CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   C8.R sound (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4174466-c8-r-sound.html)

King Dranzer 08-09-2018 11:57 AM

C8.R sound

The link to audio
https://sportscar365.com/industry/au...-turbo-engine/

Just by adding turbo I doubt the sound of the engine can change that drastically. It is not even sounding like Corvette. There is a possibility of wrong audio track being uploaded but if it is of the C8.R then I am unable to pinpoint the cause for such a drastic change in engine sound compared to previous leak.

If anyone here knows the reason please explain how it is possible and what is the cause.

NY09C6 08-09-2018 02:29 PM

Turbos do drastically change the sound of a car for the worst.

IMO

King Dranzer 08-09-2018 03:43 PM

Thanks to turbos now I am unable to differentiate American V8 from European V8.

Never expected turbos to have such a impact on how the car sounds. I have heard previous gen Corvettes with turbo but none of them sounded this smooth. Now I am itching to dig deep and collect more info on the turbos used by Chevrolet for C8.R. Very interesting.

four0nefive 08-09-2018 05:21 PM

It's sounds similar to the Ferrari 488 or like a Mclaren 720s with a bit of a deeper tone to it. It's a change from what we're used to, but it's not too bad in my opinion. I wonder if this means the C8 will have a twin turbo V8 to start with since pretty much every car in the GTLM and GTD series has an engine based on the production version of the car (I think back when BMW ran the Z4, it had a V8, but that's the only one I can think of that doesn't used a production based engine).

KnightDriveTV 08-09-2018 10:13 PM

Turbo's but also 4 valve heads will change the sound of the engine. We also don't know what firing order or crank configuration it has either. I will say, if you've heard the BMW's or even MUCH worse, the Ford GT's in real life...while the BMW's have a rumble and sound kind of cool with the wastegates opened, the Ford GT's sound like quacking ducks on downshifts. This audio track has me actually a little inspired because, the car, given this long distance audio, is pretty solid sounding for a turbo car.

I've built tons of forced induction cars...4 cylinders and 6's mostly...you can do a lot with the sound for sure. I've had some monster sounding turbo'd cars that are like second to none.

This car does look ass heavy (visually I mean, not weight bias, though I'm sure there is a rear weight bias of course) and I will admit, I'm a little mixed on the side intake design but....have to see the production car to decide...no way around it.

CFHay 08-10-2018 02:58 AM

The flat plane crank has more to do with the change in sound, not even sure that car is turbo'd.

King Dranzer 08-10-2018 04:34 AM

Flat plane crank makes much more sense for affecting the sound of the engine. But seriously I doubt Chevrolet shifting to flat-plane in Corvettes in C8 even if they do I don't expect it this soon with a prototype already out for track testing.

Unless Chevrolet found a way to make Cross-plane American V8 sound like Flat-plane European V8 by only tweaking exhaust and adding turbo which can be remedied by aftermarket components. This engine will surprise and probably disappoint Rumbling Corvette lovers.

AORoads 08-10-2018 06:04 AM

That is a very different-sounding engine! I like it. As to disappointing Corvette owners, it depends on which model it's in. My thought is it would go well with the ME, not so much if there's a separate FE C8. But, if the power's there, and the tech works, it could delight owners regardless of model.

King Dranzer 08-10-2018 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1597764410)
That is a very different-sounding engine! I like it. As to disappointing Corvette owners, it depends on which model it's in. My thought is it would go well with the ME, not so much if there's a separate FE C8. But, if the power's there, and the tech works, it could delight owners regardless of model.

That is the sound of ME variant

snow 08-10-2018 06:40 AM

sounds sexy.... IMHO

AORoads 08-10-2018 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by King Dranzer (Post 1597764447)
That is the sound of ME variant

Then, I doubt there'll be any objection, certainly not from me!

carsismeZ06 08-10-2018 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by CFHay (Post 1597764288)
The flat plane crank has more to do with the change in sound, not even sure that car is turbo'd.

Correct. The difference in sound is down to a (likely) flat-plane crankshaft. Turbocharging engines changes exhaust sound by dampening it, as gas is sent through the turbo before exiting the exhaust system.

While it doesn't have the same grunty V8 sound, I do like this new direction with flat-plane crankshafts. This new car is going to be a big departure and provides and opportunity to begin new traditions in the Corvette family.

King Dranzer 08-10-2018 08:43 AM

Yes now after I think of it repeatedly the most obvious change for the engine to sound like that can only be change in crank from cross-plane to flat-plane.

So finally Chevrolet decided to drop in Flat-plane for Corvette. Very Interesting. Good job Chevrolet and Team Corvette.

RapidC84B 08-13-2018 03:47 PM

Sounds like a Ford GT to me... rumor is they're testing V8 and V6 options. I will not ever support a V6 Corvette of any kind.

NY09C6 08-13-2018 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Sounds like a Ford GT to me... rumor is they're testing V8 and V6 options. I will not ever support a V6 Corvette of any kind.

I do not think you will ever see a true v6 corvette. It is possible you will see a hybrid v6 vette with electric front axle. The people who like hugging trees will have no issue with the v6. The rest of us will get the v8 cars.