CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing-90/)
-   -   Old Guy Back to the track (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing/4174211-old-guy-back-to-the-track.html)

TCW 08-08-2018 05:44 PM

Old Guy Back to the track

My club is renting a 1/8 mile drag strip for some club fun. (Bracket Racing) I'm 69 now and it has been a "few" years since I've been on a drag strip. I have a 6 speed manual trans 06. I can still power shift this car very well! I'm an old school drag racer.

My car has stock tires, Airaid intake, LG Motorsport long tube headers, and a tune after the headers and intake were installed. After all this my LS2 put out 370HP and 375TQ on a dyno.

I would really like some suggestions on how I should race this car. Should I dump the clutch at **** rpm? If so, what RPM. Should I power shift or granny shift?

I really don't care about winning any trophies, I just want to have fun and not look stupid.

Tom

TCW 08-10-2018 05:02 PM

No advice?

493lszosix 08-10-2018 11:37 PM

I think your stock tires will be your limiting factor, any amount of clutch dump will just result in tires spinning, I would try to launch low at limit of tire spin and shift as close to rev limiter as possible but mostly just enjoy it and have fun!

Jerseyvinny 09-02-2018 08:45 PM

Here's my experience from using the 1/8 mile at Englishtown when the 1/4 got too crowded. I have a warmed over LS1 C5 ,327 rwhp with 6 speed manual on Michelin run flats. Track prep was nothing like the 1/4 mile as most of the racers were junior dragsters. I needed to leave the traction control ON because half way down the track the rear would get a little loose if I turned it off like I did in the 1/4. My philosophy is the dial in system is there to keep you from overdriving your car. Like I used to tell my kids when they ran at the track: Drive it on the track as if you still have to drive it home - because you do. I developed a technique which worked for me but others will dismiss. I shifted at 4000 RPM which put me in 3rd gear half way down the track. Doesn't produce the best ETs but it gave me the luxury of looking for the other car and racing both ends of the track. If you're not interested in winning you probably want to shift higher but I'd go easy off the line, especially if you're on run flats and granny shift. You're lucky to have a club that would do this. My club has nobody interested in racing other than me. In short, don't assume you're just on a shorter track. My experience is the 1/8 mile at Englishtown needed a little more respect due to the difference in preparation. Oh, and I'm 76 years old. You'll feel like 19 again.

GARY2004Z06 09-03-2018 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by TCW (Post 1597755185)
My club is renting a 1/8 mile drag strip for some club fun. (Bracket Racing) I'm 69 now and it has been a "few" years since I've been on a drag strip. I have a 6 speed manual trans 06. I can still power shift this car very well! I'm an old school drag racer.

My car has stock tires, Airaid intake, LG Motorsport long tube headers, and a tune after the headers and intake were installed. After all this my LS2 put out 370HP and 375TQ on a dyno.

I would really like some suggestions on how I should race this car. Should I dump the clutch at **** rpm? If so, what RPM. Should I power shift or granny shift?

I really don't care about winning any trophies, I just want to have fun and not look stupid.

Tom

Hope we are not too late.
Do not dump the clutch.
There is a good chance of break something in our late model Vettes.
Here is a link for some tips.
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Launch_Tips.html
It is best to start off at a lower rpm like you are starting from a traffic light.
Once that has been mastered, you can raise the launch rpm to meet the track conditions.
On a well prepped track, your street tires should hold a launch somewhere between 3000 and 3500 rpm.
Your controlled clutch release must induce enough slip to not shock the drivetrain and must be timed with a controlled throttle squeeze to prevent a bog.
As for shifting, a powershift on street tires may break the tires loose excessively and in not recommended.
There are very small gains to be had when powershifting over a car where clean quick shifts are executed.
(Ranger has tips for shifting also in the link above.)
More importantly, have fun.

ghoastrider1 09-29-2018 08:02 AM

great to see you back into drag racing. I am 68 and have an 86 c-4. I havent raced in years ,then bought this "all most a parts car" vette. I live very close to IRP here in Indy, where they run the US Nationals. My vette is pretty much stock and being an 86, just aint that fast. That being said, I just love running down the strip.loose or win.still a lot of fun. Aint nothing like watching the lights count down and getting a jump on the next lane over. Rocks me back in the seat, wheels spinning, mannnn, what fun. Keep your youth, or part of the memories anyway, and race it. Its actually more fun now than back in the 60s because I KNOW these new stangs, cameros, ect are faster than me, but I am there for myself, . have fun, keep up the wave.

Jerseyvinny 10-14-2018 08:59 PM

Ghostrider gets it. It’s all about having fun and feeling young again. It’s better than the 60’s because with the dial number on your window, it doesn’t matter if the other guy (or girl) is two seconds faster than you. The dial in number makes everybody equal. Now all you need to concentrate on is a good reaction time and running the number on your window. Not as easy as it sounds but at least there’s no problem with the other guy cheating by not being ‘stock’ or having to run against a car that you feel doesn’t belong in your class. (Both were problems under the old pounds/horsepower system in stock classes.) Plus there’s no bonus for abusing your car so don’t. There’s just something about the competition that’s addictive.

TCW 10-19-2018 03:40 PM

It was outstanding fun!!!! I walked out to the "tree" and looked down the track and so many memories came flooding back.

My first passes were 11.4 to 11.1. My tires were spinning really bad through 2nd gear. Once I figured out how to avoid so much tire spin, I dialed in at 10.9. I did really well until I finally broke out with a 10.4. Even though I lost, I felt good about improving my time by a full second from my first trip down the track in over 50 years.

Thanks to ALL of you who gave me advice on how to launch a Corvette.:cheers:

Tom

GARY2004Z06 10-28-2018 08:21 AM

Glad you had a good time. :thumbs: