened to indicate that to me. For instance,

I went to Motor Vehicles early this morning and was waiting on a line for them to open so I could register Barney. There was

an old timer octogenarian standing there with a white "Corvette" shirt on. I asked him if he had a Corvette and he says that he worked for 8

years at the St. Louis assembly plant as the head of assembly. I mentioned Barney and when I said it was purple, he smiled and

said: "Deep Purple Metallic". Cooool.

We chatted and he mentioned a couple of 1957 Corvettes that

he knew where they were sitting. He also said he knew where a 1955 was sitting. And then DMV opened. I was going to talk

more but I missed him leaving! Rats! Rats! Rats!

I walked right up to a clerk and she took care of the registration and title of Barney. I looked at the new plate and it had 5 numbers

and ended with the letter "Z"!

Even driving it for the first time locally on the business highway this AM, a little white Nissan Sentra came flying up and hit the brakes behind me.

Then he zoomed up along side of me and spent about 3/4 of a mile checking Barney out with a smile on his face and then

giving me the thumbs-up before slowing back down. Nice to have that happen again.

Like I said, Barney, SN140 is my 90th car. It makes me feel like a kid again. This one is the keeper.

Best Regards,
Steve Bee